• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Optics with PVS14 question

sled_mack

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 31, 2008
Slatington, PA
I'm in the process of putting together a carbine focused on night use. I'll be using this with head mounted PVS14s. I'll have a IR laser and illuminator on it. Illuminator can be switched to white light, also.

Scope questions- I had seen a few recommendations here for the Primary Arms Cyclops 1x scopes. I see they have a 4 inch eye relief, not unlimited like a red dot. Is that eye relief to the front of the PVS14, or to my eye? Also, can you see the etched reticle with night vision, or are you using the illumination for that?

Would a LPVO type scope work in this role? Maybe 1-4x. Although I wouldn't be opposed to higher mag. My thinking is that when used in daylight, the magnification might be useful. I don't think trying to line up behind a magnified scope with head mounted night vision is a great idea, or am I wrong on that? If this is a viable solution, any recommended scopes?

I suppose another option is a LPVO mounted traditional and a red dot/reflex on top? Just not sure of that functionality.

Lastly - if I go with Cyclops (or even LPVO) what height riser is recommended? I tried looking through the scope on my current AR and it was a no go. But it's hard to judge how high without testing it.

Thanks,
Steve

So are you trying to figure out how to line up your head mounted rig behind a sight or are you wanting to also be able to mount the PVS on the weapon behind a sight?

If the former, it doesn’t really work well regardless of the sight, that’s why you have a laser.

Yep, aiming IR laser only for night use if running a helmet mounted PVS 14 (I don’t recommend mounting the device directly to the weapon), run your LPVO during the day.

If you want to shoot with a magnified optic at night you will want to run a clip-on like a Pvs 22 or dedicated NV/Thermal optic...

If this is a carbine to be used for general purpose use/defense then I’d just use the aiming laser with your PVS-14 at night and use an LPVO of your choice during the day.

Correct- head mounted only, not mounting the PVS14 to the carbine. I’ve got a PVS30 for use on other rifles for long distance.

So for night use just look over/around the optic and aim with laser?

Thanks