• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors OPS INC, Surefire - Brake system??

jpmuscle

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 12, 2008
Im trying to figure out some of the smaller details for my next .308 project jus not sure which brake set up I want to run. Im also tying to think a few steps ahead regarding moving to a NFA friendly state or getting hired which ever comes first. But for the immediate future it will be brake only.

My only experience is with the surfire system on a .308 but I never had a chance to shoot with supressor off. I want the QD feature surefire offers jus not sure if the extra cost is justified to have it.

I like the design and function of the OPS INC brake/suppressor system but havnt had the opportunity for hands on so my info is limited to their reputation and what ive read. Cost wise the OPS system is cheaper all said and done but I lose the QD capability which for now isnt a issue. If the OPS brake is superior than ill go down that road and save the cash in the end.

So opinions and first hand knowledge are welcome. I may order one of the stand alone OPS brakes R3E2C from brownells for my AR so at least I can get some trigger time on one.

Thanks,

john

Re: OPS INC, Surefire - Brake system??

Surefire's brake is at least as effective as Ops, and Surefire's can is light years ahead in every way that I can think of.

I have a lot of time on Ops cans, and while they're OK, they were very inconsistent with their zero shift. Sometimes you'd get a lot, sometimes you'd get a little. The direction of shift wasn't repeatable either. Sometime it goes up, sometimes it goes down, left, right, etc. I had 7.62 cans and 5.56 on precision systems. They suppressed well but were not particularly durable for us either. Surefire's have been hell for stout. We had them mounted on 240Bs and would run belts through them like it was going out of style with no ill effects. Those cans were MG-specific, but they're made the same was as the tight bore precision cans.

Some Ops cans will require modification of the barrel so you have a shoulder, or use a ring that slips over the barrel and is held on with a tiny set screw. These had a tendency to move when they got really hot as well. The SF brake may also need to be professionally installed depending on barrel countour and application as well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M4guru</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Ops cans, and while they're OK, they were very inconsistent with their zero shift. Sometimes you'd get a lot, sometimes you'd get a little. The direction of shift wasn't repeatable either. Sometime it goes up, sometimes it goes down, left, right, etc. </div></div>

M4g - when you say this do you mean inconsistent shift within batch samples, or do you mean inconsistent shift for a sample of one?

Good luck

Most of the OPS cans I've used were on dedicated M4-style carbines -- once on we left 'em on.

I feel the Surefire is the way to go if you're doing a lot of on-and-off.

I mean over dozens of unit fielded cans. To the degree that we had to buy another manufacturers (Surefire) cans for the SPRs.

Shift is OK, as long as you can account for it. We couldn't with Ops.

Surefire and Gemtech are the only cans I endorse in general. For a .308 QD can, Surefire is it.

I've fired at least a dozen new and used OpsInc 12th models with exact to similar grps and shift as posted below.

Surefire's baffles are identically placed as OpsInc.

A surefire can is basically a QD design on an OpsInc can.

SPR0OPS10OFF10ON.jpg

SPR20OnAND20OFF.jpg

Surefire high
OpsInc low
opslowsurehigh1.png

I think Surefire's mounting system is what makes it work better for us. The sound reduction was good enough with both.

We shot 77GR Mk262 and 75GR TAP out of standard Crane MK12 MOD1s. we experienced shift that was generally not unacceptable, but every time we took the cans off and put them back on, the shift was different under seemingly identical installation.

How big of an issue is this? For most, maybe not too much. Honestly, I wouldn't care on a carbine. It was a big enough problem that they bought new cans for the SPRs though.

It's also nice that there is no thread protector to lose with Surefire. I don't know how much of a concern this is for most.

I was under the impression they made the transition do to SOCOM making QD mandatory for solicitations in 2004.

Thanks for the info guys. Ill opt for the Surefire when the time comes.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fredo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was under the impression they made the transition do to SOCOM making QD mandatory for solicitations in 2004.
</div></div>

These were unit purchase. The issue cans are still Ops Inc. New weapon systems will use QD cans, but that does not effect systems that were spec'd prior to that change.