• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics for a Stoner SR-25

Andybull

Minuteman
Sep 17, 2006
South Carolina
I just purchased this rifle (minus the scope and rings) from a Hide member, I just ordered a Magpul PRS-AR10 stock. I must admit I do more lurking on this site than shooting, so I'm always game for advice. I will probably do target shooting on my property more so than anything else, my brain tells me to get a 5-25x56 model w/ Gen II XR reticle Premier scope, because I like plenty of magnification, my common sense tells me that this scope is too big for this rig.

As you can see from the pictures the rifle is equiped with open sights and I'm thinking of using a LaRue 1-piece scope mount in case I want to use the open sights.

Suggestions and model #'s are most welcome.

SR-25left.jpg

SR-25.jpg

SR-25right.jpg

SR-25rightside2.jpg

SR-25RearSight.jpg

SR-25FrontSight.jpg

Re: Optics for a Stoner SR-25

There is another post going where the owner of a 5-25x56mm is commenting on the size of the scope. As an owner of one, it is a MONSTER! I intend on down-sizing to a 4-16x S&B. As I have said before, I rarely use anything beyond 18x. As some of the more experience chaps have told me, the 5-25x is overkill for a .308 bolt gun, not to mention a SR-25.

If I were you, I would consider either the S&B with the 3-12x or 4-16x, or possibly fixed 10x even. Or go the NF route with something like this to get high magnification in reasonable size:
http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_OVERVIEW/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56/5_5-22x50___5_5-22x56.html

your gonna love the PRS stock . i switch between a 5.5ACOG and a USO 3.2 x 17 canadian. i have a s&b telescope also its nice but large.

Not sure what other precision rifles you have. I've got a GAP built AR10 that I'll be putting a Premier 3-15x50 on with Gen II reticle. I will use the AR10 for quick targets, not pin point precision so I wanted the smaller scope with the thicker reticle so it's quick to pickup.

My 2 cents.
J

The 3-12x or 4-16x would make for a very ideal package. I have even seen a S&B Short Dot on an SR25, very nice set-up. I only have a Mk4 on my SR15 right now but am ordering a USO on Tuesday (Go USO).

The EREK elevation knob is the way to go.

Remember to look at all scope mounting options. I highly suggest looking into the single piece 34mm mount offered from Knight's. Nothing wrong with LaRue but when going to the extreme & quality of the SR25 then it makes sense to compliment the rifle with their mount. They aren't cheap but then again nothing that Knight's puts out is cheap either. I have one on my SR15 and wouldn't buy anything else.

Thanks guys:

I'm going to be looking in the Optics For Sale section here on the Hide for a few days to see if one of these pop up at a decent price. I sure would like to hear from actual owners of these:

Premier Heritage 3-15x50 Tactical Scope with Gen 2 Mil Dot.

Schmidt & Bender 4x16 x 50mm PMII with illuminated P4 ranging reticle. Double turn knob.

Nightforce NXS NXS150F1MR-MLR

I know you said you like alot of magnification, but I really like the size and weight/performance ratio of the Nightforce NXS 2.5-10x32mm and you can also get it in the mil/mil setup if that is what you are looking for.

just another possibility to consider

heres some pics of one mounted on my rifle with a bobro.net mount for an idea

I just finished another ar-10 and i stuck one of the new NF F1's on it, works like a champ. Its not to big, just right.. Any of those you listed will be prefect for that gun

Be aware of the scope mount location. The Stoner SR25 has the bolt on shell deflector that can get in the way of scope rings or mounts.
In your picture, the S&B scope is all the way forward in the rings. For me that would be too far back. My Leupold 6.5x20 on my Stoner SR25 is even with the back of the charging handle and I would like it farther forward (I like the scope farther forward than most, I think). I would have to move the rear ring in front of the shell deflector (or remove the shell deflector) to do this and then the rings would be getting a little close together. The Bobro mount on the AR15 in another picture in this thread is mounted across where the shell deflector would be located on the Stoner.
Just something to think about when buying your scope mount or rings.

By the way, how was the test target on your new rifle?

Good luck.

Thanks for all of the good advice gentlemen, please keep it coming.

Long Range:

I'm a lefty so the deflector has to stay. As far as a test target is concerned, the rifle is used and the test target seems to be long gone. I'm leaning towards the Premier 3-15x50 scope, all I have to do is to find one at a good price.

Andy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Andybull</div><div class="ubbcode-body">nstueve:

I could not find that scope mount on bobro.net. BTW, nice ar.</div></div>

I actually got the bobro mount from rainierarms.com. It is not listed on their site either yet.

Thats crazy how the deflector is mounted. The way the bobro mount is offset, and your a lefty you could flip the bobro mount around, then mount it on the other side of the deflector mounts and have the quick detach latch on the deflector side. If that makes any sense. I could try it out on my gun and get you a pic just to get an idea.

Thanks for the compliment, now if the weather would just cooperate so I can go use it.

I think you can't go wrong with the Premier.

That scope combined with the Knight one piece mount would perfect for a SR-25.

MOA/MOA FFP in a 3-17 SN3 US Optics with Badger 22MOA base and rings. At least my preference.

IMG_1189.jpg

I have a GAP AR-10(T).

First thing I did was get rid of the Magpul stock. Too damn heavy.

Next thing was to sell the Badger riser and mill away about 8 slots on the Badger Ord handguard. I use a Leupold 4.5-14x 50mm TMR because it is light, and compact. The scope in TPS Med Rings sits at perfect cheekweld position once the pic slots on the handguard were milled flat. There is enough room for a 2" sunshade with Butler Creek flip up.

I would lose the rear buis in your pic. Maybe carry it in your kit, with a front sight?

I like the Leupold #60000 for its clarity, lightweight and compact size. It is perfect for the AR-10. Also has 100 minutes of turret elevation without need of a canted base.

My rifle, as originally outfitted, weighed in at about 17lbs with a 20rd magazine fully loaded, w/sling. Now it is closer to 14lbs. There is no way to get an AR-10 under 10lbs, but I for the accuracy and 20rd repeater capability around 13.5 - 14 pounds is about ideal for a carry weapon. Might also think about having your barrel trimmed back to 20" or 22" for all-around convenience. Not like you gain any velocity with that gas hole bleeding away your pressure long before your bullet exits...

Does anyone know where I can buy me a KAC shell deflector for my SR25?