• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optics Test

Bushmaster

Minuteman
Dec 8, 2008
Edinburg, Texas
I was told that there is test similar to the chart at an eye Dr.'s office that scope makers use to check clarity of glass at given distances. Is this true? If so where could you find a version? It would be interesting to compare many makes of scopes for some insight. I have just about every brand and make you could think of available to use for this NON scientific test. If you take the same shooter w/ known vision and sit him down behind all diff. scopes and see what you come up with. Also for my personal satisfaction to back up the bickering about which glass is better. Of course its not the end all be all test but it would still be interesting. Maybe someone has already done this? Thanks in advance.

Re: Optics Test

<span style="font-weight: bold"> HERE </span>

About middle of the page........ HTH

Swedish guy is right, but I'd love to see the results of your tests. Be sure to look at the chart through different parts of the field of view.

I've played around with this a bit and found that is difficult to assure that the scopes are set on exactly the same magnification when comparing different models. The markings on the scopes may or may not be correct. Graduated reticles can help, but this is complicated by 1st/2nd focal plane issues.

"If you take the same shooter w/ known vision and sit him down behind all diff. scopes and see what you come up with".

What gonna happen if he chooses Bushnell?

Actually, you need to take 100 shooters and blindly sit them down behind different optics to run the test, then average the numbers or use the statistics to figure out who "wins"...

Otherwise, you're just giving yourself an eye exam with a scope between you and the test target.

Magnification differences will also skew the target as no scope is actually 100% of its advertised magnification. So if you look through an S&B it is 16.2X and a USO and it is 17X or on 16X it turns out to be 16.5X which do you think will "look" better?

Charts are only a starting point.

I googled "eye chart", downloaded one, took it to a 200 yard range and compared. My Nightforce was a little clearer than my Nikon Monarch, but I knew that before I started.
myerfire

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myerfire</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I googled "eye chart", downloaded one, took it to a 200 yard range and compared. My Nightforce was a little clearer than my Nikon Monarch, but I knew that before I started.
myerfire </div></div>
Was the "eye chart" made in a neutral country(neutral to the scopes)?

TD 308, thanks for the link. I'll follow inst's and print it out.
Swede,
I realize that there is far more to a scopes quality than this simple test I'm proposing. I just thought it may be interesting to see the diff. w/ my own eyes and take a non prefferential approach for comparison. All scope makers make their name by their ruggedness, clarity, consistency, warranty, and quality. THis will be just a poor mans test to offer one facet of many when looking at scopes to make a decision. I think that's a good idea to try several people and run the test that way. Between me and .5 dozen friends we have just about every tactical scope you can name: SB, Mk4, NF, Premier, SS, Falcon, and Bushnell. Before all of you engineers/scientists say that this will provide no real hard data, let me say that I realize thats somewhat true. I just think it may be helpful for those who are on the fence as to what to buy.

PS: I also totally agree w/ your post LL. I'll try to keep everything on a level field as possible.

Optical Sharpness.... Good afternoon Snipershide friends. I am preparing to do a scope comparison in the Optical Sharpness arena on Thursday between the Vortex Viper PST Gen2 5-25 that I have been using on my Vudoo and a Burris Xtreme Tactical XTR 3 5.5-30. My plan is to put these two " Optical Sharpness Targets" up at 50, 100 and 150 yards, which is just the boards we have on this particular range and see how they look. Put one Vudoo on one bench with the Burris and another on the next bench and go back and forth and see what I see. Is The Burris Brighter and Better?? Don't know. Cost more $$$... But going to take a look see... at the middle. At the edges... Posted the Targets so they were available if you were interested. All the Best. 4Certain

Attachments

• Optical Sharpness Chart Optics Test AA.pdf
    17.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Optical Sharpness Chart USAF 1951 no2.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 53
Reactions: deersniper