• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic Suggestion Help

okr4zyo

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2009
North Dakota
Hey, I'm just getting into shooting and I am going to buy a .223 SPS Varmint rifle for mainly coyote hunting and to shoot on the range. Looking for some optics suggestions for around $300. I was looking at the nikon coyote special. Also what would be some decent, not so expensive, base and rings or the scope.

thanks in advance

Re: Optic Suggestion Help

Everyone will walk in here and say use the search function haha So from one newb to another Ill tell ya first.

But for a "Cheap"er scope, I really like Nikons. And they are pretty well liked around here fas far as bang for buck goes. I own a Buckmaster and Monarch and both are superb. Excellent value

I dont know what your idea of "Not so expensive" base and rings are, but I know Warne makes good rings for a decent price.

EGW base and Burris XTR rings are probably the best bang for the buck.

The Nikon Coyote special is a nice scope, however, I'm no big fan of BDC reticles.
I would suggest the Nikon Buckmaster 4-14 with the mil-dot, it's the same scope without the paint job and the kill-flash that way, you have a good piece of glass and can start learning the mil-dot system. It is in the same price bracket, you can always paint the scope (carefully).
Another good choice in the same price range is the Millet TRS-1 or the Mueller Tac-2.

Nearly everything I own has a Tasco 10X42 or 16X42 scope. For 300 bucks, its hard to beat. Rings: Brownells carries TSR steel and aluminum rings for about $50-$75 a pair, much cheaper than the Badger Ordnance equivalents, and rock solid. I am a strong beliver in blowing the extra dough for a Badger base, whether level or with 20 MOA; they're pricey, but it's what holds you're optic to the rifle; don't skimp here. Good Luck!

+1 on the EGW Base. Works like a charm and can even get it in 15 or 20 MOA CANT so choose you
smile.gif

Explore Optics 4-16x50MM TTMD, EGW rail, Warne 213M split rings!!

DK