• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic (LPV) for .308 semi-auto

rtpguy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2013
Hi all.

I'm considering an optic for my eventually-coming MDR. I've waffled back and forth on this a bit RE: magnification range, but run an ERS 3.5-21 w/G2 (smaller than Horus but still xmas-tree) reticle on my bolt gun and love it, holding far more than dialing.

I have 2 ranges where I can shoot out to 800yards or 1K, primarily steel but paper to 300 yards for 'semi-precision' and load workups.
The intent really is to see 'how far can I reach out?' with the MDR vs the bolt gun, which will be limited to 16" barrel initially, but I'd consider moving to a 19-20" later. With the 16" barrel, I'm hopeful to go beyond 600yds (SMK 175gr BTHPs), but 'we'll see what we see' when we get there.

At this point, I've pretty much settled on a 1-N, as I may well run a few 3-guns for grins with it, and in the worst case (yes, assuming they ever ship it..), I have other rifles that could use a solid 1-8x or similar, which would certainly see run and gun/3-gun events. Majority of shooting is morning through late afternoon.

I know some will debate the merits of FFP vs SFP with 1x at the low end, but I'm 'in love' with hold vs dial whenever possible, so am looking for FFP, mil-based reticle that is ideally usable at both ends of the mag. range. Mil-based reticle over anything using BDC. Illumination desired.

After far too much time spent looking through options I was able to find, I'm considering the Trijicon 1-8x Accupower, red illumination, MIL reticle, or looking for a used USO SR-8C w/mil reticle. Have considered various used 'oddballs' - I think both IOR and March have 1-10x optics but am somewhat afraid of going that route with seemingly few out there, as well as $$ even used (when one pops up).

Looking at sub-$2K, with the closer it gets towards $1500 the easier it is to 'justify' in general. (yeah sorry, no TT or SBs.. ;) )

Any other options worth considering, or anyone with hands on both the above optics with feedback on either?

Last edited:
I had envisioned something similar with my MWS originally. I purchased an SR-8C for it when they first came out.
Ended up selling the optic after a few months of use. It’s well built and robust, I loved the daylight bright dot.
I found the center of the reticle to be too thick for any kind of precision work at distance. There was some curvature of the image that I couldn’t get past as well.

Minox 1-8x are bad ass I love mine.
https://www.cstactical.com/store/Search.aspx?SearchTerms=Minox ZP8 TAC
20431438_1657926757583164_692962084203997002_n.jpg?oh=fd78c7e79e57d3936325490e776071d7&oe=5A3D...jpg

Mike @ CSTACTICAL

I have the Burris XTRII 1-8 on my 16" .308 gasser and I love it. It is a big step up even for the XTRII line. It's a Japan scope, made by LOW I believe. Same company that does most of the high end Japanese scopes. Think Vortex Razor 1-6, Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5 type scopes. The clarity is fantastic, VERY LITTLE if any fishbowl effect that is so common in this power range. If it's there, I can't see it. Mine is a FFP, with a BDC reticle. I REALLY like it. I run a 1-6 Razor on a 5.56 AR, and the Burris gives up nothing to the Razor as far as glass.

I have quite a bit a bit of time behind the Bushnell Elite 1-8.5 as well. It is also a fantastic scope, but it's more $$ than the Burris.

I would give both both a serious look. I'm a "glass snob", running S&B on my bolt and gas competition guns, so I'm used to good glass.

The Burris XTRII, or the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5 should not disappoint.

I had envisioned something similar with my MWS originally. I purchased an SR-8C for it when they first came out.
Ended up selling the optic after a few months of use. It’s well built and robust, I loved the daylight bright dot.
I found the center of the reticle to be too thick for any kind of precision work at distance. There was some curvature of the image that I couldn’t get past as well.

I've got some concern on any of the LPVs for reticle thickness. What sort of shooting were you doing at longer ranges?

CSTactical said:
Minox 1-8x are bad ass I love mine.
3K is not <2K unless you're saying you sell them for under 2K? :) Reviews seem to gripe a bit on eye box/eye relief at 8x, and I have concerns over the 'auto-switching' between red dot and reticle illumination being one more added thing to break/go wrong.

VegasHKShooter said:
I have the Burris XTRII 1-8 on my 16" .308 gasser and I love it.
Mine is a FFP, with a BDC reticle.
The Burris XTRII, or the Bushnell Elite Tactical 1-8.5
Looked into both, as I'd be more than OK with 'another Bushnell' based on my ERS, but non BDC reticle not available AFAIK. Not looking for a BDC reticle.

Bumping one more time in case anyone has additional feedback, or of course if CSTactical was doing more than a drive-by ad and is offering the ZP8 per my criteria at < $2K? :)

Still waffling across USO SR8C and Trijicon 1-8 mil FFP, or maybe an IOR 1-10 FFP Mil used, and just saw the March 1-10x Shorty.

Any experience with any of the above welcome.

Based on your time frame, I would say wait to see what Shot show reveals this year.

I know the XTR II may be rolling out something other than a BDC. Don't quote me, it's too soon for quotes. Just sayin'

Based on your time frame, I would say wait to see what Shot show reveals this year.

I know the XTR II may be rolling out something other than a BDC. Don't quote me, it's too soon for quotes. Just sayin'

Announcements are usually well ahead of shipping products at SHOT. Unless you're indicating otherwise? ;)
I'd be open to considering a 1-8x FFP MIL reticle XTR II...in Jan or so.

Bumping one more time in case anyone has additional feedback, or of course if CSTactical was doing more than a drive-by ad and is offering the ZP8 per my criteria at < $2K? :)

Still waffling across USO SR8C and Trijicon 1-8 mil FFP, or maybe an IOR 1-10 FFP Mil used, and just saw the March 1-10x Shorty.

Any experience with any of the above welcome.

Sorry I missed your criteria of under $2,000 :eek: for a 1-8 at that price range I really like the Burris XTR II 1-8 as well as the Trijicon 1-8.

I am testing the Burris and like it a lot, but I would like it even more with a mrad-based reticle.

Aside from the Trijicon, the only sub-$1500 option I can think of is the Primary Arms Platinum 1-8x24 with mil-based reticle.
http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-...-with-advanced-mil-reticle-pa1-8x24ffp-ad-mil

Their Platinum series scopes are made in Japan and perform very nicely. Reticles are in the of the beholder, but I prefer their reticle to Trijicon's.

For my money, in this price range, I am looking at either Burris or PA. Next step up is $3k scopes like the excellent Minox.

ILya

Thanks Ilya.
Seems like I saw a ZP8 used or discounted for $2300 recently, but not sure I'm convinced the auto-disable of the SFP dot via mag ring isn't going to break, and still a chunk of $.

I've been aware of PA and the Platinum series - ran one of their red dots and wasn't 'nice' to it for a while. I think I forgot they had a non-ACSS/BDC reticle version. Looking at it, seems the center dot is pretty thick at .3mil, but otherwise not bad. While I was happy enough and have recommended PA over <random Holosun, low end red dots, ..> and even their 4-14x or do for 'budget-minded' friends, I'm not sure I've mentally made the leap to a > $1K PA.

Sort of funny, as if I look at it's specs and tell myself it's a Bushnell ET, Burris XTII, etc. - I think I like it. :)

What didn't you like about the Trijicon? Any thoughts vs finding an SR8C?

I just had an unexpected outlay of $, so may wind up waiting to see what SHOT brings unless a great deal comes up that more or less fits the bill.

Thanks Ilya.
Seems like I saw a ZP8 used or discounted for $2300 recently, but not sure I'm convinced the auto-disable of the SFP dot via mag ring isn't going to break, and still a chunk of $.

I've been aware of PA and the Platinum series - ran one of their red dots and wasn't 'nice' to it for a while. I think I forgot they had a non-ACSS/BDC reticle version. Looking at it, seems the center dot is pretty thick at .3mil, but otherwise not bad. While I was happy enough and have recommended PA over <random Holosun, low end red dots, ..> and even their 4-14x or do for 'budget-minded' friends, I'm not sure I've mentally made the leap to a > $1K PA.

Sort of funny, as if I look at it's specs and tell myself it's a Bushnell ET, Burris XTII, etc. - I think I like it. :)

What didn't you like about the Trijicon? Any thoughts vs finding an SR8C?

I just had an unexpected outlay of $, so may wind up waiting to see what SHOT brings unless a great deal comes up that more or less fits the bill.

PA has been moving upmarket. They've got their ACSS reticle in the ACOG and the Platinum series hails from Japan. It seems that they are here to stay. I have not had a whole lot of interaction with them beyond a few random e-mails, but they seem to have their act together.

ILya