• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics Binding --> Lapping Rings

AlterEgo

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2008
Gents,

I've got a scope in a set of good quality scope rings, on a good mount. Had some issues at the range today that would suggest that the scope was bound and/or that the mount was in a tweak. Basically the rifle patterned like a shotgun (this rifle doesn't even do that with irons), and had a funny looking group where the shots fell nearly one next to another in a horizontal line with no pulled/flyer shots or scope adjustment. Adjustments acted kinda funny too. Scope is Falcon 5-25x 50 FFP. No ring marks were evident on removal.

I've found a spot where the mount looks like it was rubbing, changed the mount out, and lapping the rings shows that they weren't perfectly straight. I've lapped the rings in as well.

Do you guys think that my problem was primarily related to the scope or mount being bound up?

Re: Optics Binding --> Lapping Rings

Hard to tell, you might have been bending the scope or, being a variable, it could have a problem. Standard advice is to get another scope that you know works, make sure the rings are aligned correctly and try again. Lapping will usually cure misalingment issues but a bad scope will always be bad.

Might also be useful to know what the rifle is etc.

Horizontal stringing is usually due to wind and/or the barrel touching one side of the barrel channel.

If any of your scope adjustment are 'bottomed out' at 100yd, strange things can happen, and the mounts would appear to be unsuited to your particular rifle/scope combination. Experimentation with shims and subsequent glassbedding of the base could be a solution.

Meanwhile, the above advice appears quite sound.

Greg

Sorry guys, the rifle in question is an FAL, so no glass bedding. Free floated heavy barrel and DSA scope mount. Scope adjustments were ~ 5 clicks from centered (by position on turrets and where the turrets were when scope arrived). Again, rifle was shot from bags so in this case, so the two legged accuracy ruiner that was attached to the stock maybe wasn't a factor...

Gonna have another go at this sucker later today, wish me luck...