• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for 22 trainer/NRL

Jgrovem110

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2018
Looking for a solid optic for a precision trainer/possible NRl 22 rifle. I’ve been looking at the Vortex strike eagle 5-25FFP and meopta optika 6 3-18 FFP? As a wild card I was looking at the Athlon Ares. Any thoughts I’m new to rimfire so any suggestions I’ll gladly take.

Looking for a solid optic for a precision trainer/possible NRl 22 rifle. I’ve been looking at the Vortex strike eagle 5-25FFP and meopta optika 6 3-18 FFP? As a wild card I was looking at the Athlon Ares. Any thoughts I’m new to rimfire so any suggestions I’ll gladly take.
I have a Strike Eagle 5-25x56 EBR-7C and it's a great scope. But honestly, the Japanese ED glass in the Arken EP5 is better to my eyes. I also have one of these, and for the price difference between the 2, the EP5 is a no-brainer. Plus, it has a precision tracking guarantee. Just my thoughts owning both scopes and having spent lots of time behind both of them, and comparing them side-by-side, on identically setup rifles. Both scopes have pros and cons. Mostly just personal gripes of things I'd change if it were me designing "the perfect budget scope".

I currently have the Vortex Crossfire on a Savage TR and I feel that it works excellent for the price. If I was trying to replicate a centerfire rig for training I would advise the use of the same optic or the purchase of a second optic that is identical for the centerfire. I am saving for a high end optic to do double duty on two platforms with high quality quick detach rings. I am going this direction because I want the same controls, eye relief, size, weight, and reticle in each experience. A high quality optic will return to zero so I will only need to pay attention when transferring between platforms. If you are looking for a dedicated plinking platform than all of the optics you noted will meet your needs. If you are all about ranging and mastering the mill dot than I would suggest buying the optic you would be comfortable with on you centerfire first and using it on your trainer. I know the cost may appear harsh for a .22 but your optic is a key component of you rig. Buying a higher end optic tht can fill multiple roles can be a money saver in the long run.

I just mounted three Mueller APT Scopes on my new rimfire rifles , have not made it to the range yet but just looking through them here at the house , i really like them so far. Very clear all the way up to 14 power. You get a lot of scope for the money . Looks like all my future rimfires will have a Mueller mounted on them .

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of the scopes mentioned in this thread.
Others in this price point, US Optics, Bushnell Match Pro, Burris.
At this point, you can spilt hairs on which reticle you prefer, weight, aesthetics, or possible discounts. Maybe the most important, who has what in stock?

I used to have one and any friends who have asked I tell them go Vortex Strike Eagle FFP. the 5x25x56 is the most proven and seen out there for a reason. The cost factor, bang for your buck is real.

I'd go with the Ares, more magnification and I like the reticle. I have a few Athlons from Midas Tac to Cronus on rimfire and centerfire. They have all tracked well and I've yet to have one break.

Vortex Venom and Athlon Midas Tac here.

Any experience with the optika 6? If I were to ever complete would a 3-18 be enough power?

I don't need an illuminated reticle or locking rings so I went for a pair of Venoms with Vortex rings. One on both my 22 and centerfire rifles

I'm not nearly good enough of a shooter to justify 'the good stuff.'

M

Any experience with the optika 6? If I were to ever complete would a 3-18 be enough power?
If I already had 3-18 on top of my rig, I would not hesitate to take it to a match. If I am buying a scope with intent to take it to a match, I want up to 25x (give or take). Do I need it for 100m matches, no. Do I want it for the sadistic 300m+ matches and stretching out on the ranch, yup.

I really want to try out an Optica 6 4-27x50. I just don't know about that hoop on the MRAD1 RD reticle. My gut says it will get in the way and annoy me. I may be totally wrong, though.

I just picked up an Anschutz 1416 HB and the above Optica and the Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 are at the top of the list. Leaning toward the Ares only because of length and weight.

Reactions: Jgrovem110
Thanks yeah I like what meopta brings to the table I’m just a little hesitant to try the Athlon ares , being it’s a newer manufacturer and made in China, etc.

If your kinda in that budget or pricing area I would consider the Strike Eagle like you originally mentioned. You get everything you need and it is a good bang for your buck. Even a bit cheaper is the Diamondback Tactical.

We have many customer's using the Strike Eagle 5-25's on their .22 trainers and comp guns, for their features and price it's hard to beat. :)
Would I really see much a difference paying more for it he Athlon ares or a meopta ?

I'm still amateur class; but the misses I've had in competition. Are not because of the scopes I've used. On centerfire and rimfire I've used 2 different Vortex SE's.

I sound fanboi. It's justified in my experience. Others may differ, But for the cost and the fact a used one can be had in the px for sub 600. It's the easy button.

If your budget is 1200 that opens up more options. I say browse the px. When you find a couple options in your price range. Make a post and ask for the members opinions.

You'll get honest feedback about that particular scope. That's what I did awhile back.

Then I ended up with a bunch of mid tier OG glass. It works for that application and fit my price range.

I'm still amateur class; but the misses I've had in competition. Are not because of the scopes I've used. On centerfire and rimfire I've used 2 different Vortex SE's.

I sound fanboi. It's justified in my experience. Others may differ, But for the cost and the fact a used one can be had in the px for sub 600. It's the easy button.

If your budget is 1200 that opens up more options. I say browse the px. When you find a couple options in your price range. Make a post and ask for the members opinions.

You'll get honest feedback about that particular scope. That's what I did awhile back.

Then I ended up with a bunch of mid tier OG glass. It works for that application and fit my price range.
So do you run the SE 5-25?

Reactions: camocorvette
Yes. I am also running an older bushnell Dmr 2 on a 22 comp gun as well. And honestly the dmr is bomb proof and solid. But I could have saved a couple hundred and just bought a used SE.

^^^I have Strike Eagle and Viper PST 2 —5258as above ^^^.
I prefer the Viper but just me.
Next on my try list is Athlon Chronus if I can’t find a Razor at a decent price. Bastards went up $400

Reactions: Judgeroybean67
Here we are somewhat limited to availability of midrange scopes at reasonable prices, Vortex fills that niche quite nicely.
I have a Viper PST Gen 2 on my 22, it is good enough for me up to 400m.
You might also look at the Venom, I have one my 308 Win, I shoot Bisley targets up to 900m.

I’m running a used SE in MOA.
In these “pick a scope” threads one thing that doesn’t get mentioned nearly enough is the reticle. Just like we all see art differently, we all look at reticles with a different grasp of use and ease. The EBR7C is not a perfect reticle, but it is head and shoulders over a lot out there. In barricade matches, you may start out dialing between targets, but you will fast appreciate the speed increase that comes from trusting the reticle numbers and just hold over/under and shoot. That brings up the point: do you wanna have to count tick marks or glance at numbers? Study the reticle diagrams as this will impact your scores, a lot.

I've been shooting NRL22 for over a year. Since you did not mention budget I'd suggest the Nightforce Atacr. I started with the diamondback with a tika for base class. Moved to the Strike Eagle. But for glass and turrets I love the Nightforce

Ditto on the Strike Eagle 5-25, also have and use Athlon MidasTac's for .22's. Recently picked up a Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 and a Athlon Midas BTR Gen2, Helos is for an air rifle since it parallaxes down to 10m. (Lots of features packed into these Chinese scopes, currently backed by lifetime warranties as needed until China chokes off the supply lines.). I like the option of using the Christmas tree reticles vs dialing depending on the stage design and distances.

Koshkin gave it a good review, it is real close to a Cronus. My original Cronus is a few years old and has seen a lot of use in matches.

I put a diamondback tactical in 6/24/50 on a ruger precision .17 recently and am VERY happy with it, so much so that I also put one on a bergara b-14 in 6.5. Both have proven very relaible so far. Best thing is I dont need to move the turrets out to 300 on the 17 (far as Ive shot so far with it), and can get to 800+ easy with the 6.5 and not have to move the turret. Those scopes are a great bang for your buck and save the $ not spent for buying more ammo.

I have a Burris XTRIIIi 3.3-18x50 on mine , replace a Arken SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 - glass was ok - was crap after 400 yards lots of CA on the edge of white targets, and eye box sucked ass. I was able to look through a EP5 - the glass was nice but not as good as the Burris - at least to me anyway.

This one only has 70MOA of adjustment. The Strike Eagle has 110 moa or 31 mils.
in the time I've been shooting MARS matches, I haven't needed all the travel my Venoms have but once.

admittedly, I haven't been shooting for years and years, but I don't see too many .22 matches on 1000yd ranges

M