• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic Recommendation for Truck Rifle?

JA1989

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Nov 6, 2019
Planning on rebarreling a Bergara b14 action to 6 creed here soon, and it will mostly be a truck gun for shooting wild hogs, etc on our farm. Looking for a solid scope on this gun that isn’t very expensive. I’m thinking in the 900-1100 dollar range. I normally use Nightforce in the ATACR and NX8 line, but for this rifle’s purpose that would be a little overkill. Weight isn’t an issue for me, my main considerations are tracking reliability and good quality glass. Especially the tracking reliability part. So far I’m looking at either the Vortex Razor HD LHT 3-15x42, or the Vortex Viper gen2 PST 5-25x50. Need a mil reticle in any recommendation. I’m leaning toward the viper considering I can get it from eurooptic on closeout for 650 dollars. However, if the razor line is significantly better or more dependable, I’d spend the extra money for it. Thanks for any help.

I have a DMR II on my .260, no complaints. Just got Strike Eagles for the trainers and I must say I’m very surprised with those, for the .mil pricing I can’t imagine you could beat them and normal MSRP is still a value from what I see so far.

Keep the NF going with an SHV. Fits in that budget

Is it a Ford, Chevy or Dodge?

A PST 2 3-15 would work well, and easily in your budget. Kind of depends on engagement range though.

Reactions: lash
Burris XTRII for tracking. Not the most awesomest turrets compared to the high end stuff, but good enough.

I've got a 3-15 that just won't quit.

Burris XTRII for tracking. Not the most awesomest turrets compared to the high end stuff, but good enough.

I've got a 3-15 that just won't quit.
I’ll second this. Tough as nails scope. The 3-15 is the sweet spot for this optic imho. Personally I avoid the cheaper vortex based on my past experiences with them.

Burris XTRII come up in the px here. Natchez also runs deals fairly often on them

I’ve owned the 4-20 and currently have the 3-15. The 4-20 gets noticeably darker on the high end of magnification. The 5-25 is supposed to be worse yet

Reactions: HiDesertELR
OP I’ve got both of the scopes you’re asking about and I think between the two the PST will suit you better. The glass on the LHT is definitely better but its main feature is the fact that it’s lightweight. I haven’t had any issues with either of mine but I do get the feeling that the PST is built heavier than the LHT. Also, I’ve shot my viper A LOT. The turrets have been up and down and up and down and up and down… you get the idea… and I’ve never had an issue with them tracking or holding zero. Also, I’ve dropped that rifle out of my truck, off the atv, even out of a tree and it’s done great through all that. If your idea of a truck rifle is like mine then you’re gonna want something that‘ll hold up. To me, 5-25 is a little higher power than I’d want on my truck rifle, but I’ve seen good deals on the 3-15 pst as well.

I’ll second the Nightforce SHV recommendation. The 4-14 or the 5-20. They have capped windage knobs.

When you say "truck gun" I'm thinking you need something somewhat compact and able to take quick shots. I'd recommend the 3-10 SHV in that role. Fairly compact with a 3x on the bottom end for getting on target at close range. In the 1K price range, if you need more magnification then I'd step up to the, 4-14 SHV, 3-15 RAZOR LHT, or possibly a Leupold VX5 3-15( IF Leupold has a reticle that will work for you). I have all of these, and 3-10 SHV would fill the bill for me in that scenario. I realize they are all 3x on the bottom end but the 3-10 SHV is much more compact and less likely to get knocked around getting it out of a roof rack. The turrets aren't spectacular and are capped but they seem to have that same NF repeatability. For a truck gun I'd want capped turrets. The LHT has a locking elevation turrett, but it pops up pretty easy and I could see that getting turned by accident All of these seem to have about the same glass to my eyes. The Leupold and Vortex may have a little better glass toward the max end of the range than the 4-14 SHV but I'd trust the NF more if abuse is in the equation.

Athlon, Element & Sightron all offer excellent options. Right now, during our Year End Inventory Reduction Sale it's a great time to pull the trigger.
As a long standing supporting vendor on this forum it would be our pleasure to discuss options and special opportunities with you. Please give us a call, 516-217-1000, if you have a few minutes