• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Opti-Logic Recon laser range finder review

LanceS4803

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2011
Middle TN
I recently purchased the Opti-Logic brand, Recon model, Laser Range Finder. This is manufacture here in the USA, specifically in TN. The Recon model was used as the basis for a model sold to the Israeli Defense Forces. It has a 1,000m range with 6x magnification. Opti-Logi LRFs are not normally found in retail stores, so I was taking a chance to order one on-line direct from Opti-Logic for $270 without ever actually handling one in person. Opti-Logic does have a 30 day money back guarantee. Receipt was delayed for over two weeks due to backlog, although the website still showed the Recon was in stock.

Physically, the Recon was exactly what I was looking for in a LRF for use in harsh hunting conditions and serve also for use in long range shooting. It has a rubber coating, is weather resistant and comes with both front and rear tethered lens caps (great idea!).

Technically, the Recon is well suited for what I needed. The screen is uncluttered, with just the option of yards or meters and a choice of line of sight or angled range calculation. I don’t need ballistic calculation, hold over, etc. The screen readout is easy to read but only comes in black, which in predawn use required you to use the light colored sky to be able to read. I tried the Recon on numerous targets, both hard and soft. Response is instantaneous and accurate, as compared to other LRFs. I had no problem ranging cattle at 600yds or trees and rocks at 1,000yds. I was also able to range leaves and shrubs at these distances, which my other LRFs usually don’t do very well.

Optically, is where a problem with the Recon became apparent. After focusing the eyepiece, the image was still not crisp and clear. The center of the viewfinder was clear, but became distorted farther towards the edge. I compared the new Recon to an inexpensive 6 year old LRF, and the quality of the Recon glass was substandard. With everything else about the Recon working out so well, I was sure this was just an isolated problem with the particular Recon I received, so I tried to exchange the Recon.

Contact with Opti-Logic Customer Service was extremely frustrating. My initial email generated a quick response that they would take care of the problem, but then no reply for almost two weeks. Another email to Opti-Logic got me a reply to send my defective Recon back (they provided RMA label), and that they would send me a new one. Almost two weeks later, nothing. No correspondence, repaired Recon or replacement Recon. In frustration, I decided to request a refund. I was concerned that if the customer service was this bad during the sale, what would it be like down the road?

All in all, a disappointing experience. If Opti-Logic can tweak their quality control, they would have a great LRF at a very competitive price. An overhaul of Customer Service would give a buyer confidence that Opti-Logic stands by their product.

559389_10150630742107864_111917074_n.jpg

Re: Opti-Logic Recon laser range finder review

It's a little scary when the gun pictured on the box of your rangefinder is a shotgun. Kinda like the Old Folks Home Swimsuit calendar.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheKing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a little scary when the gun pictured on the box of your rangefinder is a shotgun. Kinda like the Old Folks Home Swimsuit calendar. </div></div>

LOL@ the old folks swimsuit calendar!

I know some of the guys at opti-logic personally, and will be glad to convey this info to them regarding the customer service. I also own one of the recon units and my optics are good and ranging is adequate for what I use it for. All in all I think its a good unit for the price point.

Dave

I never even noticed the shotgun on the box! Must be long range turkey.
I think I just got a bad LRF.
They had many opportunities to correct the problem, but couldn't seem to get their act together. The thing is, this is a fellow TN company that I wanted to support with my business.