• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic quality variations within same model scope

ThrottleJ

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2008
SW Oregon
Among high end rifle scopes like Schmidt and Bender how much variation is there in the optic quality from scope to scope of the same model? Excluding defective scopes have you ever observed a discernible difference in optic quality between two "identical" scopes? There is obviously some variation due to manufacturing tolerances but is it something you can see with the naked eye? I'm interested to see what others think about this.

Re: Optic quality variations within same model scope

Only brand I've owned or used with noticable/significant glass quality difference between units is USO.

At a shoot some years ago when we maybe had 30 scopes and rifles we put out testtargets and tried them agaisnt each others.
All shooters looked through all the scopes.
One S&B 5-25 was noticiable less good than the others S&B 5-25. And one Zeiss 6-24 was noticiable much better than the other 6-24.
So I belive all factories have mondays, but the more you pay, the less monday effect you get....

Håkan

I've personally had four 5-25's from S&B and they were all identical. That's only four, but I hope it helps. I'm with HAmstur in that I've only noticed that difference in the USO's

I have a couple dozen S&B's and all are stunning. I have had over a dozen NF's and all were the same. Good I have 3 USO's and they do seem to vary, but they are not the same types.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Spuhr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">At a shoot some years ago when we maybe had 30 scopes and rifles we put out testtargets and tried them agaisnt each others.
All shooters looked through all the scopes.
One S&B 5-25 was noticiable less good than the others S&B 5-25. And one Zeiss 6-24 was noticiable much better than the other 6-24.
So I belive all factories have mondays, but the more you pay, the less monday effect you get....

Håkan

</div></div>thanks for these.
g.gif

We would likely never have seen the differances by just using the scopes, I belive testtargets are a must.

Håkan