• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics for Rem 700 sps tactical .308

Swan

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2009
San Diego, CA
Narrowed it down to two choices, I think:

1) Millett TRS, 4-16x50 $280 swfa
2) Mueller 4-16x50 Tactical $220 swfa

Any opinions? Also which rings, mounts, etc? New to this so any info is greatly appreciated.

Mostly target plinking, with the goal to go out to 1000 yds.

Re: Optics for Rem 700 sps tactical .308

Read good reviews on the Millett, they're owned by Bushnell I think. I had one on order at the local shop and got tired of waiting, cancelled the order and upgraded to a USO.

Not too long ago I was looking for a quality setup on a budget. The recommendations were:

700 SPS Tactical
EGW 20 MOA base
Burris XTR rings

Scope is always the tough part, I haven't looked into the ones you posted, but research pointed to:
Bushnell 3200 10x tactical
Falcon Menace 4-14 FFP
Super Sniper 10x

I went with the Menace, but it's about $100 over your budget.

upgraded from a millet to USO. LOL thats a totally different planet. Good for you though.

i would go with the elite 3200 tactical or the falcon. Glass inbetween the falcon and the elite is about the same. which is 100 times better than the cheaper millet. Just my .02 cents. I had a millet and upgraded to the falcon with mil/mil super easy and really what you pay for it is awesome. If you can hold out till may the new falcons will be out and they have a 5-25 first focal plane coming out.

I just went through the same process with my SPS Tact. I started out with a EGW 20moa base, Burris Tact low rings, and a Bushnell Elite 3200 5-15x40. I was real happy with the way it performed and looked quite honestly. The way the price jumped on the Bushnell a few weeks ago I figured it was a good time to go ahead and sell it and upgrade. I just installed last night a Leupold Mark 4 in Seekins rings. Have yet to shoot it with that setup, waiting for my bolt to come back from AZ Precision (he did call about 3 minutes ago to tell me it was done and on its way back)

snipermatch09-02668.jpg

If I were on a budget I'd go with something Japanese, like a Nikon. Personally, though, I've standardized on the USO SN3-2200.

Hello

Millett now has Mil clicks for adjustments. .1 mil per click. On the TRS and LRS scopes

thanks

Steve
Millett/Bushnell

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello

Millett now has Mil clicks for adjustments. .1 mil per click. On the TRS and LRS scopes

thanks

Steve
Millett/Bushnell </div></div>

Are these available yet? I've been trying to find a LRS but everyone is out of stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heavy barrel</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: millett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hello

thanks

Steve
Millett/Bushnell </div></div>

Are these available yet? I've been trying to find a LRS but everyone is out of stock.</div></div>

Word.

I'm want to try the TRS in mil if for no other reason than the educational experience. That and the great glass.

Yea I want to know more about the new millets to! I need some glass on my red Ryder b.b. Gun.

Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40. I have tried almost all of the above mentioned and for the money you will not find a clearer more repeatable scope. I have one I bought a couple weeks ago I might make you a great deal on. I am going to upgrade to a longer distance scope for my new .308 I will do $260 shipped. Let me know.

If you are on a budget, I carry Osprey scopes, and I would put those up to any scope in the $300 range, and the Osprey scopes are cheaper priced. $175-$225 I think...

The Osprey scopes have the reticle etched in the glass for durability. They are nitrogen filled, so they are fogproof, shockproof, and waterproof. They come with a unconditional lifetime warranty. They use Hoya glass from Japan, and they are illuminated.

I would recommend the 4-16x50mm or the 6-24x50mm in either the Mil-Dot or Rangefinding reticle. These scopes are also all 30mm main tubes. I would recommend a new set of scope rings and flip up caps. The ones that come with the scope are okay, but for a few more bucks you can get something a step up and still be under your $300 budget.

A Nikon is no doubt the way to go with this budget.

Hello

we are shipping LRS and TRS every week just about. We have 400 TRS coming in this week coming up. Sorry to say we are selling more then we can make. Best is to pay a deposit at your dealers or keep checking on the web suppliers like Midway.

We will keep making more as long as we can make them good. All Millett scopes are computer tested before shipping here in the states. All computer testing is done here in the states.

Look on our web site for info on the new models.

Good shooting

Steve
Millett/Bushnell

+1 on Millett TRS for a budget tactical scope, I liked what I saw at SHOT and Millett's manufacturing/testing process weeds out nearly all of the problem scopes before they even get a chance to leave for the dealer. Plus the guys behind the Millett tactical lineup really care about the best quality optic at the lower end price point.

BTW, I can get these through a distributor but seeing the price posted on swfa and others here there is no way I can sell them so I'm not making money on this recommendation. Just my .02, I'd take it over the Mueller or others mentioned. Steve is HERE on the Hide...you have a resource to lean on and a product with a defect rate lower than many scopes costing much more...

Scott