• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic choice

ERL

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2021
South Carolina
Looking for opinions on power options for 22 PRS and outlaw rim fire type matches. I shoot another sport for an optics company and they make a 3-17 and a 5-25 … both only parallax down to 50 so I may give up some accuracy(not sure as I’ve never shot anything super small that close) on super close 20-30 yard type targets. But is it more important to have that 25x if needed or is the lower end of 3x more of an advantage ? Obviously fundamentals will trump all but all things being equal which would you run and why ? How often (in general) do you guys see targets closer then 50 yards ??

Thanks

Reactions: Rockrods
Chris Simmons (the guy that won PRS22 Nationals last weekend) said he had his scope set at 21-22 power the whole match. Having parallax that goes down to 25 yards would be better than 50, even if there's only one stage that has targets that close...but some folks set it somewhere in the middle of the distances for a stage and leave it there for the stage.

Personally, I went with an Athlon Cronus BTR Gen 2 4.5-29X56 APRS6. It will parallax down to 25.

So you shoot for USO. LOL Those specs are easy to see. Yes being able to get down to 25 yards is very important in .22LR matches. More some then others but you want a scope that will go down lower. Get a TS-20 or TS 25 with a JVCR.

Reactions: beetroot
So you shoot for USO. LOL Those specs are easy to see. Yes being able to get down to 25 yards is very important in .22LR matches. More some then others but you want a scope that will go down lower. Get a TS-20 or TS 25 with a JVCR.
😂 yes sir …
You FD ???

(Retired FD here)

😂 yes sir …
You FD ???

(Retired FD here)

Retired FD from CT myself but still volunteering here in NC. At least for a few more years. LOL

Reactions: ERL
Looking for opinions on power options for 22 PRS and outlaw rim fire type matches. I shoot another sport for an optics company and they make a 3-17 and a 5-25 … both only parallax down to 50 so I may give up some accuracy(not sure as I’ve never shot anything super small that close) on super close 20-30 yard type targets. But is it more important to have that 25x if needed or is the lower end of 3x more of an advantage ? Obviously fundamentals will trump all but all things being equal which would you run and why ? How often (in general) do you guys see targets closer then 50 yards ??

Thanks
I have 2 of the SH4 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes myself. Being 100% honest, for the money, they can't be beat. And no joke, everyone I have let shoot through mine, has immediately went home and ordered one for themselves.

Use the code #GoBrandon and get $100 off + Free shipping until 12/31. 👍🏼

Definitely have something to focus down to 25 yards. The outlaw series matches I shot this year had 2 targets per match at 25 yards. The northern series didn’t haven’t anything closer then 90ish range. I like 5-25 power for most my shooting. I shoot most my matches though around 10-15 power range.

I’ve been running the element nexus 5-20 and have been super happy. Trying there titan now and so far very please. This up coming season will be split between the titan and a new optic. Apex rival 4-32x56

Very happy with my S&B US 3-20 GRID. I sometimes regret not getting the 5-25 so I can parallax down to 10, but 25 is doable and the extra FOV is really nice.

I also prefer optics that parallax at 25y or less... but keep in mind, the published min parallax value is at full zoom.

Targets at 25y likely won't need full zoom.

Reactions: SirDrinksAlot
One of the biggest factors is budget.
No point recommending a NF atacr 7-35 if you only have $500 and no point recommending an athlon midas tac if you have zco money.

And of course everyone's eyes are different,
what suits me might look terrible to you and vice versa.

Also consider the Max required distance and how much internal adjustment the scopes you like have.
32mils, 40-50moa base and you're dialing 500yds while maintaining a 50yd zero and ability to parralax down to 15yds +/-
Should be plenty in all but the most extreme cases.

Out to 200yds in matches i'm usually at 14-18x on my athlon argos 8-34/b14r combo on paper I'm always at 34x.

I have however moved to a vortex strike eagle for my vudoo and will very likely upgrade to a higher end athlon soon after.

Reactions: SirDrinksAlot