• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ops inc brake install

JMil72

Wheel chock
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Maine
image.jpg

is the black washer a crush washer, and is it the first one in the order?

The black washer is just a thick shim to take up the space normally taken up by a crush washer. It goes on first with the larger ID chamfer towards the thread shoulder. Then use shims to time it from there.

Reactions: JMil72
If I'm using timing shims, I use Rocksett. I shim to hand tighten to about 11:00 - 11:30 to get a decent torque at 12:00. Some shim kits include thickness down to 0.002" (some do not), which can help. For MD's without flats, I use a second set of barrel clamps/vise pads in a smaller un mounted vise on the muzzle device, some just use a square shank screwdriver (if prying on a flat) through the slots as a lever. I usually clamp the barrel close to the MD, but if I have to use a reaction rod, it's a Midwest Industries (or similar that's not aluminum) type that has the gas key slot bar. The set up on the left of this picture is for barrel nuts. not MD's
MItuz1fm.jpg

Edit to add: the thick spacer is for long cut barrel threads with a short threaded muzzle device (looks like yours are). Your barrel threads don't appear to have a relief cut next to the shoulder, and depending on the MD thread chamfer and number of shims required, it can be an issue, but I don't think this will be a problem when using the spacer.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMil72