• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic objective lens very close to barrel

DesertScout23

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2013
Wondering if this height will be a problem, such as recoil causing contact between barrel and optic?

I like these lens caps and would prefer to keep them. Obviously my clearance would be better without them. I’m running low rings because it gets the optic line-of-sight to perfect cheek weld height for me. I can slide 4 stacked pieces of computer paper in there (between barrel and optic).

See attached photo. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    252.6 KB · Views: 188
So the 4 pcs of paper is not between the caps and barrel, but the space between the optic and barrel?

It’s 4 pieces of paper between the cap and barrel.
So that's. 016" . It's closer than I'd have it but it won't necessarily effect anything. If it touches under recoil it can effect it. If you can put your hand on the optic and push it down into the barrel, then I'd rethink this. Jmo

Reactions: DesertScout23
21B4B870-099D-4C24-8D2B-FFB4F580E220.jpeg

Reactions: Nik H and Haney
Thanks guys. I’ll try pushing it down a bit to see if contact occurs. Also will try the play doh idea. I’ll also shave a bit off bottom of lens cap. Maybe with a belt sander.

I’m a little resistant to getting higher rings because my cheek weld is perfection right now. And cheek comb height is maxed out on this Grayboe Phoenix.

I guess my real question is:
Have any of you personally known anyone who has had damage to their optic (other than cosmetic) from close proximity to barrel?

Common sense would say …follow the mfg recommendation

Asking the internet which is full of people who believe the earth is flat and taking their advice over a MFG

Excellent idea

Hey, you got a Vortex, it has a VIP warranty so go for it.
Just kidding, that gap between the scope cap and barrel is not even 1/16".
And the bell end is also less than 1/8" on the barrel chamber area.
So i would put one step higher mount, so it would not get busted.

Take video with your phone of you shooting. Might give you the information most relevant to you and your gear.

Trim bottom of the cap would be a great option, too.

Hey, you got a Vortex, it has a VIP warranty so go for it.
Just kidding, that gap between the scope cap and barrel is not even 1/16".
And the bell end is also less than 1/8" on the barrel chamber area.
So i would put one step higher mount, so it would not get busted.
These companies are often business 1st, science 2nd. Not saying MFG isn’t often accurate. I just expect a wide birth of “CYA” when it comes down to recommendations.

Reactions: viking78
Business is science first.

They recommend certain specs because they know people will not take their advice then ask the internet what to do.

Then complain about poor results

Seems oddly familiar

What's the concern, scope flexing under recoil? I can sell you a tunable scope cap to minimize the harmonic wave. ;)

If one piece of paper between the barrel and the stock is good enough for most people, 4 pieces of paper should be okay IMO. But there are ways you could test it.

Shit, I forgot to add statistically irrelevant in there somewhere.

Last edited:
You work for one of them? Is that how you know?
Haha I see where this is going. Sorry, but no I don’t believe that “most” businesses prioritize science over money. However, I’m sure that many “good” businesses will. I don’t have a method for sifting through moral integrity and scientific accuracy of businesses. So I’m looking into things myself, which is why I’m here.

I’m entertaining everyone’s thoughts, even if it’s not what I want to hear.

If I decide to go with a little bit taller optic rings, I will need a way to raise my cheek weld even though it’s maxed out.

Do any of you have any recommendations on a cheap pad or something I can add to my comb to get my eye where it needs to be?

🤣🤣🤣

Thanks for that.
It is if you want to make money.

Or be a poor and keep believing that business don’t weigh quality/COGS/and product pipeline

Next you’ll say that with out the guy in back sweating the company will fail, because the owners don’t know what it takes to get things done

Listen, for the past 23 years I have designed and sold my own products worldwide for a living. My main products are fuel solutions.

You are free to believe what you will and I am free to get a much needed laugh from such a ludicrous statement. Oh if it were only that simple.
What's your brand/trademark so I pass it by when I see it.

Probably no bigger snake oil than fuel additives and products.

Haha I see where this is going. Sorry, but no I don’t believe that “most” businesses prioritize science over money. However, I’m sure that many “good” businesses will. I don’t have a method for sifting through moral integrity and scientific accuracy of businesses. So I’m looking into things myself, which is why I’m here.

I’m entertaining everyone’s thoughts, even if it’s not what I want to hear.

A dry cleaner probably doesn't really put too much time into r&d and engineering. A company making high precision optical products probably does.

What's your brand/trademark so I pass it by when I see it.

Probably no bigger snake oil than fuel additives and products.
It makes perfect sense that when I say “fuel solutions” your mind would go “fuel additives”.

Ok let’s assume for a moment that I actually do sell snake oil.

History is replete with “technicians” who thought as long as they got the “science” right, their products would sell. Most didn't. It takes a hell of a lot more than “science” to run a business and by the way, if you think I’m selling snake oil, you’ve actually just made my case.

Harley Davidson made a killing when every piece of science was against them. There was a time when you paid way over retail to order a Harley and you waited months for it while there was a plethora better options on the market. In fact, in the boardroom they had a saying “Enough Harleys is too many.” This was because of their marketing/brand strategy of “false scarcity”.

Elon Musk has done a masterful job of convincing many people that the future is electric cars. Anyone with half a brain, who understands the “science” involved knows that this is more than unlikely, but yet he keeps selling vehicles. All the while being subsidized by the government in terms of tax breaks for purchasing his vehicles “of the future”. Meanwhile, Bill Gates has a $2 billion short on this company.

I do phone tech support everyday for people installing my fuel solutions. 99% of them are DIY and have never had a carburetor apart.. Yes, I have a lot of firm recommendations for my customers. And yes many of them are science based. BUT NOT ALL. I’m running a business here, not a laboratory and certainly not a school.

Doing what’s best for the company and trying to minimize hassle does not always mean that it’s the best “science”. It doesn’t mean that somebody who can split a fine hair on something isn’t actually modifying my “science” for the better. Yes,I have protocols and recommendations in place both for science, some for convenience, and some to protect my brand. Keeping my customers on the path is about selling a “result”.

A technician believes that that is solely based on the science.

A business person understands that it’s much, much more complicated than that…….

IMG_4064.jpeg

Wondering if this height will be a problem, such as recoil causing contact between barrel and optic?

I like these lens caps and would prefer to keep them. Obviously my clearance would be better without them. I’m running low rings because it gets the optic line-of-sight to perfect cheek weld height for me. I can slide 4 stacked pieces of computer paper in there (between barrel and optic).

See attached photo. Thanks
Sorry to derail your thread. I will let you get back to it.

This was a timely post because I was having a similar issue due to the Vortex cap. I chose to cut a small section of rubber out as a relief. I tape them on with Goon Tape anyway, so it works perfectly.

I only chose to do this out of an abundance of caution, since I’m getting ready to test fire this rifle for the first time I don’t want any thing interfering with the barrel harmony harmonics. I saw no possibility in my case it would’ve moved enough to cause any damage.

That said, your caps are hard, which is why the recommendation to grind them down actually makes good sense. I have to agree that 1/8” sounds like a solid “science based” recommendation to me. Especially with unforgiving hard material.

Thanks for bringing this up…..

You asked for an opinion: you are fine, if anything flexes that much to touch, you have WAY bigger concerns to worry about...... But hey, it is just a opinion, as you've seen, many differ.....

Update: using about 20+ pounds of manual pressure using my hand, there was a minute amount of flexion. Not enough to make contact with barrel. I used a belt sander to give me an extra mm of clearance lol. I’ll take a close up slow motion video and update you guys. I’m also going to use some pressure sensitive film to determine if any contact is made during any flexion. I’m determined to measure what type of voodoo we’re dealing with. MC!