• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Selection for a LMT MWS 6.5 Long Range

BigChungus

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
I just recently acquired a LMT MWS 6.5 Long Range with a 20” barrel. I had originally planned on using a Leupold Mk5 3.6-18x but I’m not sure if I’ll need more magnification to fully utilize the 6.5 Creedmoor round and my local club’s range which extends to 1,200 yards.
  • What is the platform for the scope? LMT MWS 6.5 Long Range 20” barrel
  • What cartridge are you shooting? 6.5 Creedmoor
  • What is your intended use for the scope? Mostly target shooting (man sized steel targets)
  • What type of conditions will you typically shoot in? Daylight and night shooting on occasion
  • What are the typical distances you intend to shoot? 400-1,200 yards
  • What is the price range you can afford? ~$1,500 - $3,000.

Last edited:
I think 18x would be enough to hit man size steel at that distance, but more magnification might be nice. Sticking well within budget the Burris xtr III is a great value. If you push a little you could get a zco 527 from Milehigh with the mount sale (3600 for optic + mount), which is arguably the best scope currently available in the category.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigChungus
I think 18x would be enough to hit man size steel at that distance, but more magnification might be nice. Sticking well within budget the Burris xtr III is a great value. If you push a little you could get a zco 527 from Milehigh with the mount sale (3600 for optic + mount), which is arguably the best scope currently available in the category.

Thank you for the heads up on that deal, I’ll check out the ZCO 527.

Last edited:
I'm using a 5-27x zco on my 6.5cm bolt gun and find it pretty ideal. It has a wide and bright field of view so it's not too limiting at shorter ranges and it's nice to be able to zoom in more on further targets. Though in the summer I tend to shoot between 15-20x as mirage gets worse with higher mag.

I have been using the Mk5 w/ FFP H-59. Long end has been 1k which has been doable, but crave more magnification (like a Mk8). Think it's more of a want than a need thought. I'm on same hunt for optic on new 6.5 build but a bit concerned about foreign manufacturers, especially right now (with regard to shipping/service). I spend time in the low magnification range which makes FFP a detriment. Leupold is of course good glass (would love the Mk8 w/ illuminated recticle), good service/warranty, US firm, but stiff price tag. Just throwing out something to think about as you look--see if any service/warranty hangups with a foreign manufacturer.