• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

opinions please

JFive

Private
Minuteman
Oct 26, 2008
East
custom rifle won't shoot cold. Let me start by explaining I just had a rifle rebarreled Bat action custom barrel rifle shot very well in previous barrel 6.5x284 (just burned out) rechambered in 284 now it won't shoot unless you have 7 to 8 rounds fired then it starts to shoot excellent goes from a 1" group to a 1/4" or less group with same load but only after 7-8 rounds to heat it up, have done this several times with same results. tried it with a fouled barrel doesn't matter. If I shoot 7 rounds then shoot a three shot group the three shot group is always excellent, if I do this and let the barrel cool it goes back to about an 1". myself and friends have some ideas but the custom barrel company tells me they highly doubt it. Would like some other opinions and see what the consensus is.

Re: opinions please

Not a lot of information here. ? Is your barrel free floated? Maybe some pics of your set-up could help?? What are your ideas that you and your friends have come up with? I would guess it's going to be something simple that is the culprit. Good luck.

action pillar bedded heavy varmint barrel free floated everything done by well known professional gunsmith.

It's been my experience that sometimes a rifle just doesn't make a good cold-bore shot. I've had several rifles that it took a few rounds to get it to group. Very accurate rifles with heavy or relatively heavy barrels that would shoot 1/2 MOA consistently once they warmed up. I just chalked it up to that particular rifle being that way. No cure... And those rifles now belong to someone else. Someone who doesn't mind.

I had a similar problem once, a run of the Tubb Final Finish bullets corrected it. Expensive custom barrel, just a few rough spots/burrs I guess. Shoots like a dream now!

Z

Barrel was bore scoped looks great! barrel does not copper foul at all. It just does not shoot until the 7-8th round. I was planning to shoot matches with this rifle but, the matches I shoot you don't get any sighters or foulers.