• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic recommendation 3-18 on a budget

Shwa

Private
Minuteman
Oct 1, 2023
USA
Hello, new to the site, have been doing a ton of reading and have reached analysis paralysis. Im looking for a 3-18 scope (roughly) for a .308 bolt gun for both hunting and target shooting. There are some thick woods where I hunt so I dont want to go higher than 3x on the low end, ,willing to go lower.
Budget: $500
Distance: 25-500 yards
Illuminated reticle
FFP strongly preferred.
Adjustable parallax.
resettable turrets.
as clear glass as I can get, willing to forgo features to get clearer glass
Willing to purchase used

Things I dont care about: Tube size, weight, zero stops, brand (as long as its reputable), capped or exposed turrets. Flexible on reticle options, would prefer mil because I want to learn it, but only have experience with moa.

Riton x3 and x7 seem to hit most of the marks but their quality seems questionable so I think I have ruled them out. Primary Arms slx Gen 2 also seems to hit all the marks but currently on preorder, so its reputation isnt established but right now its my top contender, plus right now it comes with $125 store credit.

Ive found a couple that look good with SFP like the Athlon Midas 2.5-15 and the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15, but aside from the PA and Riton I seem to be striking out.

Is there anything I may be overlooking, or perhaps should I reconsider some things?

Appreciate any advice!

Reactions: Tall909
Hello, new to the site, have been doing a ton of reading and have reached analysis paralysis. Im looking for a 3-18 scope (roughly) for a .308 bolt gun for both hunting and target shooting. There are some thick woods where I hunt so I dont want to go higher than 3x on the low end, ,willing to go lower.
Illuminated reticle
FFP strongly preferred.
Adjustable parallax.
resettable turrets.
Willing to purchase used

Things I dont care about: Tube size, weight, zero stops, brand (as long as its reputable), capped or exposed turrets. Flexible on reticle options, would prefer mil because I want to learn it, but only have experience with moa.

Riton x3 and x7 seem to hit most of the marks but their quality seems questionable so I think I have ruled them out. Primary Arms slx Gen 2 also seems to hit all the marks but currently on preorder, so its reputation isnt established but right now its my top contender, plus right now it comes with $125 store credit.

Ive found a couple that look good with SFP like the Athlon Midas 2.5-15 and the Meopta Optika6 2.5-15, but aside from the PA and Riton I seem to be striking out.

Is there anything I may be overlooking, or perhaps should I reconsider some things?

Appreciate any advice!
If you can bump your max up to $600, this would be the perfect scope for you... It has every feature you want, PLUS, it has a big 34mm tube with tons of adjustment, zero stop, reputable brand, great warranty and customer service, and very good glass. It's also built in the Philippines instead of China. Which is a huge plus. 👍🏼

The reticle seems a bit wonky/thick if it's actually MRAD. Otherwise, made in Japan by JOL, and appears to be a twin the Brownells MPO.

Edit: aw fuck you questioned these... I don't recall seeing many issues with these or the MPO. I have heard complaints with the lower, non-Japanese Ritons.

Last edited:
At that price point you'll have to go Chinese, except for maybe that Riton. You can find the Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18 for $500 (there have been a few on eBay recently) or as mentioned the Athlon Helos 2-12.

If you can bump your max up to $600, this would be the perfect scope for you... It has every feature you want, PLUS, it has a big 34mm tube with tons of adjustment, zero stop, reputable brand, great warranty and customer service, and very good glass. It's also built in the Philippines instead of China. Which is a huge plus. 👍🏼

Going to look into this. wanted to stay at 3x or under on the low end, but Ive read great things about these. Then theres that Athlon ares btr gen 2 currently on sale at walmart for the same price, 5x on the low end though and I really think thats going to be too much magnification for a quick up close shot in the dense woods.

Reactions: FuhQ
You can get a Vortex Strike Eagle for a little over your budget if you shop around. Anything in that price range is going to be Chinesium and eventually fail but at least the Vortex is a somewhat decent optic with good features and a great warranty for when you’ll need it.

Reactions: Eric_F
...Then theres that Athlon ares btr gen 2 currently on sale at walmart for the same price, 5x on the low end though and I really think thats going to be too much magnification for a quick up close shot in the dense woods.
They're not offering the BTR 2.5-15x50 on sale? You might want to check just to be sure. I've got the Gen 1 version of that scope and it works great at low power with a 10 yard close focus. The FOV and eye box gets a little tight above about 12 power, but if you're dialing more magnification than that you probably have a bit more time to acquire your target/game anyway. Otherwise, that 4-20x50 XTR II looks like a winner. Hunters have been using the Weaver K4 in the woods for many, many years with lots of success, so 4X on the low end isn't quite the handicap it might seem to be.

Going to look into this. wanted to stay at 3x or under on the low end, but Ive read great things about these. Then theres that Athlon ares btr gen 2 currently on sale at walmart for the same price, 5x on the low end though and I really think thats going to be too much magnification for a quick up close shot in the dense woods.
Yeah, but the Athlon is China vs. the Burris made in the Philippines. For the same money, I'd go for the scope that has a $1,200 MSRP and wasn't made in China. The Philippines Burris scopes are very high quality, I have quite a few of the XTR-II 5-25x50 SCR scopes, and an XTR-III 5.5-30x56 SCR 2. All built in the Philippines, and they're all solid. The quality control compared to China is night and day.

Reactions: JulianD
@Shwa I would stay away from the Strike Eagle or anything Chinesium like that... I've owned one of the 5-25x56 EBR-7C models for a couple years now. It's ok, but it's not a quality scope...And mine isn't even sitting on a rifle anymore because the magnification ring spun farther than it was supposed to, after popping out of track while transporting it. I got home, and noticed it, and when I spun it back to the normal location, you could feel the whole mechanism moving inside of the scope, and it popped back into place. It hasn't caused any problems that I'm aware of, but I also removed it not long after to replace that scope with a Kahles K624i. The Strike Eagle is ok for targets, but I wouldn't go hunting with it. The XTR-II is leaps and bounds above it in every way, including the glass.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
They're not offering the BTR 2.5-15x50 on sale? You might want to check just to be sure. I've got the Gen 1 version of that scope and it works great at low power with a 10 yard close focus. The FOV and eye box gets a little tight above about 12 power, but if you're dialing more magnification than that you probably have a bit more time to acquire your target/game anyway. Otherwise, that 4-20x50 XTR II looks like a winner. Hunters have been using the Weaver K4 in the woods for many, many years with lots of success, so 4X on the low end isn't quite the handicap it might seem to be.
Not on sale unfortunately, going for $800.

Burris XTR II or gen 2 PA SLx..for $100 less plus additional $125 primary arms bonus bucks.

I have some thinking to do.

XTRII. The one above at Natchez is more cool than the 4 I have. Mine are all G2B reticles. No regrets. I bought mine in 2019 for, I think, $500 each.

I wouldn’t buy a Chinese Vortex. I do have an Athlon Helos 2-12 that’s been good so far.

Reactions: FuhQ
Meopta optika 6.

I wouldn't consider anything else in that price range.
This, I have the Optika 6 3-18x50 and it's just exceptional. As sharp, if not sharper, than my Cronus BTR Gen2 which is twice the cost. The Optika is a tad large but it has everything you want. My only recommendation would be to find one with the right reticle. It can be tough. I have the Mrad RD reticle and either that or the Mrad1 RD float my boat. New, you may be able to score a deal but for a $500 limit, you'll have to buy used.

I also have the Athlon 2-12 Gen 2 which is a solid scope but has a big center dot. Perfect for hunting but not for load development.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
This, I have the Optika 6 3-18x50 and it's just exceptional. As sharp, if not sharper, than my Cronus BTR Gen2 which is twice the cost. The Optika is a tad large but it has everything you want. My only recommendation would be to find one with the right reticle. It can be tough. I have the Mrad RD reticle and either that or the Mrad1 RD float my boat. New, you may be able to score a deal but for a $500 limit, you'll have to buy used.

I need to move some optics around and get another and I’m seriously considering one of these since it’s not a hard use rifle at all. Meopta USA is a few minutes from me and I drive past them several times per week which would be convenient in the event repairs or service is needed.

How much have you used yours and how long have you had it?

The S-Tac has a pretty narrow FOV, and has the looking down a toilet paper tube effect. Otherwise they're really nice, but this is why I ended the relationship with mine...

I ran the 4-20×50 XTRII in PRS for four or five years. They are one of the most durable and reliable scopes on the market at any price. Glass is as good or better than anything in that price range. Forever Warranty, made in the Phillipines for about a decade. They have it figured out, any bugs or weaknesses in this system have long since been worked out.

Hard to beat this scope in your price point.

Reactions: Shwa and FuhQ
I ran the 4-20×50 XTRII in PRS for four or five years. They are one of the most durable and reliable scopes on the market at any price. Glass is as good or better than anything in that price range. Forever Warranty, made in the Phillipines for about a decade. They have it figured out, any bugs or weaknesses in this system have long since been worked out.

Hard to beat this scope in your price point.
Gonna have to disagree on the 4-20. I only have experience with one, but the glass is sub-par. The 3-15 I have used, on the other hand was pretty impressive.

Gonna have to disagree on the 4-20. I only have experience with one, but the glass is sub-par. The 3-15 I have used, on the other hand was pretty impressive.
I agree on the glass quality on the 4-20 compared to the 3-15. I have to shoot the 4-20 first if i go shooting otherwise i can't stand looking through it after using any other of my scopes.

I have 2 of the 5-25, a 4-20, two 3-15 (one is an old 8 mil/rev), and the 4-20 is better than any of the others. The 4-20 is even a little better than my Bushnell DMR2.

I have 2 of the 5-25, a 4-20, two 3-15 (one is an old 8 mil/rev), and the 4-20 is better than any of the others. The 4-20 is even a little better than my Bushnell DMR2.

I’d say you got a unicorn then. An XTR2 4-20 is the last Burris I purchased years ago and the glass was pretty unimpressive but not terrible for its price point. It didn’t track and they replaced it and that optic was about the same. I ended up selling the replacement before even mounting it since the first didn’t even make it 200 rounds before having problems.

My experience over and over again has been that Phillipino scopes are garbage. My track record with them is actually worse than chinesium.

Wanna trade?

I had good luck with a handful of 4-20s with the H591 reticle. My shooting partner had several as well.

All the XTRIIs really hit their sweet spot in glass about 4 to 5 years ago. They have steadily improved them since release.

Reactions: Earnhardt and FuhQ
You should be pleased with the Burris, I just picked up one of the 3.3-18 xtr3’s for a 6.5 prc hunting rifle and got it all mounted up and sighted in last week so far so good.

As much as I don't like to buy Chinese, my Athlon Helos G2 2-12 is a badass little scope for the money.
I should have at least bought one last Black Friday sale for $330-$350. Cheapest recent sale was $370 for them. Current sale is $449.99.

I'd much prefer to pay $330 for them.

I just wish they would use better glass in them at least the HD glass used in their Midas HD line and above to make them actually worth spending $450 on.

Illuminated reticle
FFP strongly preferred.
Adjustable parallax.
resettable turrets.
Willing to purchase used

Appreciate any advice!
Avoid buying Riton, 3 of my friends sent theirs in for their no questions asked free brand new hassle free replacement exchange policy under their lifetime warranty and all got them back returned in their same defective broken condition stating nothing wrong. This with 3 different friends returning their different models of Riton scopes on 3 different occasions and time frames. Treat customers this way then let all buyers beware!!! I don't care how cheap they go on sale for. Just don't ever give them the opportunity to screw you over with such shady warranty and poor customer service practices. This goes for certain other brands that are known to screw their customers over come warranty time.

If exceptional image quality and durability with SFP illuminated reticle in a light weight 22 oz scope perfect for hunting with a lifetime warranty is a priority then try the Viridian Antero 3-18x50 at Optics Planet for $315.00 (with easy obtainable 10% off coupon code) with free shipping and free returns within 30 days if you aren't happy with it. It's a very close twin to the $469.00 Vector Continental X6 version. It's totally risk free to try out just short of 30 days with free prepaid returns via their return shipping label they send you.

A buddy bought one and I got a chance to check it out right before his bro literally stole it away from him and disappeared with that scope. Glass was exceptional I'd say very close in comparison to a much more expensive $1294.00 Japan made Tract Toric 4-20x50 with German Schott glass in regards to glass quality. Viridian has been in business for nearly 10 years and has a lifetime warranty on this scope.

Their top of the line Viridian Xactus 5-30x56 FFP illuminated MRAD for around $540 with discount is a better scope than the new Bushnell Match Pro ED and the Xactus has a 3-18x50 version of it as well for around $450 with discount. This one is a 34mm FFP illuminated MRAD reticle and has a zero stop and a pop up rev indicator if it matters to you. Lifetime warranty as well.

The Vector Optics Continental 34mm branded twin version of this Viridian Xactus 3-18x50 sells for $749.00.

Maybe buy both and just plan to return one after comparing them side by side for yourself. The cheaper 3-18x50 SFP Antero is a lot lighter and is much easier to see it's reticle on low 3x magnification if this matters to you and more perfect for hunting in the brush with.

Another notable reference is the $550 5-30x56 34mm Viridian Xactus is the same scope as the Vector Optics Continental 34mm that sells for $899.00 only difference with a better reticle used in the Xactus. Other than that it's got the exact same pop up rev indicator on the turret and shares the rest of the same features as the Continental 34mm.

I wouldn't have recommend buying both of these if they weren't totally risk free buying with free return shipping. Don't forget to get your 10% discount coupon code before buying.

I highly doubt there's any other scopes sold by any other company that can even come close to matching these Antero and Xactus scopes for $315 and $450 including scopes costing double their prices.

Last edited:
The S-Tac has a pretty narrow FOV, and has the looking down a toilet paper tube effect. Otherwise they're really nice, but this is why I ended the relationship with mine...
I have several Sightron S-Tacs and don't like most of their super thin reticles that are nearly impossible to see in real world hunting situations especially the cheaper 3-16x that were on sale for $299. I also have the 2.5-17x that was pretty much shame on me for buying such a ridiculously expensive Filipino made scope at least it has an illuminated reticle. I really prefer the Chinese Athlon Midas Tac, Midas BTR G2 and Ares BTR G2 a lot more with their superior glass and turrets.

OP stated looking for suggestions on a $500 budget.

Even if there was a ZCO on sale for $999 it's still beyond his $500 budget.

I should have at least bought one last Black Friday sale for $330-$350. Cheapest recent sale was $370 for them. Current sale is $449.99.

I'd much prefer to pay $330 for them.

I just wish they would use better glass in them at least the HD glass used in their Midas HD line and above to make them actually worth spending $450 on.

While its always nice to have better glass, the scope is just simply not designed or marketed as a longer range scope and therefore keeping the price lower with less expensive glass fits the niche its in.

I have it on an AR and have used it out to 400yds and I think it performs great for its intended role. I don't assume its my Steiner because it's not. I'm very happy with it. I try not to buy cheaper Chinese stuff, but I wasn't spending $800 on a scope for this role and the Athlon does it perfectly with more features than any other scope in that range, at least when I bought it.

Reactions: Scopeye
There’s nothing wrong with giving someone sound advice to save a little more for an optic instead of buying junk.
Recommending spending double his stated budget isn't considered as "save a little more". It's more like saying spend double your budget to get a better scope.

If it was a $600 suggestion on a $500 budget then save a little more advice would be more considerate.

Not everyone has the money to blow nor have the ability to save more than their budget and are forced to only consider up to $500 maximum spend options.

I need to move some optics around and get another and I’m seriously considering one of these since it’s not a hard use rifle at all. Meopta USA is a few minutes from me and I drive past them several times per week which would be convenient in the event repairs or service is needed.

How much have you used yours and how long have you had it?

You weren’t asking me but I’ll vouch for the guy commenting on his Optika6. I bought one a few years ago 3-18 SFP with the bdc 3 reticle and red dot for an AR10 set up I hunted and shot some LR with. Glass is phenomenal, low light image is extremely good, and tracking was always spot on held and returned to zero every time. Had over a year and probably 2000 rds on it with that set up. I pulled it to put on a 257 Wby to fit a role better. Problem with them imo is reticles are a little odd and I would love for them to have a more low profile turret the height of the SFP version, the FFP is to tall for my liking, but that’s just personal preference.

Probably too late, but another +1 for the Optika6. I have several, mostly 5-30's but a couple 3-18's as well.

I put a 3-18x50 SFP on my crossbow last week, and used it to kill a buck last night.

I actually ended up back ordering a 3-18x50 MRAD based on the feedback in the main Optika 6 thread. Hopefully I’ll have it in the next couple months.
The Meopta Optika 6 5-30x56 FFP illuminated RD MRAD is currently on sale for $699.99 with free shipping at EuroOptic which includes brand new models as well as DEMO models.

I have never seen them sell for this cheap before, ever ...

Even Sportsman's are currently selling them for $849.99 while other places are selling them for $1250+.

B&H Photo has the 3-18x50 MRAD1 on backorder for $699.00 ETA Nov 2023.

Last edited:
As much as I don't like to buy Chinese, my Athlon Helos G2 2-12 is a badass little scope for the money.
The 4-20 is impressive as well. I found one in the PX for $300ish shipped. I have a 6-24 also. Besides Chinesium I don’t have any complaints.

Reactions: Gustav7
The 4-20 is impressive as well. I found one in the PX for $300ish shipped. I have a 6-24 also. Besides Chinesium I don’t have any complaints.
It's a scope thats not worth selling to me because its so feature heavy while not being worth much lol. I'll just continue to use it on an AR or .22. Very cool little scope.

Next couple won't be Chinese but I'm ok with one solid performer lol.