• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics comprable to the Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x40

chopper duke

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2012
Georgia
I'm looking for a scope comparable to the Leupold VX•R Patrol 3-9x40mm in the $500 range. The Leupold offers a lot of the features I'm looking for but I'm wondering if I'm over looking something else and want to be very thorough.

Rifle caliber is .308 and most shooting will be done at 100 yards with the occasional longer shooting. No hunting, mostly paper and some steel. I would like to know that if I happen to go to a range with longer distances available, that'll I'll still be able to reach out far enough.

I haven't done a direct comparison myself, but a few guys have and have said the SWFA SS 3-9x is maybe slightly better glass, but very close. The Viper PST 2.5-10x44 is close also, but probably behind both of them in clarity. I like the reticle, illumination, and warranty of the PST best; size and weight of the Leupy; and FFP, robustness, and glass of the SS. Together they're the perfect scope. :cool:

i have or have had all listed. the leupold has the best profile, but the glass lacks, and the reticle is not a traditional TMR, and it BLOWS. it looks like my 3 year old drew it. the SS 3-9 has the best glass, and FFP. the Vortex is right behind the SS in glass, has illumination, and by far the best warranty and customer service. of the 3, the only one's i'd spend my $$ on is the SS and Vortex, with the exdge going to the Vortex because i prefer SFP, and illumination.

I looked hard at both the Vortex and the SWFA but both are about $100 more than I'm wanting to spend.

I REALLY like the firedot in the Leupold Patrol. However, the push button control is terrible. They need to go back to a twist knob for illum control, and not on the ocular housing, either. Also, the reticles that I have seen are terrible. Guys are not kidding when they say they look like a kid drew them with crayons. Overall, Leup Patrol is a fail, even at the mil price that I can buy them for. Shame, because the firedot really is nice.

Last edited:
I looked hard at both the Vortex and the SWFA but both are about $100 more than I'm wanting to spend.

If you're on a tight budget, I think the Weaver GS tactical 3-10x fits in pretty well optically with these mentioned, only less features. If SFP, non-illum, and 1" tube with a little less travel would work for you, it's hard to top it, IMO. Also, I've found the Mark ar mod1 Leupy 3-9x with regular mildot reticle to my liking more than the VXR.

the patrol, PST, and SS all retail for 600. unless you can get a crazy good deal on the leupold (it's not worth $600 imo) go with one of the others. or the weaver GS like crosshair said. it's a good scope for 300.

i will concede that i like the firedot on the luppy, but the motion shut off didn't work on the one i had. and the dot was off center.

I recently got one of these used from a member on here for 500:

Sightron SIII Tactical Rifle Scope 30mm Tube 3.5-10x 44mm 1/10 MIL

I have also had the VXR Patrol and Super Sniper 3-9 and so far I would say that I like the Sightron more than either of them.

Another good one is the bushnell 3-12 tactical FFP model, if you look around you should find them used for 550-600. I had one with their G2 reticule, sold it because I had nothing to put it on and I regret it. Great scope and reticule for a 308 bolt action.

If you can't spend at least that much money the weaver 3-10 grand slam is a great option.

I REALLY like the firedot in the Leupold Patrol. However, the push button control is terrible. They need to go back to a twist knob for illum control, and not on the ocular housing, either. Also, the reticles that I have seen are terrible. Guys are not kidding when they say they look like a kid drew them with crayons. Overall, Leup Patrol is a fail, even at the mil price that I can buy them for. Shame, because the firedot really is nice.

The reason the reticule looks like a kid drew it with a magic marker is because it has to be thick to hold the wire for the 'firedot'. But yes that ruined the scope for me as well if it were a regular thickness reticule with regular illumination (AKA with a bulb, whole reticule lights up) I would have probably kept mine.

I see your point on the thick reticle being needed to hold the wire for the firedot. Actually, I prefer thick reticles. When I read guys complained that the reticle was too thick, that made me want to try it. The reticle lines in the scopes I saw were not even uniform. The line thickness varied around the reticle, and some reticle lines were not even straight.

Last edited:
What about the Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44? And I qualify for the Fed/Mil program from Leuopold

Last edited:
Just an FYI to those above, but the Viper PST does also come in 2.5-10x32 and is FFP, not SFP. The glass IMO is also clearer than the Leupold in a side-by-side I did outside to 1K.

Just an FYI to those above, but the Viper PST does also come in 2.5-10x32 and is FFP, not SFP. The glass IMO is also clearer than the Leupold in a side-by-side I did outside to 1K.

I would look at the HS LR model with the XLR reticle if you're going to go that route.

I can't find anywhere that the 2.5-10 PST is FFP. I like that optic a lot, but it is a little over my budget. Also, the XLR reticle adds quite a bit to the price tag.

I greatly appreciate all of the input so far!!

I can't find anywhere that the 2.5-10 PST is FFP. I like that optic a lot, but it is a little over my budget. Also, the XLR reticle adds quite a bit to the price tag.

I greatly appreciate all of the input so far!!

The FFP model is out of your range, but I was more or less pointing out to everyone that said it doesn't come in FFP that it does.

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 2.5-10x32 FFP EBR-1 MRAD

Ohhh... Okay.

So, is the PST line really worth the extra $$$. The Viper HS 2.5-10x44 is $390 while the same variable range in PST is $600. I also like the Viper HS LR in 4-16x44 and it's even less than the PST 2.5-10.

so the leupold is about $150 cheaper, then i'd look for a used SS or Vortex. the leupold reticle sucks that much. i think the vortex has the best reticle of the 3. a used SS is 500 on samplelist.

and vortex offers a mil discount too.

email them from your .mil address to get pricing.

Ohhh... Okay.

So, is the PST line really worth the extra $$$. The Viper HS 2.5-10x44 is $390 while the same variable range in PST is $600. I also like the Viper HS LR in 4-16x44 and it's even less than the PST 2.5-10.

Frankly most people don't need illumination so it's often a cost that's incurred for no reason. I'm not a fan of capped turrets myself which is one drawback to the HS line. It does however come with the XLR reticle which is nice.

so the leupold is about $150 cheaper, then i'd look for a used SS or Vortex. the leupold reticle sucks that much. i think the vortex has the best reticle of the 3. a used SS is 500 on samplelist.

and vortex offers a mil discount too.

email them from your .mil address to get pricing.

I did not know this. I will do that for sure.

Frankly most people don't need illumination so it's often a cost that's incurred for no reason. I'm not a fan of capped turrets myself which is one drawback to the HS line. It does however come with the XLR reticle which is nice.

If I can get the discount as mentioned above, it certainly opens up options.

only reason i like illum, is pig hunting. other than that, i don't use it. but with the vortex, you kinda get the illum for free.

If you can find a used one, the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 from Midway is a good choice; I have two and like them a lot for the $425 I paid for them.

If you can find a used one, the Vortex Viper HS 5-15x44 from Midway is a good choice; I have two and like them a lot for the $425 I paid for them.

I have one as well. They're a great deal for the money.

if you dont need illumination certainly check out the weaver 3x10x40 tactical that miday sells . it is a sfp but has mil/mil resettable turrets , the glass is pretty good and I had mine mounted on a 458 socom lobbing 325 grain bullets out to 300 yds . I know it dont seem like much but I was dialing in come ups of 44 inches then back down to 12 inches at 200 and zero at 100 then back up and down again . it now rest on my rock river 308. unless you are wanting to get out in the neighbor hood of 800-1000 yds this scope is hard to beat for 299.00
as a side note the 40 mm sun shade from nikon will work just fine with this scope.

I see your point on the thick reticle being needed to hold the wire for the firedot. Actually, I prefer thick reticles. When I read guys complained that the reticle was too thick, that made me want to try it. The reticle lines in the scopes I saw were not even uniform. The line thickness varied around the reticle, and some reticle lines were not even straight.

Ordered a VX-R from Cabela's about a year ago. Found the reticle had the BDC lines about twice as thick on the left side as on the right, and they also were uneven and looked crayon-drawn. Returned it. Not sure why they can't do a reticle with straight lines and square corners.