• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Ops Inc Model 12 30cal, is it just too big?

mtm87tx

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2006
Texas
For those who have the 11x1.5" 28oz monster can, do you regret going that large?

Do you truly get 40db reduction as compared to 27-32 of the 8.25-9" competitors?

Im looking at this for my first can for 30 cal bolt and gas as well as .22 cal gas.

Pros for me:
Warranty after talking to Ron and he stated he has never seen a suppressor come back he hasn't been able to fix

Ops Inc muzzle breaks I like the function and styling of

8-10db greater reduction? I'm skeptical but it is longer by almost 3"

Cons:
Size and weight

I was almost sold on an AAC 762SD but if the reductions are truely 10db better it might be worth going OPS INC

Re: Ops Inc Model 12 30cal, is it just too big?

Twice as heavy as Gemtech's sandstorm. Not twice the reduction in db.....

The reflex design does a good job of inducing mirage...traps those hot gasses, and uses them to heat the barrel it covers.

Generally requires special contouring at the end of the barrel. Which is an added expense. To use their pricey mounts. Which aren't even qd....

I've used and seen OPS 12th cans over 25 years old, having been issued to dozens of guys over the years, still soldiering on.

Simple and built like a Russian tank, they are the Energizer Bunny of Special Forces cans. I'm sure they'll be around a long time after many of the newer Gucci cans have been retired.

Not the newest design, but there's a reason they're still highly regarded (and it's not just sentimental).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those who have the 11x1.5" 28oz monster can, do you regret going that large?

Do you truly get 40db reduction as compared to 27-32 of the 8.25-9" competitors?

Im looking at this for my first can for 30 cal bolt and gas as well as .22 cal gas.

Pros for me:
Warranty after talking to Ron and he stated he has never seen a suppressor come back he hasn't been able to fix

Ops Inc muzzle breaks I like the function and styling of

8-10db greater reduction? I'm skeptical but it is longer by almost 3"

Cons:
Size and weight

I was almost sold on an AAC 762SD but if the reductions are truely 10db better it might be worth going OPS INC </div></div>

I have one I am waiting on so I cant comment on their performance just yet but as a side note..... don't shoot rimfire thru a centerfire can. Baffle strikes are no good.

No frills, built like a tank, and the indexing collar, though not QD, gives the best concentric alignment for any single point can in my opinion. Not to mention they are included in the price of the can. For a bolt rifle, single point attachment will give you the best accuracy compared to QD, and the OPS Inc only comes 8.5" off the barrel, the other 2.5 inches reflex back over the barrel to the indexing collar. So in considering single point cans like the AAC Cyclone K (Shorter 7.62 can)which is 7.25 inches past the barrel, the AAC Cyclone which hangs 8.75 inches off the barrel, the Gemtech Sandstorm which hangs 7.8 inches off the barrel, and the AWC Thundertrap which hangs 8.3 inches off the barrel, its not that monsterous or large. Its actually about average in length past the barrel, and considering its priced the same to $400 less than the ones mentioned above, except for the Cyclone K, I think its a bargain for the quality of suppression you get.

Don't get wrapped up in Db reduction claims, shoot them and hear for yourself. I personally have Ops Inc, AAC, and Surefire, and i like my Ops Inc the best.

Oh and don't put a .22LR through a centerfire can, you will regret it.
eek.gif

I am about to start the paper work on one, even though big and bulky I think it is a good life long investment. As long as a 18" 308 is somewhat hearing safe I am fine despite the claims on their site.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Witch Doctor, I'm going to address your nonsense point by point. Not because I'm picking on you, but because I don't want anyone else who doesn't know better to be corrupted by your ignorance in this matter.</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the indexing collar, though not QD, gives the best concentric alignment for any single point can in my opinion.</div></div>The Ops 12th model has <span style="text-decoration: underline">two points of alignment. The collar and the barrel threads. Therefore it is not a "single point can".</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention they are included in the price of the can.</div></div> A lot of dealers don't include any mounts anymore. Partly because they have no idea the thread pattern of the platform you intend on mounting it on. Stocking all options is cost prohibitive. The other reason is because it allows them to sell more suppressors, at a perceived lower price. Purchasers should verify what if any mounts will be included at the purchase price.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a bolt rifle, single point attachment will give you the best accuracy compared to QD</div></div>This statement is complete and utter made up bull shit. That's really the nicest way to put it. Any properly designed, properly made QD system will not adversely effect the accuracy of a host weapon. Plainly put, only the shooter rifle and ammo will play a role in accuracy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the OPS Inc only comes 8.5" off the barrel, the other 2.5 inches reflex back over the barrel to the indexing collar.</div></div>Those 2.5" of telescoped suppressor are heating the barrel faster and more efficiently than a standard muzzle attached suppressor. This is where that BONUS!! mirage comes from. Hell Yeah super sweet mirage!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and considering its priced the same to $400 less than the ones mentioned above, except for the Cyclone K, I think its a bargain for the quality of suppression you get.</div></div>A lot of individuals took advantage of Gemtech's Gemtax event and got those sandstorms with a free $200 transfer tax thrown in.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and don't put a .22LR through a centerfire can, you will regret it.
eek.gif
</div></div>Again, seriously doubtful as nothing horrible will happen.

Why is QD important at all? Heck I'm not sure what to call an Ops Inc, because it doesn't require one to remove the current muzzle device in order to attach the suppressor. My 2 AR-15's setup for the Ops Inc 12th model in .223 both have barrel contours that with a standard collar are only 2 1/2 turns to fully tight. According to Ron, this isn't what he likes best, but how the military likes them. Still it's pretty darn quick to attach.

I do know that for few of my firearms which use plain thread protectors, the damn things come loose all the freakin time. Something that kills accuracy. So I end up pulling them when I shoot unsuppressed. (Recently I put flats on my 10/22 muzzle nut in order to tighten it. Not sure if that tightening will mess accuracy up though.)

Stuff I like about my .223 12th model.

-Accurate. (seem to get a tiny accuracy boost. XM193 will group 1 1/3moa without, and 3/4moa with.)
-No point of impact shift. (Not sure if I've been lucky, but both rifles seem to be unaffected by the suppressor in regards to shift.)
-Durable. (I accidentally thwacked the muzzle against large rocks when it was slung up. Slid down a hill after hanging targets. No loss of zero. I'm not sure I'd trust a single point can to not get tweeked in a fall. 1/60th of a degree is tiny you know.)
-Quiet. (Ear safe for short durations. Way more pleasant than the M4-1000, M4-2000, G5, Halo. These are the only 5.56 cans I've heard and got a chance to identify.)

Stuff that I think is interesting to note.
-Mounting system is pretty darn dependent on the barrel contour being concentric and square to the bore. The rear collar is most likely the most important index point. Probably the reason they say it's okay to use a crush washer and provide one. If I remember correctly the crush washer should only be crushed in 90 degree increments. Back off and crush. This is definitely something you'd want done by the right smith.

-Rear collar is a taper. Basically you're tightening into a taper joint. Talking to machinists, taper joints tend to be a pretty popular way of alignment for setup and fixtures. Heck toolhead collets an toolholders for CNC are tapers. Must be something to it huh?

-Everyone who I know that owns cans, remarks on the suppression capability of the .223 Ops Inc 12th model. Most like it a lot. Weird...

-Some guy leaves Ops Inc and goes to Surefire. Soon after Surefire starts making cans. Twice the price. Snazzy looking. X-ray reveals a similar baffle stack design. Certain Surefire cans reflex rearward just like Ops inc cans. But shit, they're totally worth the double the price because they are really cool looking and have quick detach, right?

-I have zero experience with the 30 caliber model, so I have no idea if any of this applies. Still I felt like chiming in.

-I had more barrel mirage after shooting 15 rounds rapidly through my unsuppressed 5R milspec then when I put 30 or so rounds through my 18" SPR with ops inc. (which I saw no mirage on.) 35-ish degrees out,snow on ground and 500ft altitude density. (Not sure on actual humidity.) Of course this doesn't prove anything. I just haven't had any major issues with my 12th and mirage.

-According to a buddy that was a known shit disturber here, the 30cal 12th model is even more dope if you get it with the 338 baffle stack and then have it bored out to only 30 caliber.

-I'm sure that Bachelor Jack is going tear my shit apart since he's the expert alpha male suppressor guru. Well, if he doesn't then Rolling Thunder will chime in and tell us a minute by minute account of the history of Ops Inc and reflex suppressors. Dick swinging will ensue. Maybe a cool video will come out of it.

-I like turtles.

I have several cans (Surefire, Ops, AAC, Gemtech, SilencerCo), and Ops is my favorite. I always shoot with my cans attached (rifles)...that's why I have them, so QD attachments aren't super important to me.

I don't think you can go wrong with the 12th MBS in 5.56 or .30, here are both the superb cans:

img0019b.png

Swagger, swagger....

I got nothing to say about it...except, I want that meter.

Swagger, swagger...

For what it is worth, In rifle cans I have owned a Jet .338, and a Gemtech HVT I was unimpressed with both, the Jet .338 was loud and the gemtech was too the poi shift was crazy on the gemtech, not as bad with the jet but it was there, with that being said I have not heard the new generation of Gemtech, but that hvt was so bad it is fair to say I will not own another, I purchased a OPS inc a few years ago in .223 and was so impressed with it I bought one in 7.62 (that is me/ mine on the green rifle in Doorkicker's pic)

There is more to like about the OPS Inc 7.62 MBS
than not to like,

What I Like: It is quiet, the most quiet? I don't know but it is quiet much more so than the Gemtech and Jet. Recoil Reduction is amazing, much much better than Gemtech or Jet, it is a Heavy Duty Can, No Frills No thrills noting cute, all function, Sub-Sonic Rounds are amazing through this can, Weight is not as big of an issue as I thought it would be because of the balance of the rifle, Very little POI shift, Overall length added to the weapon is not bad, about 8" which is less than most suppressors, the can is effective and recommended for use on 308-300WM.

Don't Like (none are really a big deal):
Cutting and profiling bbl to spec...adds cost, but my gunsmith is used to it now so it is not a big deal.
Brake and Collar can be a little of a bitch to get, but Ron does a great job of getting them out when I really need them.

all in all if you are using it on multiple weapons it is not as easy as a thread on, but I only use on 2 rifles now, so no big deal, it is not a fast attach, but I don't take it on and off a lot, so the technology does not help or hurt me.

In short I love the ops inc, is has met or exceeded expectations across the board, OPS Inc will be the first place I look for my next suppressor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Witch Doctor, I'm going to address your nonsense point by point. Not because I'm picking on you, but because I don't want anyone else who doesn't know better to be corrupted by your ignorance in this matter.</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the indexing collar, though not QD, gives the best concentric alignment for any single point can in my opinion.</div></div>The Ops 12th model has <span style="text-decoration: underline">two points of alignment. The collar and the barrel threads. Therefore it is not a "single point can".</span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention they are included in the price of the can.</div></div> A lot of dealers don't include any mounts anymore. Partly because they have no idea the thread pattern of the platform you intend on mounting it on. Stocking all options is cost prohibitive. The other reason is because it allows them to sell more suppressors, at a perceived lower price. Purchasers should verify what if any mounts will be included at the purchase price.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a bolt rifle, single point attachment will give you the best accuracy compared to QD</div></div>This statement is complete and utter made up bull shit. That's really the nicest way to put it. Any properly designed, properly made QD system will not adversely effect the accuracy of a host weapon. Plainly put, only the shooter rifle and ammo will play a role in accuracy.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the OPS Inc only comes 8.5" off the barrel, the other 2.5 inches reflex back over the barrel to the indexing collar.</div></div>Those 2.5" of telescoped suppressor are heating the barrel faster and more efficiently than a standard muzzle attached suppressor. This is where that BONUS!! mirage comes from. Hell Yeah super sweet mirage!!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and considering its priced the same to $400 less than the ones mentioned above, except for the Cyclone K, I think its a bargain for the quality of suppression you get.</div></div>A lot of individuals took advantage of Gemtech's Gemtax event and got those sandstorms with a free $200 transfer tax thrown in.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and don't put a .22LR through a centerfire can, you will regret it.
eek.gif
</div></div>Again, seriously doubtful as nothing horrible will happen. </div></div>

As far as the rimfire thru the centerfire can....... I've seen a handful of guys ruin 30 cal cans shooting 22 thru them.

Im liking what I am hearing except for im going to have to have work done on my 5.56 guns to accommodate the brake

I forgot to mention that 5.56 Brake and Collar work with the 7.62 can...this adds for flexibility when shooting sub calibers

22lr through the can is a non issue per Ron Allen of OPS INc, he stated he has run thousands of round through the 12th with out an issue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BachelorJack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold">Witch Doctor, I'm going to address your nonsense point by point. Not because I'm picking on you, but because I don't want anyone else who doesn't know better to be corrupted by your ignorance in this matter. <span style="color: #CC0000">Wow, arrogance is definitely your strong suit</span></span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the indexing collar, though not QD, gives the best concentric alignment for any single point can in my opinion.</div></div>The Ops 12th model has <span style="text-decoration: underline">two points of alignment. The collar and the barrel threads. Therefore it is not a "single point can". <span style="color: #FF0000">Humm, it threads to the barrel at a single point, the indexing collar is for alignment, seems to me that by definition alone makes for a single point can, at the most, and stretching it, a hybrid of a single point</span></span>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not to mention they are included in the price of the can.</div></div> A lot of dealers don't include any mounts anymore. Partly because they have no idea the thread pattern of the platform you intend on mounting it on. Stocking all options is cost prohibitive. The other reason is because it allows them to sell more suppressors, at a perceived lower price. Purchasers should verify what if any mounts will be included at the purchase price. <span style="color: #FF0000">That is appropriate for Sure Fire and AAC, HOWEVER, Ops Inc includes the brake and collar as part of the price for their can. The only OPS Inc can that does not include the collar and brake is the M4-S through ADCO, and it costs a whole wapping $250.00, but for $500.00 you get a 11.5" DD barrel, collar, FH, and can.</span><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For a bolt rifle, single point attachment will give you the best accuracy compared to QD</div></div>This statement is complete and utter made up bull shit. That's really the nicest way to put it. <span style="color: #FF0000">Here's that arrogance again </span>Any properly designed, properly made QD system will not adversely effect the accuracy of a host weapon. Plainly put, only the shooter rifle and ammo will play a role in accuracy. <span style="color: #FF0000">Again, QD is not ideal for a prcesion rifles, thats an easy debate to search on this forum alone. Amazing that after all this ranting you have done, this is the first actual debateable opinion you have exerted</span><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and the OPS Inc only comes 8.5" off the barrel, the other 2.5 inches reflex back over the barrel to the indexing collar.</div></div>Those 2.5" of telescoped suppressor are heating the barrel faster and more efficiently than a standard muzzle attached suppressor. This is where that BONUS!! mirage comes from. Hell Yeah super sweet mirage!! <span style="color: #FF0000">Again there is that arrogance thing I spoke of earlier, I get no less or more of a mirage from my Ops Inc, nor does my buddy with his Surefire FA762SS, I will call bullshit on that opinion</span><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and considering its priced the same to $400 less than the ones mentioned above, except for the Cyclone K, I think its a bargain for the quality of suppression you get.</div></div>A lot of individuals took advantage of Gemtech's Gemtax event and got those sandstorms with a free $200 transfer tax thrown in. <span style="color: #FF0000"> Thats great, are they still available, NO, how does that help the OP. Oh wait it doesn't. The prices are right off their price sheets which are common knowledge</span><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Oh and don't put a .22LR through a centerfire can, you will regret it.
eek.gif
</div></div>Again, seriously doubtful as nothing horrible will happen. <span style="color: #FF0000">Baffle strike or excessive lead, though Ops Inc says its OK, other manufactures say otherwise. Right or wrong, there is is your second actual debateable point out of this farce of a response you typed</span></div></div>

Bachelor,

The forum is a great place for information and opinions, and we all know that one should do there own research into a product they are going to buy and not rely on the internet to make their decisions for them. I stand by that statement, and maybe you should too. Especially considering your entire nonsensical rant above only had two (2) actual debateable points. If you are looking to peck a fight, have fun, because starting out a post in as arrogant a tone as you did <span style="color: #FF0000">I'm picking on you, but because I don't want anyone else who doesn't know better to be corrupted by your ignorance in this matter</span> then continuing it with colorful and rude opinions does no one any favors and just degrades the the information the OP is looking to get through opinions.

OUT

Any reason not to order direct from ops inc? trust should be drafted next week

first can so im really excited.

Side note: Anyone from Houston have a good dealer they like?

Get with Ops Inc. and see who is a recommended SOT in Houston for them. The SOT may have the can you want in stock already, and that will make the wait less than needing to order it.

I usually use Houston Armory for all my transfers. They have a lot of inventory in stock. I got my last 2 Ops Inc cans from them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get with Ops Inc. and see who is a recommended SOT in Houston for them. The SOT may have the can you want in stock already, and that will make the wait less than needing to order it. </div></div>

good idea, my original plan was to avoid the sales tax by buying out of state but in the scheme of things its really not much

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Witch Doctor</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get with Ops Inc. and see who is a recommended SOT in Houston for them. The SOT may have the can you want in stock already, and that will make the wait less than needing to order it. </div></div>

good idea, my original plan was to avoid the sales tax by buying out of state but in the scheme of things its really not much </div></div>

OPS Inc will still need to transfer the can to your chosen SOT, then they would transfer to you. That is why I recommend buying from a distributor who has it in stock near you. It will cut down on your length of waiting, remember the NFA Division is still taking 3-4 months on Form 4 transfers.

so buying from a dealer eliminates the need for me to wait on the form 3 that the manufacture has to do to transfer to a dealer correct?

Ill call them and see who is stocking locally

thanks again witch for the help.

I get my OPS INC cans from ADCO and Steve transfers them on to my local dealer here. Pretty easy and quick process. Usually takes him about 2-3 weeks to get it to my guy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I get my OPS INC cans from ADCO and Steve transfers them on to my local dealer here. Pretty easy and quick process. Usually takes him about 2-3 weeks to get it to my guy. </div></div>

Steve at ADCO is very solid, and can also contour your barrel. I recently had a AR heavy barrel contoured by him. Total time out of pocket with shipping both ways was 3 weeks.

My favorite .30 cal. suppressor is my 12th model. The group of guys I shoot with who use suppressors all say the 12th sounds the quietest of the 4 or 5 different suppressors we use, although Ron Allen will tell you that the 40 dbl. listed on the website was attained using an old standard. I have no complaints at all and highly recommend Ops Inc.

AR-10
IMG_1938Large-1.jpg

700P
IMG_3614Large.jpg

The .30 cal and the .223 cal suppressors use the same mount, just make sure the brake has the correct bore diameter and the barrel does need to be profiled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The .30 cal and the .223 cal suppressors use the same mount, just make sure the brake has the correct bore diameter and the barrel does need to be profiled. </div></div>

Just to be clear; the mounts are not the same between 5.56 and 7.62....You can screw a 7.62 can on a 5.56 brake, but you can not screw a 5.56 can on a 7.62 brake, the 7.62 brake is about .5 of an inch longer than the 5.56

Love my ops 12, very quiet, Ron was great with repair work in the past, had a baffle strike with a different can.
You could possibly special order a custom can shorter?? Anything's possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: zink14</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The .30 cal and the .223 cal suppressors use the same mount, just make sure the brake has the correct bore diameter and the barrel does need to be profiled. </div></div>

Just to be clear; the mounts are not the same between 5.56 and 7.62....You can screw a 7.62 can on a 5.56 brake, but you can not screw a 5.56 can on a 7.62 brake, the 7.62 brake is about .5 of an inch longer than the 5.56 </div></div>

My 5.56 brakes are 2.0 inches long and my .30 cal brakes are 2.15 inches long, the extra .15 hundredths of an inch does not prevent me from mounting my 5.56 suppressor to my .30 cal mounts.

You have to put shim washers behind the 5.56 mount to get the 30 cal can on it according to Ops Inc.

What is the reason for wanting a 22 cal can on a 30 cal mount? I thought they did this on purpose so you could not mix up the 2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to put shim washers behind the 5.56 mount to get the 30 cal can on it according to Ops Inc.

What is the reason for wanting a 22 cal can on a 30 cal mount? I thought they did this on purpose so you could not mix up the 2 </div></div>

I do have crush washers behind my .223 cal mounts, and my .30 cal 12th model screws on tight.

I would not want to use the .223 mount with the .30 cal suppressor, I was just pointing out that it can be done and to use caution as to not send a .30 cal projectile through a .223 cal suppressor.

well it works on mine too....did not on my old set up...odd

Bachelor Jack sure is doin some hatin on Ops cans. Wonder how many he's actually owned or used????

I don't have a 12th Model but I do have a 3rd Model .30cal......heavy? Yes it is. Hearing safe? Absolutely. As others have posted, Ops builds them for a lifetime of extreme use. I debated/researched and listened to several other cans on range visits for 2 years and bought the 3rd Model since I knew I could only afford 1 centerfire rifle suppressor in this lifetime.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to put shim washers behind the 5.56 mount to get the 30 cal can on it according to Ops Inc.

What is the reason for wanting a 22 cal can on a 30 cal mount? I thought they did this on purpose so you could not mix up the 2 </div></div>

I do have crush washers behind my .223 cal mounts, and my .30 cal 12th model screws on tight.

I would not want to use the .223 mount with the .30 cal suppressor, I was just pointing out that it can be done and to use caution as to not send a .30 cal projectile through a .223 cal suppressor. </div></div>

Crush washers or peel washers?!

You should never use a crush washer when suppressors are involved. They do not always "crush" evenly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to put shim washers behind the 5.56 mount to get the 30 cal can on it according to Ops Inc.

I would not want to use the .223 mount with the .30 cal suppressor, I was just pointing out that it can be done and to use caution as to not send a .30 cal projectile through a .223 cal suppressor. </div></div>

You should never use a crush washer when suppressors are involved. They do not always "crush" evenly. </div></div>

Ops inc 12th comes with crush washer and directions tell of how to crush. If it's how the manufacture wants, then I'm cool with it.

I'm pretty sure that the reason it works is because of what I talked about above. The suppressor indexes off the collar that is in the rear.

Mine did not come with crush washers.... they came with a selection of separate sized washers. But I sent mine in to GAP to have the collar machined into the barrel and muzzle break installed and timed properly.

Was just curious as the that background of what washer he was using and why.

Interesting. Was it a 5.56 can? Maybe since the 5.56 can is used by the military, they wanted to use commonly available crush washers. So it was designed with crush washers in mind. Could mean that can opens up more as it goes? 30 cal can might not be that way. Or maybe he decided that crush washers just weren't cutting it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michealj</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mtm87tx</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to put shim washers behind the 5.56 mount to get the 30 cal can on it according to Ops Inc.

You should never use a crush washer when suppressors are involved. They do not always "crush" evenly. </div></div>

Like Salmonaxe said, mine came with crush washers and directions. I followed the directions and even spun my AR barrels on the lathe afterward because I was a little timid of the crush washers. The brakes measured a few thousandths out, but the suppressors only run a few ten thousandths out when mounted. I have about 9000 trouble free rounds through my 5.56 suppressor.

Mine is a 12th 30 cal. still in the hands of my dealer as the ATF is taking their time but I already had GAP to the barrel work. Just to make sure Im out less time then I have to be when it does show up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Salmonaxe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Interesting. Was it a 5.56 can? Maybe since the 5.56 can is used by the military, they wanted to use commonly available crush washers. So it was designed with crush washers in mind. Could mean that can opens up more as it goes? 30 cal can might not be that way. Or maybe he decided that crush washers just weren't cutting it. </div></div>

Mine is one of the 5.56 marked suppressors and it came with the crush washer.