• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for general purpose 5.56

LAcpa

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2020
Louisiana
My current project is a general purpose AR15/5.56 for everything from 5 yards to 500 yards. Good at everything, but great at nothing since there are always trade offs. The rifle is Aero upper and lower, Criterion core 16”, BCM bcg and handguard, and magpul acs-l. I will run with and without a can.

I am looking at optics and have settled on Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 Mildot and 45 degree Arisaka/Leupold DPP. I know it’s not an lpvo, doesn’t have a true 1x, and doesn’t have FFP. However, The Trijicon 3-9x40 is light weight(less than 14oz), versatile magnification range, usable reticle at distance, battery-free illumination, good history for durability. The mildot is an old design, but should suffice for a general purpose rifle. Lpvo reticles are usually good/great at 1x and poor for use at the higher end of their magnification.

I also considered but ruled out Primary Arms 2.5-10x44 (too heavy and not a fan of acss reticles), Trijicon credo 2-10x36 (too heavy), and Leupold Mark 3hd 3-9x40. The Leupold has a TMR reticle and exposed elevation dial and is about 16oz. I thought the Trijicon 3-9x40 was a better option. I like TMR reticle on the Leupold, but the reticle is pretty thick on this scope.

I am not concerned with price, but as price increases, the features and weight usually do too. the mid range scope market is so slim since lpvo and ELR seems to be the focus of optics manufacturers. Anything other scopes I am missing in this magnification range?

The Brownells MPO 1-8 for $800 is a good deal and while it weights 24.8 oz it will likely be very close or lighter than a 3-9 and Aimpoint combo especially if you pick a lighter mount. It is SFP but that doesn't seem to be much of an issue for you (this actually helps on 1x).

I've got a 13.9" Criterion pinned to 16" with a DA FH and love it. Was ringing steel at 520 yds easily. I'm waiting on reviews of the Primary Arms PLX Compact 1-8 because they are crazy light and have pretty good reticles.

There is another thread going right now where someone is asking about LPVO options for a 14.5" and that is probably worth a read.

ATA: your comment about LPVOs not being poor for use on the upper end of the mag range is probably off base in most cases. The only time I find the MPO to lack is when it is getting very dark and I'm trying to crank past 6x. Clarity is great through the whole mag range given there is ample light (all of the scenarios I've shot in so far)

Last edited:
Vortex Razor HD Gen3 1-10x24 LPVO gets rave reviews from lots of folks on here. I can't afford one, so I don't have one. But if I could, I would. Amazon has them for $2,500 in MOA and MRAD with the EBR-9 reticles.

I have a Strike Eagle 1-8x24 SFP LPVO on my .300 BLK and it's been a great optic for the money. They also just released a brand new Strike Eagle 1-8x24 FFP version, that has me pretty interested. It's only like $599. Might be worth looking into. 👍🏼

Reactions: SmolPP
Something like a Kahles K16I, Vortex 1-10, 1-8 atacr would be a good option.

Tbh if I wasnt going to choose a lpvo for me personally I'd just deal with an extra 4-10 oz and run a 2.5-10, 3-15 or 3-18 vs a 3-9.

Reactions: JDB55 and FuhQ
That is a tiny scope. I imagine mounting could be a challenge given the limited length. But will definitely do some research. 17 oz is light.
There’s a special mount for it and this is an excellent choice. I have a PA 1-8 Griffin FFP and it’s excellent but heavy. If the new lighter one pans out consider it. Glass is great on mine and illumination is daylight bright. Reticle is easy for MIL wind and elevation holds out to 700 on 2/3 ipsc and can be done further.

Reactions: JDB55
The new Vortex Spitfire 5x Prism Optic is really nice. I'm thinking about upgrading one of my old Gen1 Spitfire 3x scopes with one. Those old Spitfire 3x scopes have been through some serious abuse on my rifles, and been beat-around and knocked-around, rode in the back of trucks, 4-wheelers, side-x-sides, tractors, etc... and they're still ticking, and they still hold true zero after all these years. They might not be the highest tier optics, but they've been pretty bombproof from my experience with them.

For a SHTF-quality optic that doesn't have a lot of fancy features, and will hold up well, the turrets are protected well and completely internal, it will hold zero, and will allow you to do most anything between 50-500 yards, the Spitfire 3x or 5x is worth looking into. It's essentially a budget ACOG, that doesn't have solar power.

The new Vortex Spitfire 5x Prism Optic is really nice. I'm thinking about upgrading one of my old Gen1 Spitfire 3x scopes with one. Those old Spitfire 3x scopes have been through some serious abuse on my rifles, and been beat-around and knocked-around, rode in the back of trucks, 4-wheelers, side-x-sides, tractors, etc... and they're still ticking, and they still hold true zero after all these years. They might not be the highest tier optics, but they've been pretty bombproof from my experience with them.

For a SHTF-quality optic that doesn't have a lot of fancy features, and will hold up well, the turrets are protected well and completely internal, it will hold zero, and will allow you to do most anything between 50-500 yards, the Spitfire 3x or 5x is worth looking into. It's essentially a budget ACOG, that doesn't have solar power.
I am liking what I see so far on the 5x version. Thanks for the suggestion.

Reactions: FuhQ
I am liking what I see so far on the 5x version. Thanks for the suggestion.
FWIW, Burris also has a 5x Prism with two different reticles and made to mount an RDS if you so desire.
The Athlon Ares 1-10 might be worth a look.

I had the same criteria. Went with these.... The G3/RMR for extended ranges (DMR mode). The Accupoint for "Eotech/G33" style duty inside of 250y.
Happy with the G3/RMR/77TMK. Does a good job for PID and acceptable speed up close.

Attachments

• 20220203_053214~3.jpg
    20220203_053214~3.jpg
    605.1 KB · Views: 244
  • 20220123_201207~3.jpg
    20220123_201207~3.jpg
    623.2 KB · Views: 602
Reactions: 5RWill and JDB55
I think if there ever was an LVPO that was a jack of all trades ace of none it has to be the Gen III. I mean that in a complimentary way. It screams mid size AR to me. Seems like there is a little bit of magnification just looking at it. Reticle is great though and it can be easily used to clear whatever up close. I haven't gotten to use mine much as I just got it in but even with the eyebox likely being a little tight at 10x, I'm not sure there is a more versatile optic in that form factor or weight class. Do wish there was parallax adjustment but hell it can't be perfect now can it?

Attachments

• IMG_4081.jpg
    IMG_4081.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 547
Reactions: TacticalPlinker