• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optic suggestions for Waypoint 2020 in .308?

MK19

Just another dork
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2013
SWVA
www.damonedwards.com
So I took the plunge yesterday and picked up a Springfield Waypoint 2020 carbon fibre barrel model in .308 yesterday and I wanted to see about some suggestions for an optic solution. I only have a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 from my old M700 setup and I hoping to get something a bit lighter. I honestly don't know what to look at, as I haven't been into long distance shooting since my days in the Marines. I have looked at the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44, as a friend has it on his 300 with good things to say. My budget is ~$1500 +/- a little and I can get a military discount for optics like NightForce (amazing discount there).

If you want something light weight in that budget I'd be looking at the Razor LHT 4.5-22x50 personally. There's a ton of options in that price range, but most are a similar weight or heavier than that viper.

Most decent FFP 'long distance' scopes are going to be in that 30oz+ range for weight. There are some that are lighter, but I'd say that a scope isn't the best place to save weight. You already have a carbon fiber stock with a carbon sleeved barrel. A few extra ounces in a scope, that is basically at the balance point of the rifle, won't be noticed.

With that said, if you like your PST, you might look at the 4.5-22 Razor LHT, which is 21.7 oz and you can find new for about $1,050. EuroOptic has a demo Leupold Mk5 3.6-18 (26oz) for $1,500. If you can bump up your price, you could look at a used March 3-24x52. If you could bump up your weight goal, you might look at a used 4-16 ATACR or a Burris XTR3 or maybe find a used Bushnell LRTHS/LRTS.

So I took the plunge yesterday and picked up a Springfield Waypoint 2020 carbon fibre barrel model in .308 yesterday and I wanted to see about some suggestions for an optic solution. I only have a Vortex Viper PST 5-25x50 from my old M700 setup and I hoping to get something a bit lighter. I honestly don't know what to look at, as I haven't been into long distance shooting since my days in the Marines. I have looked at the Leupold VX-6HD 3-18x44, as a friend has it on his 300 with good things to say. My budget is ~$1500 +/- a little and I can get a military discount for optics like NightForce (amazing discount there).
If you want a hell of a scope at a hell of a discount... This would be your best bang for your buck...

Get a set of these badass new Zeiss rings, and you'd be set.

In your shoes, I would look at the Leupold Mark 5HD and Burris XTR3. Maybe the Nighforce NX8 if you want three to compare. All have great military discounts and have been on a diet.

I’m in the same boat as you brand new Waypoint all carbon 308 really want the new Razor HD 3 but that weight I’m hesitant. But have been thinking it may balance it out when it comes to shooting it. Let me know how you make out.