• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics for SAI M1A Scout 50-300 yards

Blk04SR

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2009
SoCal
Well I have narrowed down my mount to a smith and am going to remove the forward mount. I am in between a rock and a hard place on figuring out what optic I want.

I have a budget of $1k with mount, optic, and rings/ring.

I want a ACOG but cant spend the money in it. I was thinking a Aimpoint and or a tradition scope. I plan this to be my 50-300 yard rifle, maybe even some three gun stuff...

Which Aimpoint will fit the bill?

Thanks

Re: Optics for SAI M1A Scout 50-300 yards

I placed a Swarvoski 3-9x36 on my carbine and love it. Small dimensionally and at no more that 300 yards the exposed turrents are not really needed.

I have a shooting partner he has had a Scout M1A for 4 years now. Now a sub MOA Gun but really fun to shoot.

He has the Smith Mount which in my opinion is the best. I think he runs a typical like Zeiss Conquest but is pretty unhappy with it. I also had an Aimpoint I liked it but if you want to shoot paper or groups it is not the way to go. I hunt with mine so glass quality took prioirty over mil reticle, exposed turrents or zero stop. Glass is great and I think they are still on sale for $750 bucks...

Good Luck,

Yes I have been looking at 1-4x24 scopes and Aimpoints, etc. I want to buy a NF for my bolt gun and go on a budget on the M1A.

My mind is made up on the mount which is going to be a Smith. If I decide to get a ACOG it will work very nice.

At this point though I dont know anyone with a 1x4-24 or an Aimpont to decide.

I dont know the M1A Scout is a nice fit for what I want to do with it but I am not to sure what optic will be better for me...I kinda wanna stick with when I bring the muzzle to have both eyes open and have a range of 50-300 yards with the optic....hmmm so much thinking and good info here...

don't know about the aimpoint but for sale in the optics section is an eotech with 4x mag for $850 was set up on a m1a scout....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I have been looking at 1-4x24 scopes and Aimpoints, etc. I want to buy a NF for my bolt gun and go on a budget on the M1A.

My mind is made up on the mount which is going to be a Smith. If I decide to get a ACOG it will work very nice.

I dont know the M1A Scout is a nice fit for what I want to do with it but I am not to sure what optic will be better for me...I kinda wanna stick with when I bring the muzzle to have both eyes open and have a range of 50-300 yards with the optic....hmmm so much thinking and good info here... </div></div>

There is a reason so many optics companies are spending money to R&D the lower magnification optics and bring them to market. They are much more versatile than red dots and fixed power ACOGs. It is evolution in optics. You can use them with both eyes open at 1X and have more precision at longer range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Prairie Dog Dundee</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes I have been looking at 1-4x24 scopes and Aimpoints, etc. I want to buy a NF for my bolt gun and go on a budget on the M1A.

I dont know the M1A Scout is a nice fit for what I want to do with it but I am not to sure what optic will be better for me...I kinda wanna stick with when I bring the muzzle to have both eyes open and have a range of 50-300 yards with the optic....hmmm so much thinking and good info here... </div></div>

There is a reason so many optics companies are spending money to R&D the lower magnification optics and bring them to market. They are much more versatile than red dots and fixed power ACOGs. It is evolution in optics. You can use them with both eyes open at 1X and have more precision at longer range. </div></div>

Alright cool I am now looking into a 1x4-24 I want to be able to go pig hunting with my Scout now. So I have to get her ready by the end of the year. I gotta figure which scope will fit the bill.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mind is made up on the mount which is going to be a Smith. If I decide to get a ACOG it will work very nice.

</div></div>

1-4 if going to 300, Aimpoint if hunting. I hope you have a really big head or a leather pillow to strap on the stock....

Then there's the iron sights.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My mind is made up on the mount which is going to be a Smith. If I decide to get a ACOG it will work very nice.

</div></div>

1-4 if going to 300, Aimpoint if hunting. I hope you have a really big head or a leather pillow to strap on the stock....

</div></div>

What do you mean by that huh?

"I hope you have a really big head or a leather pillow to strap on the stock...."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blk04SR</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

What do you mean by that huh?

"I hope you have a really big head or a leather pillow to strap on the stock...." </div></div>

Means you need a cheek riser with pretty much any optics setup on an M14 variant. Unless you like a chin weld or... have a really big head. Most scope eyepiece centers sit at least 1/2" above the rear sight and usually higher on M14 variants.

^^^
That's what I meant. There's a reason you see guys that are issued scoped M14's as DMR having 100mph tape over a big piece of foam on the stock.

Personally on an MIA I'd put an Aimpoint in as low a 30mm ring I could on the scout rail since the stock works best for me looking where the irons are.

Ahh got it...thats not a big deal I can always mod the stock some how. Hmmmmmm

I have the scout and I went with a bushnell 3200 10x40 mil dot and a burris speed dot with a one o' clock mount. With this set up I should be able to shoot out to 800 yards with 10 power and have the lil red dot for the closer targets so I have the best of both worlds.

If you want a lower 1/3 or 1/4 co-witness you can use an Ultimak M8 hand guard with an Aimpoint H1/T1. The Ultimak M8 hand guard/rail is the lowest rail for a forward optic I've seen.

You can also get a Desert Warrior Products cheek riser for your stock. It would allow you to go from scope to irons by just lowering the riser.