• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics needed for first bolt action

bushman6531

Private
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2023
St. Marys, GA
In search of a scope/mount for my first bolt action rifle. I've had LVPOs and Red dots before but with precision rifles I know there's a bit more to it so figured I would come here for some assistance before i blow some cash. Bought this rifle to plink targets but also shoot some deer.

Rifle: Proof Research Elevation MTR
Barrel: 24" carbon fiber wrapped match grade
Caliber: 6.5 PRC
Intended Use: shooting steel and deer
Conditions: plan to shoot during the day and low light.
Distances: Current gun range goes out to 500 yards. In the future I will travel to other ranges and would like to reach 1000 yards.
Budget: $3000

Additional Information: will be running suppressed once the ATF sends me my stamp.

Also need guidance on the mount. I am now seeing they have MOA ratings and no idea how that works in with a scope.

Get a Zeiss S3 4-25x50. On sale for $1725 until the end of the year and a steal at that price.

Then drop it in a MPA mount 34mm 1.125" height and 20 moa and you will be good to go. You can go a little lower is you like for height. Get both scope and mount for just over $2k plus tax and spend the rest on ammo.

Get a Zeiss S3 4-25x50. On sale for $1725 until the end of the year and a steal at that price.

Then drop it in a MPA mount 34mm 1.125" height and 20 moa and you will be good to go. You can go a little lower is you like for height. Get both scope and mount for just over $2k plus tax and spend the rest on ammo.

Any other recommendations for mount? Everywhere is sold out of that one.

Just get the 0moa 1.060” height. They have 31 in stock and it’s plenty high enough. Also that scope has 46.5 mils of elevation so more than enough on a 0moa base.

Wait for a used tangent 3-15m to pop up for 2700-2900 and buy that. Excellent hunting and target scope. Paired with a Hawkins one piece mount or their rings, you can’t go wrong with that combo. I would take that over the zco any day of the week.

With a $3K budget I’d be looking at used ZCO 4-20’s, TT315M’s, and S&B 3-20 US’s.

For new optics ATACR 4-16 or MK5HD.

I would keep weight in serious consideration on that rifle. A heavy optic is going to make it feel unbalanced.

Reactions: Krob95
Just go with ZCO and you won’t be disappointed if you like the reticles. You can also recoup what you have into it in the PX if you decide otherwise. They have held resale value extremely well if you buy used in the PX.

Stretch your budge a tad and get the ZCO 4-20 w/ a Spuhr mount for $3500 in the PX.

Edit: This one: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/zco-4-20-mpct-3x.7196964/

Wait for a used tangent 3-15m to pop up for 2700-2900 and buy that. Excellent hunting and target scope. Paired with a Hawkins one piece mount or their rings, you can’t go wrong with that combo. I would take that over the zco any day of the week.

Unsurprising, these are all the correct answers .

Reactions: Krob95

I second the Zeiss LRP S3 or S5 scope, and then get a set of ARC M-Brace rings. I don't like 1-piece mounts on bolt-guns...But they make both...

How does the Zeiss s3 4-25x hold up against Mk5hd?

OP, sorry if i cluttered your thread but i keep seeing people throw the Zeiss because it has a huge discount on it; and i am in the market for one too

I only watched one video i could find on the S3 and it was the larger 6-36 unit. To my understanding the customer service of Zeiss is not the greatest but these new scopes pack a punch. To me it feels like they are flooding the market by selling price; which is fine i guess, more info will be available soon.

How does the Zeiss s3 4-25x hold up against Mk5hd?

OP, sorry if i cluttered your thread but i keep seeing people throw the Zeiss because it has a huge discount on it; and i am in the market for one too

I only watched one video i could find on the S3 and it was the larger 6-36 unit. To my understanding the customer service of Zeiss is not the greatest but these new scopes pack a punch. To me it feels like they are flooding the market by selling price; which is fine i guess, more info will be available soon.
No comparison... The Zeiss glass is noticeably better, through my eyes. The MK5's are not that impressive of a scope for its price, if people are being honest. But most won't be, because they don't want to admit they overpaid for a product that under delivers. Same scenario with anything in life...Cars, motorcycles, tires, suspension lifts, performance parts, etc... You pay good money based on a name, or because it was overhyped, and then after you get it, you're like... Meh... It's happened to me, i've been caught up in before. We all have at some point or another. I've spent the last couple decades actively avoiding mainstream and hype on purpose, and have found quite a few gems. Not just in the gun world, but in other things, as well. Sometimes avoiding what's "cool" and new, and discovering an older overlooked product that is a hidden gem makes it all worth it.

Yeah, don't believe everything you read on the internet about customer service being bad because of one idiot who ended up admitting that he only has 1 Zeiss scope, and it's NOT a high-end Zeiss, said he's never had a problem with it, and has never actually dealt with their CS personally, but "knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody..." and continued to bash on them on hearsay. 🙄

I've had my LRP S3 for about 9 months now, and it's been an awesome scope. Absolutely zero complaints, which is odd for me, since I can typically find SOMETHING I don't like like about everything.

IMG_1288.jpeg

Last edited:
I have several ZCO 5-27s, a Mk5 PR2 7x35, and recently picked up a Zeiss S3 6x36.

I liked the Zeiss enough to order a second from EuroOptic for $1845 with free shipping and they pay your taxes. The glass is pretty sharp and it’ll fit your needs. Get a great mount, and save the cash.

Reactions: FuhQ
No comparison... The Zeiss glass is noticeably better, through my eyes. The MK5's are not that impressive of a scope for its price, if people are being honest. But most won't be, because they don't want to admit they overpaid for a product that under delivers. Same scenario with anything in life...Cars, motorcycles, tires, suspension lifts, performance parts, etc... You pay good money based on a name, or because it was overhyped, and then after you get it, you're like... Meh... It's happened to me, i've been caught up in before. We all have at some point or another. I've spent the last couple decades actively avoiding mainstream and hype on purpose, and have found quite a few gems. Not just in the gun world, but in other things, as well. Sometimes avoiding what's "cool" and new, and discovering an older overlooked product that is a hidden gem makes it all worth it.

Yeah, don't believe everything you read on the internet about customer service being bad because of one idiot who ended up admitting that he only has 1 Zeiss scope, and it's NOT a high-end Zeiss, said he's never had a problem with it, and has never actually dealt with their CS personally, but "knows somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody..." and continued to bash on them on hearsay. 🙄

I've had my LRP S3 for about 9 months now, and it's been an awesome scope. Absolutely zero complaints, which is odd for me, since I can typically find SOMETHING I don't like like about everything.

View attachment 8282205
Thanks for the explanation.

I have several ZCO 5-27s, a Mk5 PR2 7x35, and recently picked up a Zeiss S3 6x36.

I liked the Zeiss enough to order a second from EuroOptic for $1845 with free shipping and they pay your taxes. The glass is pretty sharp and it’ll fit your needs. Get a great mount, and save the cash.
If all prices were equal which one would you order again?

ZCO 5-27 NLE MPCT3X, if they were all equal, it's my preferred reticle. I bought 2 of them here on the PX and a 3rd new. The Zeiss S3 is what I'm using going forward knowing the value and quality.