• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes Optic Recommendatio for Fix Q

Rootshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2006
SF Bay Area
Hey everyone,

I've just ordered "The Fix" by Q in 6.5 Creedmoor with a Proof Research barrel. I'm looking for an optic and would appreciate some help narrowing down choices.

I plan to use this as a range gun for up to 1K distance shooting as well as hunting.

My requirements are:
FFP
Etched Mil-scale reticle / Mil knobs to match my other rifles
Exposed elevation turret
5x or better magnification range with the low end no higher than 3x
40-50mm objective
Great glass, tracking, and repeatability
Relatively low weight to match the low weight of the rifle.

I don't plan on dropping this out of a helicopter, so I will sacrifice ruggedness for weight.

Appreciate the help

I dknt what your budget is, however, I'm waiting to order fir myself a new scope from Schmidt and Bender their new PM II 5-45×56 with the new Horus Tremor 3 reticle.
Its pricey, $5900 in black,
$6300 in Ral 8000 or Panatone.
I'm looking to one day participate in the 1-2 mile shooting club-someday

Here is a picture of my 308Win Fix with Proof barrel and Tangent Theta 3-15x50 TT315M scope. As configured, it weighs exactly 10 lbs, unloaded, but with the bipod.
It is a kickass combination.
If you want a little more magnification in a compact package, Leupold Mark 5HD 3.6-18x44 is a very itnerseting option, although TT is a better scope. Other good options are S&B 3-20x50 and Kahles K318i. I ahve not tested the Kahles, but S&B UL is a nice scope, although I still prefer the TT to it.
i-wKKpSGN-L.jpg

Great scope, but a bit heavy and large. It also doesn't meet my desired low end of the magnification range and max objective size.

I may end up getting a second March 3-24x40. It's a relatively light, compact and capable scope. I know some aren't fans of March, but I like mine.

TT315M weighs 28 ounces.

I switched to it from March 3-24x42 which was a very nice scope, but for general purpose use, I much prefer the Tangent Theta. It is a much easier scope to use largely owing to significantly better DOF and contrast.

TT315M weighs 28 ounces.

I switched to it from March 3-24x42 which was a very nice scope, but for general purpose use, I much prefer the Tangent Theta. It is a much easier scope to use largely owing to significantly better DOF and contrast.

Koshkin - Great feedback on the Tangent Theta. Any regrets with it?

I'll take a picture with the mark 5hd if you want to see what it looks like on the Fix.

As far as TT goes, I am sorta on the record that I think these are the best scopes on the market from an optomechanical standpoint.

ILya

Reactions: Bender
Schmidt and Bender Polar T96 3-12x54 FFP and with adjustable parallax could be an interesting choice? They're around 22-23oz and have 9.7mils on the turret with awesome glass. Just doesn't meet your 5 power requirement.

Not too change the subject, but what does your Fix weigh without optic and bipod Koshkin

Im putting the Leupold mark 5 3.6-18 on mine. Looks like the perfect combo to me. My Fix hits the FFL Tuesday!

Which one did you get Hondo1?

22” Creedmoor “grayish Brown”

I emailed Q to see what lead time would be for a 6.5 with a Proof barrel and was told 6-8 months.
I’m more of an instant gratification kinda fella so I went down their dealer list until I finally found one in stock.

I'll need to weigh it again to be sure. Given that the scope with mount and bipod weigh a bit over 3 pounds, the rifle on its own has to be less than 7lbs.

ILya

On the Q website, they list a 22" 6.5 creedmoor with a steel barrel in medium palma at 7.6 pounds, so a 24" proof probably is under 7 pounds. 6.5 pounds might not be out of the question.

Ares BTR 2.5 to 15x50 might be a good option for you. I Have one on a 308 and really enjoy shooting with it.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I like the Leupold Mark 5 that was recommended and ended up ordering the Mark 6 since it has 6x magnification range with 3x on the low end. I haven't seen many reviews on it, but one indicated some tracking issues. Sounds like I have to QA the thing carefully once I receive it.

I really appreciate everyone's input. I like the Leupold Mark 5 that was recommended and ended up ordering the Mark 6 since it has 6x magnification range with 3x on the low end. I haven't seen many reviews on it, but one indicated some tracking issues. Sounds like I have to QA the thing carefully once I receive it.

Which specific model did you order?

For what it's worth, having tested both, I think Mark 5HD is a better scope.

ILya

Reactions: Ravenyzf-r6

ILya

I ordered the 170826. Would love to hear why the 5HD is better. Can you share more details and recommend a specific model? I can always change my order.

ILya
The mk5 looks good to me so far. It would be tough to build a worse scope for the money than a mk6. My 10 year old vx3's have a higher build quality, better looking glass, and better functioning turrets.

My fix started out with a 4-16 atacr, then a LRHSi. Both worked very well on it. The atacr is probobly going back on though.

I've been thinking about trading out my K624I for the 4-16 ATACR or the new 3.5-18 Kahles
The atacr is an ideal choice, imo, since I will use the fix for hunting, as well as general LR precision. Slightly heavier than ideal, but great glass and a compact scope. I have a 2.5-10 ready for it as well. Tough to beat as a lighter, do all option.

I tested the Mark
The mk5 looks good to me so far. It would be tough to build a worse scope for the money than a mk6. My 10 year old vx3's have a higher build quality, better looking glass, and better functioning turrets.

My fix started out with a 4-16 atacr, then a LRHSi. Both worked very well on it. The atacr is probobly going back on though.

I tested the MK6 and ATACR F1 next to each other and preferred the ATACR, other than the weight. Mark 5HD, on the other hand is a different ballgame altogether. I am just about done with it and like it a lot. I am not crazy about reticle selection, but outside of that the 3.6-18x44 is an excellent design that is going to land on my list of recommendations.

ILya

I ordered the 170826. Would love to hear why the 5HD is better. Can you share more details and recommend a specific model? I can always change my order.

The one you ordered had the M5C2 turrets, which seem to work better than the M5B2 turrets I tested.

I prefer the way Mark 5 looks optically and it is a little easier to get behind. Basically, it is a newer design and it shows.

ILya

I have a 5-20X50 schmidt and Bender ultra short with Horus Tremor 2 reticle ready and waiting to be mounted on my fix as soon as it lands in England.

I really like the spec of the MK5 leupold but to be bold the white leupold etched on the eye piece really looks cheap.

So much so it doesn’t look like a 2k optic.

I would consider March if the turrets weren’t vernier type. By that I mean they literally move upwards when dialling. Again an issue seen on cheap scopes.

@koshkin - Thanks for the input. With the impressive title of "Dark Lord of Optics", I'll trust your expertise and change my order to a Mark 5.

As mentioned earlier a Tangent Theta 3-15 , Kahles 3.5-18, Leupold MK5 HD, Nightforce 4-16 and others are all great choices.
We'd be happy to go over the Pros and Cons to each of them and help guide you to the choice best suited for you @Rootshot

Reactions: jpj6780
That FIX is so good it don't need an optic, you just have to think about what you want to hit......because SCIENCE!

Reactions: Rootshot