• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Ops Core AMP

SkyScrapin

Strictly Offensive Kit
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2010
Dallas, TX
strictlyoffensivekit.com
Probably should be in the equipment forum but I imagine it’s better asked in this focus group.

For you AMP users, did you go with the NFI feature? Why?

Looking to use this headset with a PTT and Yaesu most likely helmet mounted, but not always.

Reactions: broskibrobro
Yes, because I shoot inside a good deal and it is quiet as fuck while still having full communications.

Not sure. The headsets are great in general. They give you more situational awareness. I am not sure the nfmi would help, but it is quieter, and I want my ears to last as long as possible.

Reactions: TheHorta
I use the nfmi plugs out side almost every time i shoot and there is a very noticable difference between with and without.
My 223 without the plugs is almost uncomfotably loud with the plugs my 308 is very quiet almost .22 lr quiet

Best money i have spent

Where is this mythical website that uses the "clasky" code? I assumed it would be the schweet site that begins TNxx, but they don't have AMPs.

Reactions: stefan73
What’s the realistic battery life you guys are getting with the plugs? Is the 80 hours pretty accurate?

I have them on order and it blows my mind that the sordins have 600h. Going to be a drastic difference but batteries are cheap so no big deal

Bought amps in march, they recently just stopped working. Unit started taking longer and longer to turn on. Then now they won't turn on anymore. They've been babied, so no hard knocks or drops.

just sent them in yesterday. We'll see what happens. I'll post updates if anyone cares.

I have the connectorized non NFI ones.

I fucking hate ear buds so I skipped that option. However the thing that really sold me on trying them was the fact that both of the downleads are modular where you can run single, dual or none and not have a cable permanently attached to the unit as well as being able to take the mic off.

Secondly the quick way to change it from helmet mount to over the head mount, especially from lack of cables and shit to stow/remove from the helmet just makes it worth it from just that.

Sound quality is slightly better than Peltors. Had to get used to 'where' the sound was at first as it seemed like it was picking up the direction better than Peltors, yet I used Peltors so much I had somehow learned/associated where the sound was coming from, which was now a bit different with the AMP.

They feel lighter, helmet attachment is better and they are all dirty and slightly beat up with zero problems. Only weird thing is, apparently they turn themselves off after X amount of time of you not touching any of the volume buttons, so for the first few days I thought the battery life on them was shit until I realized what was happening.

Im 3 weeks into waiting for an order that could take up to 10 weeks.

Got the NFI option so as not to be called a "poor".

Hope you get good CS from them.

They were very responsive to my comms even though I identified myself as a "cheap bastard" looking to get a discount.

They were pretty funny in saying "cheap bastards" typically dont spend a grand on gear.

Reactions: Boon20
I put my amex on file for when I ordered mines.

I was order# 545XX. 2 months later I get a call from amex at 7am asking if it was me that charged $54,5XX on my card. I told them no and they refused the charge. Seems like who ever tried running the credit card machine goofed and put in the order number as the charge number. Later on that day I got an paypal invoice from GENTEX for the correct amount. Seemed a lil sketchy to get a paypal invoice from a big company so I called to make sure. While on the phone I asked them to try the card again but this time the correct amount instead of 54k. Credit card approved, so then all was well. Still got another email asking for paypal money even though I paid already with my credit card.

I guess they are more geared towards huge gov contracts and not low volume orders, but man their system sucks.

All in all, I really like the ear pros when they work. But honestly this has been the most frustrating experience I've had with buying and using ear pro. Also no prepaid label to send back. If it takes them 2-3 months to replace them, I might have an aneurysm.

Last edited:
I traded in my Peltors for the AMP and absolutely regret it, but I can't trade the other direction. I will say that the sound is better and it allows me to determine direction. That's the only good thing. All the rest is a negative but you probably wouldn't notice unless you live with them on your head and connected to a radio.

Opposite experience for me. I traded Peltors for the AMP and absolutely love the AMP in every way. Much better as active hearing protection and combined with the NFMI plugs is a level the Peltor can only dream of. I have spent quite a bit of time using the radio and functionality seems similar to me. I did upgrade the pads to the Noisefighter gel cups (which I also had on the peltors) but other than that they are as factory. The active hearing protection is truly directional and really upgrades situational awareness.

The AMPs are actually better with the foam cups on all testing, according to Ops Core. I think I have one of the first pairs to hit the wild, and other than a broken battery cap, no problems at all. Big fan of the NFMI plugs, especially for shooting indoors.

Opposite experience for me. I traded Peltors for the AMP and absolutely love the AMP in every way. Much better as active hearing protection and combined with the NFMI plugs is a level the Peltor can only dream of. I have spent quite a bit of time using the radio and functionality seems similar to me. I did upgrade the pads to the Noisefighter gel cups (which I also had on the peltors) but other than that they are as factory. The active hearing protection is truly directional and really upgrades situational awareness.
Is there a noticible difference between the gel cups and factory?

This might be a stupid question but how do the gel cups handle cold weather?

Is there a noticible difference between the gel cups and factory?

This might be a stupid question but how do the gel cups handle cold weather?

Per Ops Core the gel cups are several dB louder. I don't think it matters much, but they were very firm on it.

Reactions: Boon20
The directional capability is awesome. I don't use the plugs because I wear my helmet for hours at a time and I find plugs of any kind (except molded) uncomfortable. I hate the way they feel when they've been in for a while; it's like an itch I can't scratch.

The amp is hardened and prevents interference noise with some of the coms we use (used to have constant clicking in my Peltors) and gives better noise reduction when noise is in front of me but seems really loud from the rear; stand a couple feet to the side of someone on the range, spin in a circle, and I would bet the blast is louder from the rear or rear oblique and quieter when you are facing them. I dont know if it's a headset issue or clamp issue.

I like that I can strip them down to be ear pro when I am on the range and not have to stow cables. I am not a fan of the multifunction programmable PTT. Maybe that will change with time. It may be user error, but I also don't like that I don't have coms without having noise amplification.

I'm sure they will grow on me but with only a couple of months experience with them, I'm not a huge fan.

The mounting is more secure than ARC rail clamps on the Peltor but are more obtrusive. I appreciate that they won't pop off my ears like ARC clamps can.

They seem to eat batteries faster than my Peltors and I don't like that they turn off nearly immediately after the timeout beep.

I’ve had these for nearly a year now, and they do not disappoint. I bought every dang accessory they offered, connectorized them, and hooked em up to my comms via a PTT. The directional sound, construction, helmet mount and clamping design, and connectorized portion is well thought out. The NFMI are still in the packaging, haven’t opened them. I should, but most of my shooting is outside suppressed. I’ll crack them open this weekend and give them a test around a ton of shooters.

Need to order a second set for my backup helmet.

I got mine in about 2 weeks ago and went hog hunting 3 days ago. The best I have used so far. My second is on back order as we speak.

Thinking of picking up a pair for range earpro and as a general aviation headset. How are they for dealing with engine noise? Would appreciate any first hand experiences, especially if anyone has both the Amps and something like the Bose A20 to compare.

Wore them at one class and loved them.

I have a class Sunday to test more.

If I'm just shooting, not listening, I don't wear them.

Not sure if they would help with engine noise, they amplified air handlers in the range.

Remind me again to tell about my Sunday use.

Thinking of picking up a pair for range earpro and as a general aviation headset. How are they for dealing with engine noise? Would appreciate any first hand experiences, especially if anyone has both the Amps and something like the Bose A20 to compare.
I have the Bose A20s but have not used the AMPS, just all of the comtac series. I don't think the plugs would interface without an adaptor. Also, the A20s would be a lot more comfortable for cross-country flight. The shooting earpro hugs your head a lot more tightly because you're going to be putting a stock to your face and stuff in my experience. I would probably recommend keeping your A20s and getting the amps just for shooting use, but again I have not used the amps.

The AMPs with the NFMI plugs was a game changer for me with any indoor classes since they give me plenty of protection but still let me hear the instructions.

I will say say that my Sordins, although not as natural sounding, are louder and amplify more so I do feel like I can hear animals better in them when hunting. I still rock the AMPs hunting since the helmet interface is so much better.

I have the Bose A20s but have not used the AMPS, just all of the comtac series. I don't think the plugs would interface without an adaptor. Also, the A20s would be a lot more comfortable for cross-country flight. The shooting earpro hugs your head a lot more tightly because you're going to be putting a stock to your face and stuff in my experience. I would probably recommend keeping your A20s and getting the amps just for shooting use, but again I have not used the amps.
Yep, the plugs were going to be an issue. My plan was to combine two adapters, one for impedance conversion and a second for the dual plug format to get around that particular problem. My concern was that after all of the jerry rigging it would still be a subpar solution.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for dual use :)

Reactions: RKM556
Yep, the plugs were going to be an issue. My plan was to combine two adapters, one for impedance conversion and a second for the dual plug format to get around that particular problem. My concern was that after all of the jerry rigging it would still be a subpar solution.

What can I say, I'm a sucker for dual use :)
Oh man I get that, let alone the fact that both of those headsets are like a grand a piece!!

Btw, what do you fly?

Oh man I get that, let alone the fact that both of those headsets are like a grand a piece!!

Btw, what do you fly?
Just a clapped out flight school 172. Still working on my PPL.

I do have my eye on one of these, been following their progress for the past year and very impressed with the engineering and attention to detail. Hoping to see some flight tests later this year!

Last edited:
Just a clapped out flight school 172. Still working on my PPL.

I do have my eye on one of these, been following their progress for the past year and very impressed with the engineering and attention to detail. Hoping to see some flight tests later this year!
Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's the only discussion I've found regarding AMPS for aviation use—did you ever go through with it? Looks like Gentex actually makes a GA plug adapter for them.

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but it's the only discussion I've found regarding AMPS for aviation use—did you ever go through with it? Looks like Gentex actually makes a GA plug adapter for them.
I went with the Bose A20 headset. I remember seeing somewhere that the ops core noise cancelling wasn't tuned to handle continuous droning sounds, like an airplane engine. Combined with the long gentex lead times, pushed me into the dedicated aviation headset camp.

Reactions: qsito
I used a set of AMPs for a few months. They did not live up to the hype. I thought the Contact V headset is much better.

The AMPs were very uncomfortable for prolonged use. I would wear them as ear pro in the Jeep when the top was down for my work commute and they weren't too bad, but once it was for longer than 30 min I quickly began to feel how tight they squeezed my head and ears. The Contact Vs with the gel cups were way better.

Also, hearing quality I thought was better in the Vs. The AMPs picked up ambient wind noise whereas the Vs drowned that out without sacrificing gearing access to conversations for example.

The only pro to the AMPs were the helmet adapters, but you can still use those with Contacts.

I sold my pair of AMPs and kept both pairs of Contacts Vs. I use foam plugs inside and crank the volume up. Works great. I used this setup on a 2 full day course at Ridgeline in NH and only began to notice discomfort from the gel cups squeezing on my hat towards the end of 7-8 hours.

The AMPs were very uncomfortable for prolonged use. I would wear them as ear pro in the Jeep when the top was down for my work commute and they weren't too bad, but once it was for longer than 30 min I quickly began to feel how tight they squeezed my head and ears. The Contact Vs with the gel cups were way better.
My AMPs were also quite uncomfortable, sitting too tight and bringing noticeable pressure in about a half hour, until I stretched out the headband. After that, I have all-day comfort in them, comparable, if not better, than my old MSA/Sordin Supreme X's with gel cups.

Reactions: NHPiper