• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Opinions Please

kchustle

Private
Minuteman
May 10, 2011
OP, KS
I would like your opinions and advice on the parts that I am looking at for my first bolt gun. Here are my choices and reasoning. Let me know if my reasoning is screwed.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Gun</span>:
-Remington 700 AAC SD - Seems like a good base gun (Considered Savage and you guys talked me out of it). It has the 1/10 twist instead of the 1/12 that the standard SPS tactical has and it will save me some money when I get a can for it later on down the road.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Parts I like</span>:
-B&C M40 with adjustable cheeck piece and but plate. The amount of adjustability seems perfect for consistency and comfort. Price isn't too bad all things considered.
-Millet TRS 4-16X50 mil/mil - Stopped by the bushnell outlet and had a look. Seems like decent glass for the money. I will upgrade when my shooting exceeds the quality of the glass (this will be a while as I have plenty to learn).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Parts that I need help with</span>:
-Scope base and rings. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me how to measure anything. I just don't know where to start since the prices range from $20 to $200. I want quality but I don't want to buy the most expensive just becuase it is the most expensive if there are better values.
-Bottom Metal-Since Badger is right down the road from me I almost feel an obligation but if someone tells me that the Wyatt products on midway that are half price are competitive in quality then I could get over it I guess.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">My thoughts on the process</span>:
-Buy the gun
-Buy the scope and mounting hardware
-Get it zeroed, start learning and develop a load for the gun
-Upgrade the stock because the factory stock is a limiting factor
-Add the bottom metal when I am ready to try to compete in something
-Upgrade the glass when I feel like I have exceeded the capability of the Millett or just feel like I can justify the cost of the better quality.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Opinions Please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kchustle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would like your opinions and advice on the parts that I am looking at for my first bolt gun. Here are my choices and reasoning. Let me know if my reasoning is screwed.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Gun</span>:
-Remington 700 AAC SD - Seems like a good base gun (Considered Savage and you guys talked me out of it). It has the 1/10 twist instead of the 1/12 that the standard SPS tactical has and it will save me some money when I get a can for it later on down the road.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Parts I like</span>:
-B&C M40 with adjustable cheeck piece and but plate. The amount of adjustability seems perfect for consistency and comfort. Price isn't too bad all things considered.
-Millet TRS 4-16X50 mil/mil - Stopped by the bushnell outlet and had a look. Seems like decent glass for the money. I will upgrade when my shooting exceeds the quality of the glass (this will be a while as I have plenty to learn).

<span style="text-decoration: underline">The Parts that I need help with</span>:
-Scope base and rings. I'm not asking for anyone to tell me how to measure anything. I just don't know where to start since the prices range from $20 to $200. I want quality but I don't want to buy the most expensive just becuase it is the most expensive if there are better values.
-Bottom Metal-Since Badger is right down the road from me I almost feel an obligation but if someone tells me that the Wyatt products on midway that are half price are competitive in quality then I could get over it I guess.

<span style="text-decoration: underline">My thoughts on the process</span>:
-Buy the gun
-Buy the scope and mounting hardware
-Get it zeroed, start learning and develop a load for the gun
-Upgrade the stock because the factory stock is a limiting factor
-Add the bottom metal when I am ready to try to compete in something
-Upgrade the glass when I feel like I have exceeded the capability of the Millett or just feel like I can justify the cost of the better quality.

Thanks in advance. </div></div>

You have the right mind-set going on so far. I would personally change the order of the "thought of process" list to buying the rifle,getting the stock,mounting the optics and zeroing then. I recommend this technique simply because the zero from the factory stock vs. the new one might be a little off and you may need to re-adjust the scope because of LOP(length of Pull)differences. If you plan on using the B & c stock the Wyatts is a drop-in design but only uses their magazines, not AICS ones. The Badger DBM costs more,takes AICS mags and is more robust but needs additional inletting for the bottom metal to fit. If your willing to get additional inletting though, I'd recommend a CDI DBM due to price and over-all quality for price.Plus if you need the stock inletted, Jeff at CDI can do it at reasonable price and time frame typically. On your other stings all seem to be in order. Can't go wrong with a 700 imho. On mounting solutions, I like going with a steel NF or Badger base,minimal Seekins Precision then last is a good ol' EGW. I like my rings aluminum, get good quality rings because they won't require lapping to be truely concentric.These are just my .02 cents. Goodshootin'

~R

Thanks for the input on the process. It will largely depend on cash flow. If I can swing the stock immediately I will. Otherwise it will have to be re-zeroed. Any reason for you the base recommendation or explanation for why you would choose aluminum rings?

yeah,steel base because the receiver is steel and aluminum rings because the scope is aluminum.

~Reagan