• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic stuff weight and obj. diameter

chain

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2008
MI USA
I recently sold a NF scope here. I loved the scope. What I didn't like necessarilly was the weight and the obj. diameter. I have Lupie 4.5 X 14 X 40's w/ TMR's on rifles and I like them. I don't think they are the world's greatest scopes but the glass is good and the clicks are repeatable so far. I like the 40 mm obj and the weight of these scopes but I also like the overall size. I hunt with these rifles and the bigger scopes catch hell in a saddle scabbard. What do you guyus think? Do you think NF will ever make a 4 X 14 X 40 if their 32 mm obj came in more magnification I think it would be great. Thoughts/ Thanks

Re: Optic stuff weight and obj. diameter

Durability and quality glass isn't light. Higher magnification and a small objective don't work either.

Take your objective diameter, divide it by your magnification level, and you have your exit pupil size. Anything under 3mm (my opinion) is really going to limit not only the amount of light transferring to your eye, but also reduce the eye box size to the point where you will get scope shadow with the slightest of movement.

It's a give and take with scopes. Heavier weight, higher magnification and larger size vs. lightweight, lower magnification and compactness. Decide what you need the most and you'll know what to sacrifice.

So far the best compromise is the Z5 series Swarovskis. The 3 1/2-18X44 weighs 14 ounces and the 5-25X52 weighs 17 1/2 ounces.

There are better scopes available, but they weigh more.

Have you ever tried the 2.5-10X32? There isn't a whole lot of difference between 10X and 14X. The 10X Nightforce is a heck of a scope. I also have to agree on the Swaro Z5. It is the best compromise for a higher power scope; although you do sacrifice robustness of build for better glass and more magnification.

I sold a Swaro Z5 to get my last Nightforce.

I will probably put the 2.5 X 10 X 32 NF on my next rifle, I am thinking of getting a 280 AI built by a member. If I ever have an issue with the Lupie's I will probably change over to NF.