• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for 16" AR 10

Choid

Anti Bodyfat Activist
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Kind of confused as to which way to go on this. Not sure if I want a lpvo, or something in the mid range. Most shooting is within 500 on this, but it also isn't like I do CQB or anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. There really isn't a price range per se, but I would like to keep the weight on the low to moderate side. Thanks in advance.

I run a Leupold Mk 6 1-6x with the 762 CMR-W reticle on my DD5V1 and have been extremely happy. It is lightweight, glass is nice and clear, the bdc reticle drops work great for 168 and 175 grain, and the 1x dot is acceptably daylight bright. I have hit out to 800 with no struggles from the glass.

I think it really comes down to how much weight you are willing to put on the rifle. Since you arent planning on CQB stuff, I'd pass on the LPVO and go to something like a NF 2.5-10, if you are willing to put more weight on the rifle I would look at the 3.6-18 mark 5. For a rifle that won't be used for CQB I don't know why you would limit yourself to a LPVO.

Thanks guys. I had a Razor III that wasn't being used to its full potential, so I went with that. I do like 1x on the low end, because I occasionally use this rifle to hunt in deep timber, and I'd prefer as wide and bright as possible in that circumstance. Not often, but enough.

Thanks guys. I had a Razor III that wasn't being used to its full potential, so I went with that. I do like 1x on the low end, because I occasionally use this rifle to hunt in deep timber, and I'd prefer as wide and bright as possible in that circumstance. Not often, but enough.

Have a hard look at the Badger C1 mount too. It’s a perfect setup with a LPVO like the VO 1-10. It’ll compliment all the clipons too.

Have a hard look at the Badger C1 mount too. It’s a perfect setup with a LPVO like the VO 1-10. It’ll compliment all the clipons too.
I have a lot of stuff in those, but this is an MWS, so I just used a spuhr I had around because no issues with a broken rail. I do love the C1s, but they are getting a bitch to find.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Kind of confused as to which way to go on this. Not sure if I want a lpvo, or something in the mid range. Most shooting is within 500 on this, but it also isn't like I do CQB or anything. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. There really isn't a price range per se, but I would like to keep the weight on the low to moderate side. Thanks in advance.
For shooting 2+MOA targets in the 300-500 yards,range I think LPVO's make alot of sense.

If you are shooting for groups, i think something in the 3-18 mag range works really well

It really depends on what works for you,

My 16” 308 AR wears an Accupower 1-8 with an offset RDS and have no issues hitting at 500...this set up covers 0-600ish with ease.

I’ve got a 12.5” 308 bolt gun wearing a NF 2.5-10x42...this I use to hunt the woods/small fields.

I’ve the 308 AR used to have a Mark 5 3.6-18 which was a great fit for the gun but image appeared to gray out (flat image) in low light hunting scenarios.

All comes down to your application and associated needs: weight, lowlight, capped/locking turrets etc.

My 16” 308 AR wears an Accupower 1-8 with an offset RDS and have no issues hitting at 500...this set up covers 0-600ish with ease.

I’ve got a 12.5” 308 bolt gun wearing a NF 2.5-10x42...this I use to hunt the woods/small fields.

I’ve the 308 AR used to have a Mark 5 3.6-18 which was a great fit for the gun but image appeared to gray out (flat image) in low light hunting scenarios.

All comes down to your application and associated needs: weight, lowlight, capped/locking turrets etc.

Which setup do you prefer, the LPVO with red dot or the NF with red dot? Does the LPVO really offer something the NF with red dot doesn't? I think the NF is lighter, and probably has better optical and mechanical performance. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering why LPVO with red dots seem to be much more popular than mid range scopes with red dots... Especially when LPVOs are getting heavier than mid range scopes.

Which setup do you prefer, the LPVO with red dot or the NF with red dot? Does the LPVO really offer something the NF with red dot doesn't? I think the NF is lighter, and probably has better optical and mechanical performance. Not trying to be a smart ass, just wondering why LPVO with red dots seem to be much more popular than mid range scopes with red dots... Especially when LPVOs are getting heavier than mid range scopes.
I like them both and don't have a preference of one over the other as they each fill a different role as described above. You are correct in the NF is lighter as compared to the Accupower, there are however much lighter LPVO options with comparable mechanical performance to the NF.

Simply comes down to what I'm doing or think I'll need to do with the gun determines which one I grab.

Reactions: Thorbeast