• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Oppinions Wanted

Skid1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 5, 2011
Arvada, CO
As I posted on here earlier, my awesome wife got me a Remington SS 5R .308 for Christmas. I've been looking for a scope mount ad base for it. I want to use it for an occasional hunting rifle, but want to get into long range competitions. I think I'll get the Talley 30mm Med rings, but unsure on the base and scope. For the base it's either a EGW base or a Weaver base. The scope is the SWFA SS 3-9X42 or a Vortex Viper 6-24X50. Thoughts? Concerns?
Thanks

Re: Oppinions Wanted

Those are both fine scopes. For me if I wanted one on a rifle for shooting out to some distance I would go for the higher powered vortex.

Also consider Warne bases. I have used them on a couple of rifles and never had an issue.

Depending on the type of long range shooting you are going to do, more magnification will be a real asset.

+1 more magnification. I can not speak to SWFA on CS, but I can tell you Vortex will bend over backwards to make you happy if a problem ever comes up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thoughts? Concerns? Thanks </div></div>Thoughts: Nothing wrong with an EGW base.

Concerns: How much of that 24x top end, on that particlular scope, will you be able to use?

Don't buy rings until you decide on a scope. I would lean more toward the 16 power vortex pst over the 24 for tactical comps

Does the EGW base have a built in recoil lug? I know the Weaver does.
From what I've read on here, SWFA has excellent CS.
I was thinking about doing the NRA F/Class, but some of the more tactical/sniper type of contests entice me too. I don't want too much power to make the scope useless for hunting. I have never seen either of these in any of the gun shops close to me to actually look at. Just want the best scope I can afford. Looking to spend under $1K

I went with the Viper Vortex PST 4-16X50 scope with the EBR2 MRAD reticle.This will be going on my Rem SS 5R, so will med rings work, or can I get by with lows?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Skid</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I went with the Viper Vortex PST 4-16X50 scope with the EBR2 MRAD reticle.This will be going on my Rem SS 5R, so will med rings work, or can I get by with lows? </div></div> Check the lows against the height of the Seekins lows. If they're that high or more they will work.

I put a bushnell 3-12x44 ffp scope on mine nice clear glass. I really like it will probably upgrade in the future, but I am satisfied for now.

Hawke sidewinder "Tactical" not the normal sidewinder, that uses different glass , the best scope I have found for the money in the pricerange you are talking about.
Hawke

I've got a Weaver 20MOA rail on a 700 Varmint with a 56mm obj, with TPS lows (.925) which leaves me with about a 1/16th of clearance to the barrel. Rough estimations say your bell should be .11" further from the barrel so in theory the seekins lows would work but it'll be so close that rough math just isn't good enough, and scope covers won't fit, get the meds, or both and return whichever you don't use.

Oh wait. What profile is the 5R barrel? That may change everything.