• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics options.

LoneWolfUSMC

Lt. Colonel
Minuteman
I am looking at replacing the optics on my primary rifle. I wanted to run this by you guys to see if I am missing anything.

Rifle: Remington 700 S/A .308.

The primary role is a Law Enforcement precision rifle. Secondary is long range target/tactical shooting (500-1000yards)

Requirements:
approximately 4-14x variable
FFP
Illuminated Mil Reticle
Durable
Exposed Turrets

For the purpose of this discussion lets assume that cost is not a limit. (although it probably will be).

I know I can have USO custom build me a SN-3 with all of these features. I am just wondering if there is anything else out there. If I have to sacrifice some of the top end power to get the other options, then so be it.

FFP and illuminated reticle are a priority. Many of the real world deployments for this rifle will be at night and NVD's are not an option right now.

The "Snipers Hide" IOR would be perfect if it was illuminated. The 2.5-10x42 FFP Illuminated IOR would be acceptable if I could get it with the exposed turrets on the other model. Has anyone had any experience with swapping turrets on the IOR's?

My Falcon is working well, but this rifle will be placed into service in the next couple months. I really don't feel comfortable with the Falcon as a duty optic yet and the lack of an illuminated reticle has caused problems in training.

Re: Optics options.

That's the purpose of this post.

Throw up some models that you think would fill the requirements. Some I just haven't though to look at.

Up to this point high end optics meant no money left for ammo. Going forward my ammo budget will be supplemented by the department, so I may be able to squeeze out a little more cash.

3.2 - 17 TPAL from USO is hard to beat for your application(s).

If it were a strictly Police rifle I'd lean more to the 1.8 - 10 TPAL as the JNG reticle is very nice for distance and up close performance.

USO also offers the Dual Detent knob that made such a hit on the Premier Heritage (they invented it).

Nothing wrong with Premier, NF or S&B in thier various
offerings. USO just gives you more options to get it "your way".

.02 for the pot.

Cheers,

Doc

Even now, given every other excellent scope in the high-end market that's out there:

Schmidt/Bender 4-16x42 PMII LP with CCW single turn elevation Mil knobs and Gen II XL.

IMHO
1. Hensoldt 4-16x56 ff

2.S&B 4-16x50
3. USO Canadian

No experience with PR scope.

PS:" The "Snipers Hide" IOR would be perfect if it was illuminated.
My favorite scope too, but no quality and no illum

Im gonna have to agree with the Doc..for your type of work(LE) I would go with 1.8-10 a 2.5-10 or even a 3-12 scope. The scopes work better at lower mags with the reticle more usable especially if its a FFP scope. and optically better at the lower magnifications compared to the 3.2-17 or 4-16 scopes. (fish bowl image. shadows.critical eye relief..ect.)..just my 2 cents..

PS nothing stupider than reccomending a hubble with shit FOV for LE marksman in urban areas.

why not the ior 2.5x10 and you can just leave the turret covers off if it makes you feel better. it will save you a ton of money over your other options and you will still have great glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: abersfelderami</div><div class="ubbcode-body">strictly for LE job fixed x6 or x10 would work the best, if variable than in SFP.IMO </div></div>

I have a "little" bit of experience with fixed 10x. Think about how close most engagements are. At 100 yards a 10x Mk4 has a FOV of 11'. So figure at 50 yards (a more likely LE engagement range) and you are looking at a 5.5' FOV. Combine that with living targets that don't stand still for long and the possibility of a fast moving target or multiples and you see that 10x is on the high end for a LE Rifle. If I was forced to go with a fixed magnification (which I am not) a 4x would be more appropriate.

I said that in response to Arcangel8654 post (I agree 100% to what he said) and went further.I think in your line of job less "variable" is better,your job is stressful enough. Shooting moving target in urban area at 50 yards with a scoped bolt action - less likely. Most likely targets are stationary and you're shooting from fixed position with a spotter on your side. Is variable scope in FFP your best choice? Should I have one doing all rifle or dedicated one? I'm pretty sure you know the answer already.
Actually, I should be asking all those questions.

My opinion on scopes: for a all around .308 with illuminated reticle I would choose: in that order: Premier 3-15x50 with Gen 2 XR, seems to me a very nice company, very helpfull so far to me, S&B with any reticle, for me P4Lfine, all are just center illuminated, Nightforce, they can just switch on and off the illumination, would not be enough for me.
Hensoldt is the the scope I would NOT consider, I have one and it let me down TWICE in just 15 month with a total of 10 weeks repair. This is not considered reliable in my opinion.
Perhaps you want to look at Swarowski, but they don´t have mil reticles or turrents.
I don´t understand the US optics homepage, so no comment here.

Has anybody ever heard of the new March tactical scopes coming out soon? Perhaps something else to consider.

This is JUST my opinion.

In the past 6 years I've used a 3.5-10X Leupold, A springfield 6-2oX,a 3.5-15X Nightforce and now run a US Optics 3.2-17X on my duty rifles.

The 3.2-17X has been my personal favorite and I have zero complaints with it for LE work. If I can't get at least 50 yards out on an operation (which is common in my AO) I will use my AR15 so I don't need a scope that dials down to 1X or 2X.