• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Optical Center matter?

littlepod

Minuteman
  • Oct 16, 2012
    Kirkland, WA
    instagram.com
    I've primarily been shooting rimfire and in matches we go out to 450 yards or so, so everyone's been getting 40-50moa rails so that we can dial 30mils up. I just picked up another ZCO for my centerfire rig which has a 20moa rail. If I don't add any extra moa with rings, I still have a good 24mils up.

Is there any reason why I would / wouldn't get something like a 20moa Spuhr? I'd then get 27 mils up to dial which I'll never use... and it just puts me further away from the optical center. Curious on people's thoughts.

I bought this ZCO used with a 6601 Spuhr but it's a little low on clearing my NV bridge, so I was looking at either a 6602 or 6002.

Thanks!

I would just leave it with out the extra elevation. Get a 6002 mount and call it good unless you ever plan on dialing past 24mils up. I finally realized I didn't need 30+Mils on a centerfire rig so I just stick with the 20moa base on my AI and the a straight 0MOA mount.

Reactions: littlepod
    I would just leave it with out the extra elevation. Get a 6002 mount and call it good unless you ever plan on dialing past 24mils up. I finally realized I didn't need 30+Mils on a centerfire rig so I just stick with the 20moa base on my AI and the a straight 0MOA mount.

Thanks. Yeh I'm going to look to just trade it for a 6002.

Reactions: Krob95
    My Meopta with a 50moa base loses clarity and physically blackens the image on top at 25yd zero. But at 25yds clarity isn't that important. In my mind, I hit optical center "best scope image" closer to my longer range shots when I need the clarity vs being at the bottom of my adjustments.

Easy test is almost max the elevation and look at something. See if the loss in resolution is acceptable for the distance you are trying to shoot.

Reactions: Gohring65