• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optics on your trainers?

Re: Optics on your trainers?

Ones that meet the same criteria you use for your go to centerfire.

I can't stand that most everyone thinks that just because a rifle is a rimfire that it only needs a $100 scope......

I agree with Sobr.
My .308 wears a USO SN3 3.2-17x44 Mil/Mil scope.
DSC00786.jpg

And my 40X wears a USO SN3 1.8-10x37 Mil/Mil scope.
DSC00781.jpg

Both have the US#3 knobs in 1/10 Mil increments, its nice to have the same controls on each scope.

Mk4 3.5-10x40

Another good scope for a smallbore rifle is the Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X40mm EFR.

But let me ask a question....when shooting these 22lr trainer rifles....how much are you really using the turrets on the scope with this caliber? Do you really do a lot of dialing up & down & how far do you normally shoot?

If my only goal is to practice my shooting forms & fundamentals from 50-100 yards, and I want to shoot the cheaper .22lr to save money, why spend $1000 on a scope that will NEVER be used to it's potential on this rifle?

Am I missing something here....?

A 22lr at 200 yards give you similar effect as shooting a 308 at 600.

If you are shooting 50-100 yards only you are missing something. 100yds will give a cheap scope a workout if you are dialing back to 50.
Are you really shooting 50/100, because that's 8-9 moa difference?

If you arent going to push the .22 past 100yds you wouldnt need to be cranking on the knobs too much. IMHO in your case you would do just fine getting a less expensive scope.
I have a 100yd zero on my 40X and to get out to 250+ you need a good bit of elevation. I didnt buy the USO for my 40X, it was actually on my .308 for 2yrs and when I upgraded to the higher magnification scope, I moved it to the .22lr.

Wow.....I guess I really didn't think about it having that much drop from 100 to 200. I was thinking about getting a .22 trainer, but it was mostly going to be used from 100 yds & shorter & really it was to practice my different shooting positions....

So I'll probably keep the scope price under $300.....I think that will be fine for my purposes.

Weaver tactical...mil dot. Will replace with a sn-3 as soon as i can afford it

Although I would love to be able to afford to put a $1000 scope on my $300 Savage MKII w/Tacticool stock, it just isn't in the cards, and even if it was, I don't think I would do it.

I have a Tasco varmint scope that cost me all of $75, plus an EGW 20 MOA base. It works just fine out to 50 yards, and would probably work to 100, if I ever shot that far. If I was in desperate need of an upgrade, I've got a Bushnell 3200 sitting in the closet that would get my little rimfire out to as far as it could go.

$1000 scopes are for clarity, repeatability, and durability on larger caliber centerfires. I just don't see the practicality in spending that much money to reach out all the way to 100 yards with a powder-puff 22 that generally doesn't hit the field.

Just my two cents.

For the time being my Savage TR has a millett 4-16x56 and it a great sub 300 dollar scope and will be my temp scope on my Skunk works 323 once I get it. The plan is to replace it with a Leupold 4.5-14x40 Mark 4 which is the same scope I plan to put on my M40A1 clone I am working on but that may take a while since 1000 bucks is alot to cough up for a scope much less two scope. My Millett works great on my Savage its just too bad my Savage is so inconsistant

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 168BTHPM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another good scope for a smallbore rifle is the Leupold Vari-X III 6.5-20X40mm EFR. </div></div>
Yep +1 I have an EFR on my trainer.
I also agree with Sobr. A weapon is only as good as the glass it wears.

EFR and MK416X are the only two Leupy's tha I really like!

Now an EFR with a PR GenII mildot would be the rimfire cat's ass!!!!

Right now, so I can stretch it's legs a little, mine has a NXS 5.5-22x50 on it. Really, I'd rather run my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24x50 since it focuses up close better. Internal adjustment range is balls tho. I've been thinking about shimming and then bedding my base to get the perfect forward cant for a 50yd zero at the bottom end of the adjustment range. Since it's a 10/22 barrel droop eats up nearly all the 20MOA of forward cant I already have in my base.

Oh yeah, setup for shooting wolf match target(SK Standard Plus.)

Another vote for the Millett TRS-1 here. It's cheap, seems to work well, and focuses down to living room distances allowing me to dry fire in the house. If I had the bank, I'd have another NF, but that's not happening anytime soon.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA SS 3-9x42mm. </div></div>

How's the focus at short distances?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: michshot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What sort of optics are you running on your trainers? </div></div>

It's not on my 22 trainer right now but the Bushnell 3-12x44 is perfect for this application,especially if you use mil/mil on your big gun.I like being able to focus at 10Y if needed.It's so versatile that I've shot out 1100Y on my 6mmART40 with it.Used it to win some HFT air rifle matches,10Y-55Y,"holdovers only".Now it's on a Olympic match PCP air pistol,LOL.

Well in the begining........ there was a 10/22 with a 4x bushnell banner, I stalked and shot lots of squirrels in the noggin ( mostly that spot betwix the eye and ear.

My point, get what you can afford....... but use it to hone your skills.

( just the ramblins of old crust thats been in uniform since 1986 )

I've been using a Super Sniper 10X on a CZ 452 .22LR for 2 years out to 350 yards with very good results. A special base isn't required either, just 30mm rings.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Oodin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SWFA SS 3-9x42mm. </div></div>

How's the focus at short distances? </div></div>Sorry sobrbiker883 I didn't see your post.

I don't shoot much at close ranges (<50 yards). The magnification does need to be dialed down, but I haven't felt handicapped by that yet.

I use very similarly built USOs on my centerfire and rimfire trainer. It just makes life easier.

With the power turned up and when the light is right, I can see the bullets in flight on the rimfire.......

I run the same model of Nightforce (5.5-22x) on my trainer that is on my other rifles. I love the NPR1 reticle and .25 MOA knobs. I like to keep it consistent.

Weaver 3-9x mil/mil on my 10/22. My first optic with matching turrets & reticle. Might get some practice with this while I wait for the PST for my 700 (which is sitting with empty rings at the moment).

I have a Redfield 4x12 on my savage. I am not that into precise shooting when it comes to a 22 yet. Give it time. The question is will I ever put something like a Mark 4 or Nightforce on it and I can say that I don't think I can justify putting that kind of glass on a savage 22. Other people might but I can't.

Bushnell 3-12x44 FFP mil/mil will be replacing my Falcons

SS 3-9 on mine as well.

the only issue i have with it is 50 yrds or less at above 5x.

beyond its great, consistent hits out to 250yrds so far with nordic NC22
AR upper... i figure beyond 300 i run out of adjustment.

nightforce 12-42X56 BR on my sako P94S
only ever take it off 42 power for the rapid fire part of a match

sakoP95Ssmall.jpg

<--Bushnell trophy 3-9x40 but I don't dial it up and down either (mainly for squirrels)
Will be replaced by the 3.5-10 x 40 Vari-x III tactical mildot that I recently aquired

I just mounted a Konus M30 6.5-25x44. Looks pretty good so far, and the price was right.

5264931504_044a2d2430_b.jpg

Onyx