• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic choice for Knights SR-25 EC?

Nostradumbass

Falconer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Sep 7, 2009
    NE Texas
    Boys,

I’m looking to add FFP glass to my Knights SR-25 Enhanced Carbine. This model has the non chrome lined 16” match grade barrel. It shoots MOA all day long with Federal Match 175’s.

My preferred option is a S&B 3-12 PMII, but I believe it’s been discontinued??

The Schmidt 5-20 Ultra Short looks like a fine choice, but GD it’s a lot of $$$! Lol

I’d love to know your thoughts on this.

ps- I was using a Leupold MK6 3-18X44, but gave it up for the dismal eye box issues it had…☹️

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Itsadryheat
    US or gtfo

20220204_140803.jpg

...maybe for you. Note the *I* in my post. Feel free to contribute to the post and let us know what the better choices are.
    well as @Huskydriver mentioned the Schmidt already, there's kahles, zco, theta, But the Ultra Short schmidt would be my 1st pick.
    I've never liked the fact that the whole ocular housing rotates on the NF, it can cause interference issues. If ZCO made a MSR2 reticle that would be the cats meow and hard choice between it and the Schmidt.

Reactions: Huskydriver
    well as @Huskydriver mentioned the Schmidt already, there's kahles, zco, theta, But the Ultra Short schmidt would be my 1st pick.
    I've never liked the fact that the whole ocular housing rotates on the NF, it can cause interference issues. If ZCO made a MSR2 reticle that would be the cats meow and hard choice between it and the Schmidt.
    All good choices. I've owned all of the above except for TT and S&B. S&Bs aren't lefty friendly. I'd like to get my hands on one with the illum removed. I just prefer my ATACRs over the others I have had. What interference have you had or heard about with the NF rotating ocular?

5-20US or ZCO420. If optic length is not a concern a TT315p. My preference is an offset RDS to go with it. The badger C1 mount also works with the 520us so that opens up some mounting options.

Flush with cash? TT 3-15 or ZCO 4-20

Bang for buck? Burris xtr iii 3-18
    I would agree with this and I would add the Ultra Short Schmidt 5-20 to the top list (@MNTC had this setup on his SR25), it is a stellar scope that I think edges out the 3-20 US slightly especially in upper magnification range. If you don't mind the lower FOV and can find one for under $2300 in the classifieds the Kahles K318i is a strong contender.

I love the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50, as a sub $2k scope it is impressive, but with prices around $1200 for the new illuminated version I think it will be the scope to beat in the $1k - $2k class. The non-illuminated reticle I found to be too thin for use on lower magnifications making it a difficult choice for an AR platform.

Reactions: JDB55
    I would agree with this and I would add the Ultra Short Schmidt 5-20 to the top list (@MNTC had this setup on his SR25), it is a stellar scope that I think edges out the 3-20 US slightly especially in upper magnification range. If you don't mind the lower FOV and can find one for under $2300 in the classifieds the Kahles K318i is a strong contender.

I love the Burris XTR III 3.3-18x50, as a sub $2k scope it is impressive, but with prices around $1200 for the new illuminated version I think it will be the scope to beat in the $1k - $2k class. The non-illuminated reticle I found to be too thin for use on lower magnifications making it a difficult choice for an AR platform.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you think the Burris XTRIII illuminated will take over the Vortex Razor 4.5-22x50 ffp for best crossover scope? I have the razor but not against switching those two out if the Burris offers better performance.

Not trying to hijack the thread, but do you think the Burris XTRIII illuminated will take over the Vortex Razor 4.5-22x50 ffp for best crossover scope? I have the razor but not against switching those two out if the Burris offers better performance.
    "Best" crossover is very subjective, so much depends on what you are looking for. If weight is the primary goal then I think the LHT 4.5-22 will reign for quite some time, but if FOV is your primary goal then the XTR III is pretty fantastic in this area. I have not had them side by side, but glass wise I think the two are fairly close - XTR III may have a bit more CA but both offer very clean images with nice pop. My biggest complaint with the XTR III was the reticle, the SCR2 was too thin to be usable at low magnifications (on the 3.3-18) and could have benefited from illumination from the get go, now that illumination is finally here with the XTR IIIi that will hopefully change that. I currently own the 5.5-30x56 because it is a great scope and the SCR2 reticle in this scope is ideal for the rimfire work I bought it for, my one complaint with the XTR III is the magnification ring resistance is very heavy and the knurling they used is very rough (someone called them dragon scales :D) and digs into your fingers, I've pondered sending my scope back to Burris to see if they can loosen up the resistance, otherwise this scope definitely needs a throw lever. It's possible this is a QC thing and other scopes do not have this issue.

Last edited:
    Reactions: JDB55
    I have a March 4.5-28 WA with an offset Shield SIS on my SR-25. For me, the March functions more like a 5-20. I rarely if ever go above 20, but it's nice to have the the extra mag for my older eyes. I really like the March scope for the SR-25. Its smaller footprint and lighter weight make it nicely suited for gas guns. Check out Glassaholic's excellent review at https://www.snipershide.com/shootin...-comparison-to-tangent-theta-5-25x56.7080602/.

Reactions: Glassaholic
    OP, what did you go with? I’m in a similar inner-debate with myself on what I want to go with.

Another vote for the 4-16x42 NF ATACR, with the Mil-XT reticle. I bought both of mine as showroom demos, so I was happy with the performance I got for the price I paid.

Can't speak to the US, but perhaps one day.