• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for a .22 rimfire

PRDRIVER

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jan 18, 2005
    SLC, UT
    What are you guys running on your rimfires?

I'm looking for a scope for my Sako quad. I would like something that will focus at 25 yards and in the 3-9 or 4-14 power ranges. I had a 4.5-14 nikon buckmaster and had focus/parallax issues with it at 25 yards.

Thanks.

Re: Optic for a .22 rimfire

I just got a BSA Sweet 22 scope 3-9x4? from Natchess for $40 or $50. And for the money it looks like it will be great. Has turrets for 22LR and screw in Aluminum caps for the lenses. Unless it just epically fails when I shoot it off of my 10/22 I think it will be well worth the money for your basic plinker 22LR.

I have a SS 10x42 on my 22 - works great for me.

natches has a truglo 6-24 for like $80 to your door, not the best but great for a 22 and picking the tree rats out of trees

Have the Sweet 22 on my 40x, haven't had any issues from 50 and 100 yrds. Stays consistent dialing between each. For the price, it is a decent scope. Some might cringe on the 40x, but it does work.
    Chad

http://swfa.com/BSA-3-9x40-Sweet-22-Riflescope-P42505.aspx There is a close out special on the Sweet 22 for $39.95 at SWFA.
    At that price you cant go wrong for one to beat around. Im not big on BSA but the price is sure right. I use a Weaver 2-7 rimfire scope on my 22 and have had a Bushnell 4200 4-16x40 on it which I really liked but I robbed it off of the 22 for another rifle. I think the Super Sniper scopes would be a good choice with a lot of internal adjustment if you want to get out to a couple hundred yards. It really depends on how you use the scope. You might take a look at the Vortex crossfire 4-16
    http://swfa.com/Vortex-4-16x50-Crossfire-30mm-Rifle-Scope-P13296.aspx

Mueller scopes for me; APV and APT. Both 4.5-14x40AO, and well worth the price.

Put a Luppy Mark II 3 X 9 on mine. I shoot this rifle more than any other and wanted decent optics on it. The 1/2 moa turrets track well and use the mil dots for hold overs. Bought it used off a fellow hider and have been very happy so far.

I JUST ordered one of these for my Savage MK II TR. I posted the same question and received the same response as GTriever posted. Went with the Mueller 4.5x14 from mizzoumuleguns.com. 145.00 shipped with free sunshade. 30mm tube 1/4 moa adj. Looking forward to getting it. Scroll down about half way for the scope ad.
    Steve

http://www.mizzoumuleguns.com/index.html

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solothurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x 40mm mil-dot. </div></div>

I had one of these scopes last year. It is a great scope, but I could not get it to focus at 25 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solothurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x 40mm mil-dot. </div></div>
    Did you not see in his original post that he had one and it didn't focus at 25 yards? Not that I have ever done that
    blush.gif

The Mueller line of scopes are noted for parallax adjustment down to about 15 yards. I would recommend the APT or APV, they are in the power range you are looking for and the folks at Mueller are top notch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: fdkay</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Solothurn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nikon Buckmasters 4.5-14x 40mm mil-dot. </div></div>
    Did you not see in his original post that he had one and it didn't focus at 25 yards? Not that I have ever done that
    blush.gif

</div></div>

No worries.

The Nikon is a really nice scope, especially for the money. But it just doesn't work for this application.

Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep them coming.

MK4 10X is what I use and I shoot 25-200 yds all the time. A bit pricey for a .22 though.

The best all round .22 scope I've tried is the Leupold 1" 4.5x14 VX-3 objective focus. It focuses down to 25 yards but I have no trouble seeing at 20 yards on 14 power. At 4.5 power I can use it at ten feet. Its not to big or long to look out of place on a .22. Just a very under rated scope for a nice .22. No bulky target knobs either. Oh and they really hold their value if you ever want to sell them. If you buy one used you almost always get to use it for free for however long you want to keep it. My last one I bought used for $350 about 4 years ago. It will bring that just about anywhere anytime.

The Leupold VX11 3-9x33 EFR Rimfire is an outstanding scope,that has parallax adjustment down to 10 yards. I fought paying the $400. for this scope, but finally folded and bought one. This scope is amazing! One of Leupold's best kept secrets,IMHO. I have it on a Magnum Research Magnumlite .17 HM2,replacing a Leupold 6.5-20x40 EFR Target. The glass is crystal clear and bright,allowing me to shoot .25" fifty yard groups consistently indoors. I would not consider myself to be of the caliber of shooters of most here by any stretch,so give all credit to the gun,scope and ammo(CCI). If you get a chance to look through one, I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

RMW I was thinking of spending up to $400. [/quote said:
    Lots of options there(tactical turrets, mildots, etc.).....
    Bushnell Tactical
    Millett
    Mueler
    Nikkon
    SuperSniper
    Vortex gets good reviews but I'm not familiar with them.

I have been using a Hensoldt 4x16 on my CZ 452 American .22lr, for sitting rabbits and such. The glass is better than everything I have seen, and the exit pupil is phenomenal and forgiving. My cheek touches the stock - WOW - like high-definition widescreen TV.

avjxxl.jpg

I also use a much less expensive Nikon that I picked up on sale at Walmart. Both work very well. The gap between them, though, is significant in every regard...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Earthworm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have been using a Hensoldt 4x16 on my CZ 452 American .22lr, for sitting rabbits and such. The glass is better than everything I have seen, and the exit pupil is phenomenal and forgiving. My cheek touches the stock - WOW - like high-definition widescreen TV.

avjxxl.jpg
    </div></div>

I've heard those Hensoldt scopes are awesome, but the scope is like 10 times the price of the rifle.

I found a great deal on a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16. I may jump on this even though it's a little more $ than I was planning on.

So, I ended getting a Bushnell 6500 2.5-16X42. I found a deal that was pretty hard to pass up.

The scope seems pretty nice for the money.

I plan on mounting it up this weekend. Hopefully, I can make it out to the range on Saturday.

I'll let post some pics and let you guys know my opinions of it as soon as I can get out.

Thanks for all the comments.

Nice choice, i have a mueller apv my .17 and i love it. REally clear glass and it holds a zero

I went to the range to mount it up and sight it in and forgot the dang rings. Maybe next week?