• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic decision for Momma's sexy new .22LR Proof Research Latitude

AmmoFort

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2023
Montana
I bought this as a replacement for the .22's I keep stealing from my wife for our kids. It's happened twice now. No more, this one is Momma's. This rifle isn't going to be for any special use case other than for my wife to have something super accurate and fun to shoot. Will predominantly be shooting at home on the 200 yard range that has yet to get off the drawing board. Rifle just showed up at the LGS a couple days ago, hopefully have time to go get it next week.
647ef0e86bdf57fd9727a5ef0878b8f4197b1d496b886-3145774507.jpeg

I have thought about many different scopes and I wouldn't say I have analysis paralysis right now as I'm leaning really strongly towards a

Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56mm .25 MOA FFP ZF-MOAi #17​

Interested in ^^^ that because I think she'll be okay with the reticle. Also one of those deals where if she doesn't like it I know I'll be fine throwing it on something else.

Mainly looking for other options in the same price range, maybe I've overlooked something. Ring suggestions also appreciated I was thinking some Zeiss rings would be fine, but I'm all ears here.

This is always my first stop when trying to do optic research. Thought I had an account from years ago, but the system said no.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: FuhQ
The Zeiss S3 is an excellent choice. I have a S3 6-36 and a 4-25 on my Vudoos. The reticle is great for holds and precision. Glass is great too. Nothing really in the price range I would take over it. The 6-36 is a good choice for rimfire. I have both mine in MPA mounts.

Here's the 4-25x and below that is the 6-36 on top and 4-25 on bottom to give an idea of size.

i-GcHWQqJ-X26.jpg

IMG_3310.jpg

Found one right here on the HIDE, done! NIB Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56

Got the sunshade and Zeiss flip covers in my cart at Midway. Gimme some more mount suggestions links appreciated.

I have this M.I. mount that I never used looks like they don't make it anymore. It was for a 50bmg I ended up going a completely different route for the optic. Totally wrong I know lol.

Technical Specifications:
Works with scopes with up to a 56mm objective
Overall length: 6.75 inches
Width of rings: .850 inches
Distance between rings: 2.800 inches
Offset from base to first ring: 1.400 inches
Distance from the top of the rail to the
Centerline of the ring: 1.550 inches
Weight: 10.2 ounces
Screenshot 2023-10-08 at 5.43.51 PM.jpeg

Reactions: camocorvette

Found one right here on the HIDE, done! NIB Zeiss LRP S3 6-36x56

Got the sunshade and Zeiss flip covers in my cart at Midway. Gimme some more mount suggestions links appreciated.

I have this M.I. mount that I never used looks like they don't make it anymore. It was for a 50bmg I ended up going a completely different route for the optic. Totally wrong I know lol.

Technical Specifications:
Works with scopes with up to a 56mm objective
Overall length: 6.75 inches
Width of rings: .850 inches
Distance between rings: 2.800 inches
Offset from base to first ring: 1.400 inches
Distance from the top of the rail to the
Centerline of the ring: 1.550 inches
Weight: 10.2 ounces
View attachment 8244681
I use ARC M-Brace 34mm rings. They're rock-solid and ridiculously easy to level and keep the scope level while torquing down. I don't think I'll ever go back to traditional rings as long as they keep making the M-Brace rings.

ARC also makes an M-Brace 1-piece mount, if that's what you're after. Midway sells the rings and mounts.

Reactions: AmmoFort
I only use ARC rings anymore, unless I'm going cheap then it's Seekins.
Same. I was gung-ho Seekins for years, until I discovered the M-Brace rings... I haven't bought a set of Seekins since. I'll reuse some older ones that I already have, if I'm changing the scope on a rifle, and they have the same tube diameter. But other than that, if I'm buying new and starting from scratch...It's ARC.

Looking at the ARC M-Brace right now, nice. This rifle has a 20 MOA base rail on it. I should be able to get away with the 20 MOA M-brace rings with this scope (110 MOA/32 MRAD) and still get the zero down to 25 yards easy and not be bottomed out right? Seems like a dumb question, but figured I'd ask. I don't think she'll be wanting to leave the property with this setup and go shoot at longer ranges, but I might get the urge one day. But if the 20 MOA rings are cutting it close, I'll just get the rings with zero added can't. Standard height correct?

Last edited:
Looking at the ARC M-Brace right now, nice. This rifle has a 20 MOA base rail on it. I should be able to get away with the 20 MOA M-brace rings with this scope (110 MOA/32 MRAD) and still get the zero down to 25 yards easy and not be bottomed out right? Seems like a dumb question, but figured I'd ask. I don't think she'll be wanting to leave the property with this setup and go shoot at longer ranges, but I might get the urge one day. But if the 20 MOA rings are cutting it close, I'll just get the rings with zero added can't. Standard height correct?
Yes you will be fine with the S3 and 40 moa total. That’s how I had mine set up.

One thing to watch with the ARC is that the top of the rings/mount are tall due to the single screw. There was a person complaint about not being able to see the lower portion of his elevation dial from behind the scope with them. Look into this before you buy to make sure they will work for you.

Yes you will be fine with the S3 and 40 moa total. That’s how I had mine set up.

One thing to watch with the ARC is that the top of the rings/mount are tall due to the single screw. There was a person complaint about not being able to see the lower portion of his elevation dial from behind the scope with them. Look into this before you buy to make sure they will work for you.
Picking my head up off the stock 1/2" to 1" to see when twisting the turrets never caused me any problems... But I guess some folks want to find anything they can to bitch about or justify their preferred brand. Thus is life, right?

Reactions: NewsShooter
Picking my head up off the stock 1/2" to 1" to see when twisting the turrets never caused me any problems... But I guess some folks want to find anything they can to bitch about or justify their preferred brand. Thus is life, right?

Yup.

Just like Arken scopes are awesome until you look through anything that's more expensive. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: E. Bryant
Yup.

Just like Arken scopes are awesome until you look through anything that's more expensive. 🤣
I've owned high-end scopes for a very long time, and been around them, used them, and sold them for even longer than that. I knew what I was looking at. Assuming I didn't is only your miscalculation. But continue thinking I don't know WTF I'm talking about. I'll only keep disappointing you when I keep getting proven right...Over and over again. 👍🏼

But to go back to your response, the same can be said about ANY brand of scope... If you've only ever looked through a 1980's Tasco, if someone showed you an Arken, you'd think it was a Hensoldt. I see so many people these days blindly assume that because of the price tag of something, it's automatically good, or a piece of shit. There seems to be very few open-minded people willing to give things a chance...And even less are wiling to put their money where their mouth is, but will continue to talk shit about those who do. Those people are referred to as Fudds.

I've owned high-end scopes for a very long time, and been around them, used them, and sold them for even longer than that. I knew what I was looking at. Assuming I didn't is only your miscalculation. But continue thinking I don't know WTF I'm talking about. I'll only keep disappointing you when I keep getting proven right...Over and over again. 👍🏼

But to go back to your response, the same can be said about ANY brand of scope... If you've only ever looked through a 1980's Tasco, if someone showed you an Arken, you'd think it was a Hensoldt. I see so many people these days blindly assume that because of the price tag of something, it's automatically good, or a piece of shit. There seems to be very few open-minded people willing to give things a chance...And even less are wiling to put their money where their mouth is, but will continue to talk shit about those who do. Those people are referred to as Fudds.

I'm just giving you shit for pumping up Arken so long.

I think I might go Spuhr. I've always wanted them on my guns, but was too cheap. And while the M-Brace looks sturdy, a set of Spuhr rings is gonna look really really good on there. Went and fondled the rifle
tenor.gif

,but of course I got my usual delay. By the time he called me back I was busy doing other stuff. Probably go get it Thursday.

I think I might go Spuhr. I've always wanted them on my guns, but was too cheap. And while the M-Brace looks sturdy, a set of Spuhr rings is gonna look really really good on there. Went and fondled the rifle
tenor.gif

,but of course I got my usual delay. By the time he called me back I was busy doing other stuff. Probably go get it Thursday.
You might want to checkout the issues with Spuhr mounts cracking. Been seeing more posts about it lately. Just something to research. The M-Brace rings ARE sturdy. Some of the most robust rings I've ever used.

I'm just giving you shit for pumping up Arken so long.
I personally don't really care for Arken due to the low quality glass they use including their EP5 and new SH4J and EPL4s but they're great values price wise (like Walmart brand) for their current 25% off sale and EP5 for $397.49 especially since they even pay your return shipping whenever theyfail just like how Vortex does.

I wouldn't recommend paying regular prices for any of them though. The EP5 only when they're on sale for $397.49 is the only one worth buying which are not that bad when you actually get one of their good ones.

You might want to checkout the issues with Spuhr mounts cracking. Been seeing more posts about it lately. Just something to research. The M-Brace rings ARE sturdy. Some of the most robust rings I've ever used.
I've already seen a few complaints on them. I don't think I can help myself at this point though, we'll see. The Spuhrs just look so good! Svelte vs. strong.

Everyone has to go down the Spuhr road and get their own experience. I had one years ago.

They have some cool features.

The fact that I can pay half as much for something stronger is dumb.

I ended up going with a CONDITION ONE MAX 34 MM 1.54" TALL, BLACK, 20 MOA SKU 154-342KB. She didn't mind the height of the rings I mocked the scope up in so I went with it. This Zeiss S3 is the nicest scope I've ever bought. Compared it to a Trijicon Tenmile 6-30x56 that I have and the Zeiss was better, but did not blow the Trijicon away by any means. First observations and all. Just figured I'd update on the ring choice. Probably go post in the rimfire section on this setup from here on out.
154-340kb_1_3.png

Last edited: