• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics Choices for my Bergara Ridgeback - Opinions / Suggestions

Doug308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
I would like your opinions and suggestions on choosing a scope for my Bergera Ridgeback, the longest range I have access to is 550 yards. I like MOA and Second Focal Plane, but First Focal Plane is ok too because I use the higher range of magnification.

My picks so far ......

Leupold VX-3i 8.5-25x50mm >> https://www.leupold.com/scopes/rifle-scopes/vx-3i-lrp-8-5-25x50mm-30mm-side-focus-moa-rfp

Vortex Viper PST Gen II 5-25x50 >> https://vortexoptics.com/viper-pst-gen-2-5-25x50.html

Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 >> https://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics...lescopes/conquest-v4/conquest-v4-6-24x50.html

If you have other suggestions please let me know.

Thanks

Might want to consider the Nikon Black fx too. I hear good things about it all of the time. The Athlon Ares BTR and Sig Tango 4 are also decent options

It would be our pleasure to discuss this with you. There are many options for up to 550 yards. I do not see the need for a 25x scope, however, there are great choices from Steiner, Athlon, Leupold, Zeiss, and Leica in your price range.
If you have a few minutes please give us a call, 516-217-1000

Reactions: FLhog
If possible, try to find somewhere local to get behind the Vx3i 8-25 model. I"m normally a Leupold fan but the eyebox seemed way to tight on that scope. Very hard to get behind and use comfortably from any type of field shooting position. I'm sure it would doable if only shot from bench, and you had some flexibility in the mounting. The eye relief seemed to change significantly from low to high power. Replaced it with a Sightron 8-32 S3, which seems like a vastly superior optic for the same $$ or less. The other two options you've selected I'd rate > than vx3i as well. I don't have any direct user experience other than looking thru them, but V4 ZEISS seemed to have superior glass to PST II, to my eyes at least. Also made in Japan vs. Phillipines on the Vortex.

For what you are looking to do and given your price range and that you like SFP scopes, your best option is one of Sightron S3 models. I would probably get one of the 6-24x50 S3 scopes and be done with it.

ILya

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
Ares ETR.... if you’re a mag hog.... and hard to beat for the money.

I did enjoy my Sightron S3 8-32 though....

I'm all over the place with these scopes, I just watched a youtube review of the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 the reviewer is TiborasaurusRex he really liked this scope, its his opinion that its very high quality comparable to scopes costing much more.

Right now this scope is at the top of the list even though it is made in CHINA, any opinions on this Brand and Model ?

Athlon makes a pretty decent scope. That said, the two things most important one a rifle are the scope and trigger; the first and last thing the shooter interfaces with.

Glass that both works good, and feels good is well worth the investment and in my experience will well outlive a rifle.

If you can splurge a bit and are going to primarily work in mid-range distances, a Nightforce SHV F1 is a really nice starting point.

Whatever you do, stick in in quality rings or mount.

The sightron 8-32 is almost impossible to beat for the money.

The good thing about them being relatively unknown is the lower advertising budget translates to lower prices. It also means you can get them cheap used. I just picked up a 6-24 sII big sky for $250, when a new one is $850. Nobody knew what it was, and I was able to scoop it up for a killer deal.

The flip side of that is don't expect to get good money out of a used one.

I've had a 3-12 mil dot on my hunting rifle for 20 years now, and it's still clear and working great. So I don't ever plan on selling any of the ones I own.

I used to have the Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 SFP mounted on my Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor but switched it out with my .300WM B-14 Timber's Vortex Razor HD 5-20x50 FFP because I shoot the 6.5 more often and 6.5 Creedmoor is more economical than .300WM and because my shoulder enjoys the reduced recoil more these days. Depending on which you like more FFP, or SFP I can recommend both. The Vortex Razor HD's Christmas tree reticle is a little more adjustment friendly, both are quality glass, although the Zeiss is a little brighter. In total elevation the Vortex Razor HD beats the Zeiss by over half. The Conquest V4 has 80 MOA available while the Razor HD has 125 MOA, which is also why I have not upgraded to the Razor HD Gen. 2.

Of the three you mentioned I would go with the Zeiss. You got more elevation (100 MOA) than the Leupold (80 MOA) which has more than the Vortex(70 MOA). Unless I mixed my numbers up from their sites to here. I think Zeiss has better glass quality. And maybe better build quality. I have handled the Zeiss but never owned one. My second pick would be the Leupold. While my scopes are all more spendee, that Leupie caught my eye and think it has good value for the buck. I've only handled it in the store and liked it. The Viper is Vortex's lower line-up wth the Razor being their top, though I have read nothing negative about the Viper PSTs. I own a Razor. All three priced in same range. I can see why you are asking. Good luck. At your stated use, anyone of the three will make the grade for ya.

Of the three you mentioned I would go with the Zeiss. You got more elevation (100 MOA) than the Leupold (80 MOA) which has more than the Vortex(70 MOA). Unless I mixed my numbers up from their sites to here. I think Zeiss has better glass quality. And maybe better build quality. I have handled the Zeiss but never owned one. My second pick would be the Leupold. While my scopes are all more spendee, that Leupie caught my eye and think it has good value for the buck. I've only handled it in the store and liked it. The Viper is Vortex's lower line-up wth the Razor being their top, though I have read nothing negative about the Viper PSTs. I own a Razor. All three priced in same range. I can see why you are asking. Good luck. At your stated use, anyone of the three will make the grade for ya.
The Zeiss Conquest V4 6-25x50 has 80 MOA not 100 MOA.. I actually own one, and the glass quality is better but on the build quality I prefer the Vortex Razor HD especially because the positioning of the throw lever is not restricted to just one position that is in the way for the bolt throw at minimum magnification, also the FFP is much preferable. All scopes the OP posted are great choices but if I had to choose in his position I'd go with the Viper, or if he can get one the Razor HD 5-20x50 instead.

Hi Sonic, I too own the same Razor as you and really like it. Different scope entirely than the three OP speaks of and asks about. I mentioned I might have gotten the MOAs fo the scopes mixed up between time looking them up and posting here. :) OP mentioned he was wanting SFP scope and the three he mentions are. I think for his goals all three are great choices, too. In my comments, I stuck to the three he asked about.

Op does also mention that 1st focal plane is an option and budget can stretch to $1100.

That really does bring the ETR into play. It may seem like overkill for 550yds but it has a great reputation and for the money seems very tough to beat and if the opportunity to shoot further arises then 30x is useful.

I suggest having a play with the mentioned scopes if possible... otherwise there are some pretty decent YouTube videos on all of the above.

Reactions: SonicBurlap
I'm all over the place with these scopes, I just watched a youtube review of the Athlon Ares ETR 4.5-30x56 the reviewer is TiborasaurusRex he really liked this scope, its his opinion that its very high quality comparable to scopes costing much more.

Right now this scope is at the top of the list even though it is made in CHINA, any opinions on this Brand and Model ?
I would get the Cronus btr over the ETR, it’s not much more $$ & it’s made in Japan by LOW. Others to consider are bushnell lrts can be had around $1200, or bushnell dmr pro has come down to around $1400 on several optics sites, also leupold mk5hd 5-25 or 7-35, & the razor. These scopes are tough, reliable, & worth the $$ over the cheaper scopes especially if you are shooting a lot. The cheaper scopes have their place too, I bought some for family who don’t shoot a lot & they work great

I got the ETR recently, and the glass was very nice. Better than the PST II, and better than the Burris XTR II. Unfortunately mine had a defect in it, where there was some sort of smudge / artifact that was visible > 20x. It was super feint, but I could notice it. Overall clarity though was really good.

I submitted an Athlon warranty, got a next day USPS drop off slip and sent it over to them. They inspected it and sent me a a tracking number for a new one. It should be here on Tuesday. Overall turnaround 1 week.

I did consider the Cronus BTR... but it was still $1000 vs $1300, 30% more, and decided to only spend 1K for the Ares ETR.

I bought an ETR for a nephew & the elevation turret broke free from the glue so we returned it & got the Cronus BTR since he shoots a lot & competes. He had the ETR for a month & now likes the BTR much better. I’m getting a BTR for my niece to replace the Nikon fx we just sold. In most cases I think the Cronus btr is worth the extra $$ over the ETR, LOW makes great scopes for the $$ & not supporting China when a better alternative is there

Reactions: lou400a
Ive got a PST Gen2 and rate it very highly.

I like Leupold scopes especially the VX5hd/Vx6hd lines, but am not a fan on the VX3/MK4s. The small FOV and feeling of tunnel vision is not something I'm fond of, not to mention the 3x magnification range.

Ive not used any Athlon scopes, but the current deals on the Ares BTR is very compelling and probably worth giving a shot based on all the good reviews.

Ive got a PST Gen2 and rate it very highly.

I like Leupold scopes especially the VX5hd/Vx6hd lines, but am not a fan on the VX3/MK4s. The small FOV and feeling of tunnel vision is not something I'm fond of, not to mention the 3x magnification range.

Ive not used any Athlon scopes, but the current deals on the Ares BTR is very compelling and probably worth giving a shot based on all the good reviews.
The ares btr have been selling at my uncles shop for around $550 & the Midas tac is close to that price also, both good scopes. Another one to consider is the bushnell nitro ffp 6-24x50, it has Japanese glass but is made in Korea, which seems unusual, most cheaper scopes are from China or Philippines. The customer who bought the nitro says it might be a little better than his Midas tac. You might be able to get a used pst2 around these prices but if your looking for something new check out the Midas tac or bushnell nitro