• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic centering question

mowrey1999

Private
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2006
Bradley,illinois
I dont know if this has been asked but it probably has been but Why dont the optic Manufacturers place small graduation marks around the top of the scope tube or radis showing center and maybe 2 marks left of center and right of center and the scope ring manufacturer place a small white line showing center on the scope ring so all you would have to do is place scope in the mount and line up the center mark on the scope and mark on the ring and you would be ready to tighten and go , Then if the scope happened to be off a small amount from the factory you could just move it 1 graduation mark whatever direction it was off tighten and go.It just seems to me that a scope coming from the factory could easily have a centerline painted or scribed or something while the tube is being painted and before being assembled and the scope ring manufacturers could easily mark center to align it so any scope could be just set on the marks and tightened down for a almost perfect center without any one eyeballing or guessing center, Or people taking it to someone to be mounted then going to the range and test fireing and then seeing if your on plane,As long as there is a center line on the scope tube you could even have the graduation marks on the rings and do it that way , Can any one tell me if this would work or would it be to hard to do in the manufacturing process,

Re: Optic centering question

I have thought about this before as well, but I don't see it as a needed feature. It's a simple thing to align the scope to the rifle.

I would rather they spend the time ensuring that the reticle is aligned with the adjustments.... and let me worry about mounting.
It's not like we need to remove and replace the scope from the rings on a regular basis.

Re: Optic centering question

Well I agree That it is not that your taking the scope on and off once it is set but sometimes you do or you might change out the optic , and the other thing is for any one who buys a scope and mount it just seems like it would be so easy to just put the mount on and align the marks and boresite or go shoot , I have seen a lot of people who have had there scope canted and it seems like a simple solution to at least getting the scope properly centered on the rifle and if it isnt you have a reference point, I guess this wouldnt help the experienced shooters as much as the guys starting out possibly but just wanted some thoughts on it , thx.