• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics for a 6.5 Grendel AR

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    Hey guys...
    My son just built a 6.5 Grendel AR...
    I have a 1-4x with one mil dot and illuminated horseshoe reticle he wants to put on it, but I don't think it will be a good fit for that rifle, long term.

He sez he just wants to bang shorter ranges with it, but I know that sooner or later he's going to want to stretch it's legs. After all, why the hell did he pick that caliber if he didn't want to go long (we're not hunters)...

I feel the rifle deserves a dedicated high power optic, as well as short range capability.
    I was thinking about a fixed 10x SS, and a mini red dot, either on a 45 picatinny mount, or over top of the scope.

Suggestions on what to use, and how to set her up? What would you put on it?

Re: Optics for a 6.5 Grendel AR

That round deserves a higher mag optic to really stretch its legs. I'd want something variable w at least 10x on the high end. The USO SN-3 1.8-10 fits the bill nicely for CQB work and the long stuff that that round is certainly capable of.

Fixed 10 at a 100 yards is like looking at the world through a straw. A good 3-12 would let you shoot close with a good F.O.V. and still allow the round to stretch it's leg with a good sight picture.

I just got a JP SCR-11 6.5 grendel and put a US Optics 3.2-17 TPAL and a jpoint 4 MOA red dot on the handguard and couldn't be happier with this setup. The scope is extremely accurate from 100-1000 yards and the red dot takes care of everything under 100 yards. I would definitely suggest a scope with more magnification because it is a blast to shoot at long range metal targets. US Optics does have a 10x but I love the 3.2-17 variable power. It is an expensive setup but it is well worth the money and i would not change a thing.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/pbosko/IMG_7834.jpg

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/pbosko/IMG_7829.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pbosko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a JP SCR-11 6.5 grendel and put a US Optics 3.2-17 TPAL and a jpoint 4 MOA red dot on the handguard and couldn't be happier with this setup. The scope is extremely accurate from 100-1000 yards and the red dot takes care of everything under 100 yards. I would definitely suggest a scope with more magnification because it is a blast to shoot at long range metal targets. US Optics does have a 10x but I love the 3.2-17 variable power. It is an expensive setup but it is well worth the money and i would not change a thing.

IMG_7834.jpg

IMG_7829.jpg
    </div></div>Nice looking range rig and I posted the pics for you too.

That's a pretty slick set-up pbosko, very nice. How's that JP red dot working-out so far? I need a similar solution and I'm not wanting to drop $400 on a Doc Optic. Also, who's scope mount is that?

Thanks,

-Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pbosko</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just got a JP SCR-11 6.5 grendel and put a US Optics 3.2-17 TPAL and a jpoint 4 MOA red dot on the handguard and couldn't be happier with this setup. The scope is extremely accurate from 100-1000 yards and the red dot takes care of everything under 100 yards. I would definitely suggest a scope with more magnification because it is a blast to shoot at long range metal targets. US Optics does have a 10x but I love the 3.2-17 variable power. It is an expensive setup but it is well worth the money and i would not change a thing.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/pbosko/IMG_7829.jpg </div></div>

Dad,

Do what Novo and pbosko said. But in the meantime let 'em try your Trijicon. Zeroing takes all of 15 minutes.

Oh....don't be a tightwad.
    You have a Trijicon and you wanna get him an SS? ;(

I'd put a fixed 10X USO.
    Indicentally, Grendel isn't really a long range rifle depending naturally on how one defines long range. Long range to me is 800+. My experience with Grendel is 600 is it
    Farther distances in an AR15 require, simply in my experience, a RAT, BRX, etc. 2900fps seems to be magic for AR15 and long range. Actually, a 7 twist 223 and 80 Bergers probably beat Grendel.

Anyway, get off the lavendar and buy the boy a good scope.

The scope mount is made by JP, its their 30mm one piece flat top mount. As for the red dot, I haven't had a chance to try it out yet but will be getting more ammo to sight it in. I used a 2" rail on the handguard and with the normal mount it sat about 1/2" low with the high position of my magpul PRS cheek piece. Then I got the jp ar-15 flat top mount and it sits at the perfect height

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: He_Shoot _Me</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's a pretty slick set-up pbosko, very nice. How's that JP red dot working-out so far? I need a similar solution and I'm not wanting to drop $400 on a Doc Optic. Also, who's scope mount is that?

Thanks,

-Pat

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff434/pbosko/IMG_7829.jpg </div></div></div></div>

I've had a ton of scopes on my 6.5, but I'd have to say my favorite so far (especially when price is considered as a factor) is the SS 5-20 HD:

PICT0217b.JPG

It's excellent for stretching the Grendel's legs, I shoot mine out to 1100 yds quite often. It has a nice big FOV at 5X as well so unless he's doing CQB-type drills nothing lower powered is needed.

"Indicentally, Grendel isn't really a long range rifle depending naturally on how one defines long range. Long range to me is 800+. My experience with Grendel is 600 is it"

Lapua 123 gr Scenar (24") .547

DIST VELOCITY ENERGY

0 2620 1875
    300 2156 1270
    500 1875 961
    600 1744 831
    900 1397 533
    1000 1300 462

And stll cookin at 1200...

The best scope I've seen for the money is the Bushnell 3-12x44,mil/mil FFP,side focus to 10y,illume.The only weakness I've experienced with it is the eyebox is a little unforgiving.I've seem em used here on the Hide with asking price between $550-$700.

That's software, i.e.; in a vacuum. Introduce the world of atmospheric variables and those numbers will get garbled as they will with each cartridge but not so much as a long range one such at 6.5x284, et al.

I'm hearing good things on Bushnell.

Wannashootit, not the best picture in the world, but you get the picture. NF 2.5-10x24, nice compact scope for this 18 inch mid-lenght upper in 264LBC. Thought long and hard about what I wanted to put on this rifle and I thought this was a pretty good compromise. Perhaps if the barrel was 24 inches, I would have used something different, but with the size of the rifle I wanted something that could give me a variety of options in different shooting scenarios if needed.
    IMG_0776.jpg

I'm with you on the USO, but I'd recommend 1.8-10

As for the 223/6.5G, your cartridge comparison is way off. There's no way a mag fed 223 can touch a mag fed 6.5G If you're loading long, then yeah, but most dont want an AR platform for a single shot experience.