• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic for recce build

DH

Private
Minuteman
Jun 17, 2006
I need a light weight optic for a recce build. 3-12 or 4-14 variable, 1" or 30mm with shorter length(13") and lightest weight(<20oz.) being important, and Mil-dot for holdovers. I have several 13-15 lb rifles and they are great but I built this one for light weight coyote calling rifle. I have a burris PEPR 30mm mount that is not being used so that would be nice to reuse if I can but if there is a good scope out there that is 1" tube then I don't mind to get a new mount. Also cost I have mark 4 and IOR, I like them but I don't want their high price or heavy weight for this build, I would prefer to keep it under 600.00. ARe the burris fullfield TAC30 4.5-14 any good or should I keep looking? Originally I planned on a 3-9 mark AR, but after shooting the rifle it deserves a little more topend power to take advantage of the accuracy. I figured 350 yd max, well 500 is really doable with the 69smk that it shoots into bugholes. MarkAR 4-12 anybody have input on these. Completely open to suggestions, I just don't want to hear NF or S&B. Yeah in a perfect world, but if that was the case then I would be better looking and married to a supermodel.

Re: Optic for recce build

Do you night hunt with a spotlight or only hunt during daylight hours?

I do a lot of night hunting for fox with an AR. I wanted pretty much the same optic you are looking for, but couldn't find anything that fit ALL the criteria. I ended up sacrificing some magnification on the top end. I went with a Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 with the green mil-dot. FOR NIGHT HUNTING i absolutely love this scope. It is 1" tube, under 13" long and under 14oz and has a mil-dot with an illuminated dot in the center. No batteries or rheostat to fool around with. Somehow the intensity of the dot illumination is always perfect. It lacks some of the top end magnification you wanted though.

They also make a 2.5-10x56 which is a bit bigger then what you were looking for and still under the high end magnification.

I have a nightforce and leupold VXIII with illuminated duplex reticle and for night hunting the trijicon is the winner in my opinion.

If you don't hunt at night, most of what i said is probably useless to you so i apologize in advance.

Re: Optic for recce build

if you need something asap, SS 3-9
if not, wait it out for the new vortex line