• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Magnification vs. Mirage ???

VTi

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2004
Wyoming
Hi guys. Today we were shooting steel targets at 900yds and the mirage just terrible. The conditions must have been perfect to make the mirage especially shitty. We still did fine, but it brings up the question...

How do you all deal with heavy mirage regarding scope magnification? I've heard/read some shooters like to crank the optic all the way up and try to just peer right through, while others say to dial back the mag. making the mirage less visible. I've always tried it both ways, and found advantages and disadvantages each way.

What do y'all do?

Re: Optic Magnification vs. Mirage ???

I live in San Francisco, the range I go to is 40 minutes away and the tempertures range from 40 in winter to 65 in summer, so mirage is generally not a problem. When the temps are higher, usually about twice each summer and mirage is a problem, I dial down from 32X until I get a good sight picture.
This is what works for me. YMMV
myerfire

Re: Optic Magnification vs. Mirage ???

Mirage is your friend, i do much better calling wind watching mirage thru scope than anything else

So long as i can make out target i use max magnification as conditions allow, take a read then back of mag a lil to improve target visibility.

Use what works best for you