• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic Recommendation for Savage Mark II FV-SR?

Candyman87

Private
Minuteman
May 18, 2020
PRNJ
Hi all-

Since my local range is only 100 yards, it doesn't make sense for me to burn through .308, especially in this ammo market.

Needless to say, I've purchased a Savage Mark II FV-SR as a low-cost rimfire trainer to allow me to work through the fundamentals on a regular basis.

I'm trying to configure it as close to possible to my Savage 10 BA Stealth with Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP with EBR-2C (MRAD reticle) without breaking the bank.

Looking for an optic in the 3-9 or 4-16 range with MRAD reticle and tactical turrets that's as close as possible to my PST without breaking the bank.

Right now I'm leaning heavily towards the Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16x44 FFP with EBR-2C (MRAD).

Looking to see if there's anything closer to my wants in the same relative price range.

Thanks!

Last edited:
There's a bunch of Athlon scopes for sale in the PX right now for a fair price that would work perfectly.

I'd actually suggest the same scope or at least same magnification as your competition rifle. The magnification is nice to have when zeroing and checking your paper from 100 yards away.

If youre shooting only beyond 50 yards, very easy. The vortex stuff should work just fine and hopefully make a workable trainer.

If you need parallax adjustment while still being able to zoom in on small targets for shooting at 25 yards or closer etc it is bit tougher. Some of the swfa stuff does this very well without breaking the bank.

I have an Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24x50 MOA if you're interested. It was mounted up on my CZ457 and it shoots/points well in my range at 100yards.

I have an Athlon Argos BTR Gen 2 6-24x50 MOA if you're interested. It was mounted up on my CZ457 and it shoots/points well in my range at 100yards.
Thanks for the offer. I bought a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 Friday. I just ordered 2 heights of rings and will find which ones work best.

Thanks for the offer. I bought a Vortex Venom 5-25x56 Friday. I just ordered 2 heights of rings and will find which ones work best.
I liked the Athlons
I had 1 inch(low) rings on mine. They were Burris XTR Signature rings.
Thank you. I bought 2 different sizes to find what works best. Vortex 34mm 1" height is one of them, the other was Weaver 34mm highs. The weavers at 1.25" will be to high possibly.

I would choose the diamondback last. For the same range you could get a Athlon gen 2 Argos, a Bushnell Matchpro, Arken SH4. All of them blow the diamondback away
I have heard the Arken SH4 4-16x50 has amazing glass. I have 3 of the SH4 Gen2 6-24x50 VPR MIL scopes, and they're all great, as well. But I have heard the 4-16 has even better glass, and a very forgiving eye box, thanks to the lower magnification range. For $399, I'd try one over the Diamondback any day. And the Arken has a precision tracking guarantee. And the Parallax goes down to 25 yards.

If it's not worth a crap, or something is wrong with it, I know you can definitely get it replaced through them, their customer service is excellent, but I think you also have the option to get a refund, which is highly unusual for an optics company, but I guess since they sell direct, with no retailers, they can do that. Seems like a fairly low-risk chance. 👍🏼