• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic Considerations/Choices for 16” AR - 223

Josh S

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2014
Good ole Central Ohio
Im looking for some education, guidance or just straight up tell me the answer to the question - what optic should I pick up for a 16” AR in 223?

I’ve been in the AR game for a minute - I have several ARs with red dots - but nothing in the way of magnified optics and I’d like to start building out a rifle capable of 300-600 yards - primarily steel, target, and just a solid rifle/optic system that can function at distance.

Typical conditions will be daytime, some low light, and if there’s a possibility for nighttime capability, that would be cool too. I’d prefer a FFP, mil based reticle.

If you had $1,500 to $2,000 to drop on an optic - what or where would you recommend?

Steiner T6Xi?
NX8?
Leupold?

Is an LVPO or something in the 1-6 or 1-8 range appropriate for a “precision-ish AR” or should I look at something else?

Am I smart in looking at a 1-whatever - or is there sense in like a 2.5-10 for a 16” AR?

I know that an optic is no magic talisman, but I also know that it’s a key part of the equation. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Reactions: Nomad0001
Im looking for some education, guidance or just straight up tell me the answer to the question - what optic should I pick up for a 16” AR in 223?

I’ve been in the AR game for a minute - I have several ARs with red dots - but nothing in the way of magnified optics and I’d like to start building out a rifle capable of 300-600 yards - primarily steel, target, and just a solid rifle/optic system that can function at distance.

Typical conditions will be daytime, some low light, and if there’s a possibility for nighttime capability, that would be cool too. I’d prefer a FFP, mil based reticle.

If you had $1,500 to $2,000 to drop on an optic - what or where would you recommend?

Steiner T6Xi?
NX8?
Leupold?

Is an LVPO or something in the 1-6 or 1-8 range appropriate for a “precision-ish AR” or should I look at something else?

Am I smart in looking at a 1-whatever - or is there sense in like a 2.5-10 for a 16” AR?

I know that an optic is no magic talisman, but I also know that it’s a key part of the equation. Any guidance would be appreciated.

This guy is asking for something similar:

Reactions: simonp
You got money to spend get a “demo” ATACR 4-16 from EO I saw them in there for a bit over 2k if you want something cheap and don’t plant on abusing your gun get the Vortex SE 3-18. If you’re trying to go for precision shots I would definitely get more magnification than 10x. The leupold MK5 3-18 is solid but the lack of reticles might be a turn off.

Reactions: simonp
I have been pleased with the SAI 1-6.....
I use it in run and guns with targets out to 500 meters in field conditions.
Lightweight, great glass, good reticle.
Just a thought!

Reactions: JulianD
Vortex 1-6 Razor. Is all you need for 16” AR for mid range capabilities
Bushnell Elite 1-6.5 is another great choice

I'd get more than LPVO mag if you really do want to shoot it out beyond 400 or so. It's not that you can't shoot 600 with 8x mag because I do and so do many many others, but you can't see where you hit or anything like that and the lpvo is more about speed and being able to move than precision. I have a razor 1-10 on a 16" barreled AR and i like it. On my precision AR I have a LHT (22x) and I like it a lot for that purpose and it's weight is what's attractive about it. Of course I also have a 18" barrel on it. As has been said, a 3-18 or similar that isn't too heavy is a really good option for what you want imo.

Reactions: stilesg57
16” Criterion hybrid
77 SMK

good combo.

my limited experience with 1-8’s wasnt good. the eye box is too tight at 8x. it might work from the bench but not in the field with less than perfect positioning.

i like my leupy’s…vx5hd 2-10x on and 18” AR. not FFP but the magnification range is good for my area. i had that scope on a 16” for awhile and it didnt feel too big.

the vx6hd 2-12 is probably better as is has a zero stop windage too. i have one of those on a bolt gun.

the lack of paralax adjustment on both hasnt been a problem out to 600yards on 12” targets.

the reason i pick those was the BDC turrets. i’m not much of a ranging reticle guy.

Last edited:
Josh, as I think you recognize, one thing you're going to have to decide is how much magnification you want/need. This will depend largely on what type of shooting you do and at what distance. Having a scope with 1x on the low end is really nice if you are shooting offhand, want to be able to acquire targets quickly and will be doing some shooting at 75 yards and in. And personally, I find that once you get above 4x doing this type of shooting becomes pretty challenging and you start fighting the scope. On the other hand, if nearly all of your shooting will be at targets from 100-600 yards and from the bench or from supported positions, 1x is pretty useless.

Similarly, having an upper end of 18x or more is nice if you want to shoot small groups on paper at 200+ yards or very small targets at 4-600 yards. It can also help you see your misses if you don't have a spotter. But it's not really necessary to get hits on IPSIC size steel targets out to 600.

Another consideration is how much size and weight can you tolerate? If that's not a consideration, you'll have a lot more choices. If you want something that's fairly short and reasonably light finding a scope with a lot of magnification and/or a 1-8x or 1-10x zoom range is going to be challenging.

The good news is that with your budget you will have a lot of choices and be able to get a solid scope.

I have a 5.56 AR that I set up with a Trijicon Credo 2-10x 36mm, FFP, IR. A bit below the budget you've stated, but the glass is very nice, eye box is a little tight, but overall, I'm happy with the scope- primarily using it at the max end of magnification and getting very good results.

Reactions: jumrobe and tucaz
I think you need to ask yourself how much you care about low magnification. Do you want 1x? 2-2.5x? Is 3-4x too much for you? You can do a compact 3-15 or 3/18 with an offset or pigggybacked red dot.

I'm personally extremely interested in the new upcoming March 1.5-15x42 (d15v42fdimlx). It's around $2900 iirc but it seems to be a true best of both worlds optic.

D15V42FIMLX_01.png

D15V42FIMLX_06-2.png

DR-TR2B.png

I have a 5.56 AR that I set up with a Trijicon Credo 2-10x 36mm, FFP, IR. A bit below the budget you've stated, but the glass is very nice, eye box is a little tight, but overall, I'm happy with the scope- primarily using it at the max end of magnification and getting very good results.
I’m going to second this recommendation. The Credo 2-10 is fantastic for the application you want. I use it on my 18” upper I shoot in the IWI Gas Gun matches and don’t have any issues making hits out to 600.

I’m going to second this recommendation. The Credo 2-10 is fantastic for the application you want. I use it on my 18” upper I shoot in the IWI Gas Gun matches and don’t have any issues making hits out to 600.
good to see trijicon making custom elevation turrets. didnt know they where until this thread when i went to check out that scope.

I’ve been through the wringer on mine (tried around 6 different optics over the years) and I’ve finally settled on a older NF 2.5-10 NSX.

2.5 is low enough to shoot comfortably offhand, and the reticle is a lot finer than the 1-by LPVOs I had over the years. It’s 2fp, but you won’t be using the reticle at close range and you’ll be at 10x for long range anyways.

Eye box is a lot less touchy too. 10x is plenty of zoom for spotting hits (and near misses) on steel out to the rifles effective range. Not an ideal 3-gun rig, but great enjoyment at a steel range with small steel out to 600.

Edit: one thing I forgot to mention - the 10x and adjustable parallax really helps me spot wind signs out at distance (and with a 16” 223 pushing 75/77 gr, you’ll need to read the wind really well past 400). My fixed parallax LPVOs never gave me a great read on what was happening at the target.

Another consideration is how much size and weight can you tolerate? If that's not a consideration, you'll have a lot more choices. If you want something that's fairly short and reasonably light finding a scope with a lot of magnification and/or a 1-8x or 1-10x zoom range is going to be challenging.

The good news is that with your budget you will have a lot of choices and be able to get a solid scope.
Hound, I have the heart of a lion and the strength of ten men. I fear no scope.

Man, it’s funny how I started out thinking that I was 90% set on an LPVO but here comes all y’all making a ton of sense and pointing me somewhere I wasn’t even seriously considering.

Appreciate the hell out of everyone’s feedback.

Great points to consider.
Same thing happend to me. Looked at every lvpo optic and settled for a acog 3.5x with a piggyback rmr. Couldn’t be happier.

Bought a acog without the piggyback for another gun.

Hound, I have the heart of a lion and the strength of ten men. I fear no scope.
Glad to hear it. I'm 65, have tachycardia that results in heart racing at 120 BPM, and a bad back. So heart of a hummingbird and the strength of 1/2 man.:)

Seriously, if I'm going to be shooting offhand it's nice to have a lighter scope. Off a bench or a barricade don't really care if my scope weighs like an anvil.

Reactions: Josh S
Have a Sig 1-10X on a 18" AR. Works great out to 350 yards so far.

Here is a good deal ($1,311.75 / lightly used) on the Eotech Vudu 1-10. Eotech does a really nice job at having a reticle within a reticle. What I mean by that is when this is on 1x, you see something similar to the famous Eotech circle / dot. But, when you zoom in the precision reticle becomes visible.

Reactions: Nomad0001