• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OpticsPlanet.com Review... Never Again!

-Nick-

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 3, 2011
I recently decided to get into reloading. I researched trying to find the best deals with what I hoped to be reliable vendors. One of those Vendors was Optics Planet. I had ordered something from them in the past and it didn't go well, but I decided to give it a 2nd shot... that a mistake.

I ordered 6 items all that said "in-stock". I go to track my order 2 days later only to find that 4 of the 6 items were in fact on back-order and the 2 items in stock including a $335 RCBS Chargemaster Combo weren't even shipped. I call customer service and speak with a friendly young lady. I end up have to cancel 3 items, and she assures me the 1 item on back-order has delivery ETA's for yesterday 10/31 and tomorrow 11/2. She also arranged to have the other items shipped immediately rather than make me wait for the item on back-order.

Now, today I go to check the status of my order. Neither of the 2 in-stock items have been shipped and the back-order isn't in. It also now says the RCBS is on "Hold-Expecting for stock". I call customer service again and speak to another courteous gentleman. He apologizes and says he'll the items shipped today. I ask about the back-order item as the status now says "Item revised" only to be told the soonest they'll now have them in is the 16th. What happened to the 2 expected deliveries? Well according to Optics Planet they were pushed back. What was the nail in the coffin... "We tried to see about having it sent from another supplier we have that has them in-stock, but the margin wasn't there enough to allow us." Are you fucking serious? You just told me you could get it from somewhere else after you told me when I purchased and when I called back upon discovering, and now you're telling me you'd rather screw the customer than have to screw yourself for under-delivering? Not so amazing is the fact that the Supervisors are never available. Finally though I got a guy named "Jeff" on the phone. Needless to say I'm beyond pissed off since now I have to order the item from somewhere else completely and pay shipping for 1 fucking item and I'm aggravated that I have to beg to get the shit that's been in-stock. Jeff's tone had the tone he could fucking care less. His apology was more to placate as he had every excuse to how it's not their fault and I'm an obvious inconvenience for wanting what I payed for.

Although people want to trash Midway... All of both the 1st order of 7 items AND the 2nd order of the 3 items that Optics Planet dropped the ball on(plus an extra item I threw in to use a discount code) were not only in-stock as advertised, but they're arriving TODAY for the basic shipping. Optics Planet hasn't even got the 2 in-stock items in the mail yet...

To Optics Planet... You guys need to get your shit together and slap your Supervisors. Your Customer Service Reps were great and did well on the damage control. Too bad your Supervisor was an asshole and took whatever goodwill your reps had done and flushed it down the toilet. There's also a serious issue when your inventory software is OBVIOUSLY not communicating with your website with even an iota of accuracy.

Re: OpticsPlanet.com Review... Never Again!

I know your pain man. Been there. I ordered 120 bucks worth of scope rings and they gave me the same run around. The second time I ordered I called in my order and asked the rep flat out are you sure its in stock. She said yes its in stock an I got it pretty fast. There website is well set up but the ifo is not accurate. Anyone else thinking about ordering I suggest calling to place an order .

Ordered a GPS from them last week, never shipped. I called yesterday to see what was going on, and the unit is on backorder. the kicker, is that It was a discontinued model and the representative told me they were waiting on a new shipment to arrive. Thanks a lot, order canceled, moving on with life...

The only order I ever placed with Optics Planet went off without a hitch.

I can't say the same for Midway, I've cancelled orders with them after seeing backorder dates keep getting pushed further and further back, and having to check when I feel they should be notifying. I can say their online inventory seems accurate, never had an issue with anything that showed as in stock, and the shipping has always been acceptably quick.

My conclusion is this crap happens sometimes, no matter who you go thru, this is where CS should earn its keep. That said inaccurate inventory is probably my number one pet peeve, I fail to see any excuse when its all electronically checked in and out these days to not have a "live" accurate inventory. If I do business with them again I will likely call and verify.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ordered a GPS from them last week, never shipped. I called yesterday to see what was going on, and the unit is on backorder. the kicker, is that It was a discontinued model and the representative told me they were waiting on a new shipment to arrive. Thanks a lot, order canceled, moving on with life... </div></div>

Same story on a scope I ordered. I called and told them it was discontinued and asked if they were sure they could get it. Yes, no problem. After ton of run around, we will have it this date and that date, no we have it scheduled to come in next week. In the end they said it was discontinued and they could not get it. No shit.....They suck worse than any vender I have ever dealt with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only order I ever placed with Optics Planet went off without a hitch.

I can't say the same for Midway, I've cancelled orders with them after seeing backorder dates keep getting pushed further and further back, and having to check when I feel they should be notifying. I can say their online inventory seems accurate, never had an issue with anything that showed as in stock, and the shipping has always been acceptably quick.
</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Darkarcher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Same story on a scope I ordered. I called and told them it was discontinued and asked if they were sure they could get it. Yes, no problem. After ton of run around, we will have it this date and that date, no we have it scheduled to come in next week. In the end they said it was discontinued and they could not get it. No shit.....They suck worse than any vender I have ever dealt with. </div></div>

That's why I generally never backorder anything. As for Optics Planet and SWFA, I do the same thing I do if I order from Botach -- call first to verify stock. Optics Planet seems especially bad about this, it seems they'll list every SKU from every company they carry but don't actually keep most of the stuff in stock.

As for Midway, I like them because they ship fast and it arrives two business days after I order even with UPS ground.

Same story when I ordered a scope through OPTICS PLANET. Caught them with their pants down and called them out on it. Said "In Stock"! In stock means in stock and ship directly. NOT in stock somewhere else, finally locate it and finally ship it! I HATE THAT!

BTW If you are getting into reloading, it would be wise to go to the reloading threads and read ALOT. this will save you MONEY, TIME and loading ERRORS. Also, find a REAL friend that doesn't mind your constantly contacting him for advise etc. You are more than welcome to contact me and of course anyone else here that reloads as well. there is a wealth of knowledge on here, but you have to decide how "particular" you want to be. It can be very precise stuff to produce the best groups for you! Good luck and take your time.

Reloading equipment..... I got to Midway. They ship quickly and price fairly.

I tried ordering a scope from them.

It was marked "in-stock" on their page and listed for a specific price. I had looked at it almost weekly for about two months before placing the order, trying to work up courage enough to spend that much money.

They send me an e-mail and I had to deal with an endless stream of itar crap. Finally, it was all in.

Two weeks later they call me to tell me it isn't "in stock" and that I ordered at the right time because the price would go up in the next six months, but they would honor the price as it listed it in-stock and for specific price when I ordered it. Fine, I'll wait, its normal.

Then about a month later, they call me telling me that they cannot sell me the scope because of a "pricing error" on their website. They tell me it was a typo at that price and couldn't not sell me the scope for that. I didn't mind that they decided that they wouldn't honor the price so much as the LIED to me about it. Screw the liar on the phone. I talk to a supervisor and he agrees to sell me one at what their new cost will be when they get more in stock. After six or seven months, I see the same scope become listed "in-stock" three or four times, but my order continued to say "Hold-Expecting for stock".

I call them while they show it in stock time and time again and they say its a typo on their part and tell me I'll have mine in a month. After seeing so many other vendors with the same stuff in stock, I call them up and cancel it, and they have the audacity to tell me they would fill more order soon if I keep it on order.

NEVER will I deal with them again. I don't care if they are a sponsor here or not. Lies, false promises, jerking me around on the itar crap, and insulting my intelligence with their "typos" was too much after months and months. I ordered from another sponsor here and received some of the best customer service ever and had the scope within a week.

i have tried to buy from OP before. based on bad reviews here in the past i've always called before ordering. nice people on the phone, but never backorder from OP.

for reloading equipment, sinclair/brownells has most everything.

I just ordered from Midway earlier this week and the set of dies that I wanted was backordered. I looked at the date and it was expected to ship on Nov. 5th. I just got an email that it went out today. The rest of my order that was in stock arrived today. I'm happy with midway, I'll be even happier once everything gets here and I can make sure that it's the right stuff.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powdermeasure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW If you are getting into reloading, it would be wise to go to the reloading threads and read ALOT. this will save you MONEY, TIME and loading ERRORS. Also, find a REAL friend that doesn't mind your constantly contacting him for advise etc. You are more than welcome to contact me and of course anyone else here that reloads as well. there is a wealth of knowledge on here, but you have to decide how "particular" you want to be. It can be very precise stuff to produce the best groups for you! Good luck and take your time. </div></div>

I appreciate the offer. I didn't get into reloading originally because I knew nothing about it. I've over time though developed some good friends that know and do a TON about reloading and I've been able to use their equipment first and see the things I do and don't like before buying. I'm also a buy once cry once guy, so I wanted to wait until I had all the $$$ to outfit myself nicely with the right tools.

I like Natchez, not as fast as Midway but cheaper shipping Graf is good also

Botached is one company I will never do business with!!! they pissed me off so bad a few years ago i still get mad just seeing there company's name!!!! i can not believe they are still around, as for optics planet i have only ordered one item from them and it arrived as they said but after reading all this i will plan my purchases a little more wisely, thanks for the heads up on them..

Try mid south shooters supply, been very happy with every transaction. I had a minor issue with getting an online order placed ( mainly my un familiarity with the web site ) one phone call and all was right with the world.

You guys scream at a company that is mainly set up to drop ship products that they sell on their biggest advertising website: EBAY.....

Thanks for the heads up on which company to avoid.

Ordered base and rings from Optics Planet and a few days later instead of the "Order Shipped" email I fully expected and to an extent counted on I got more of a "items not currently in stock expected to ship within 1-3 weeks". Or close to that anyways. I called and cancelled and ordered from midway and a few days later there was a Midway box sitting next to my front door...

Many orders from Midway later I still look there first, if what I need isn't in stock I go elsewhere. If it is, I order it and I'm playing with it a few days later.

havent had problems with either Optics planet or midway usa

Plain and simple Optics Planet is guilty of FALSE ADVERTISING
Yoi should call the better business bureau.
Maybe they can lite a fire under that ass........

Dang, I hate to talk like that. But, it just really burns me up
when companies knowingly and willingly do that sort of thing.

Same here with OP. I had bought some telescope stuff from them a couple of years ago, and it went fine. But more recently, I "tried" to buy some scope stuff from them including a Bushnell they had "in stock" at a nice price where the price had gone up at other vendors. Guess what? Turns out they did not have it in stock and then they flat out told me that they couldn't get it any more. Then it showed up on the site at the higher price. Never again.

Unfortunately it looks like Brownells/Sinclair is sufering from the same syntoms.

I ordered two products that were IN STOCK, with other products (all in stock too).
I got the "order shipped" email, but these two products were not included!
They put on back order, even on my confirmation order saying it was IN STOCK.

As it happened only one time (in september this year) I tought it was just an ocasional mystake on their part.

But then, today a friend of mine told me he ordered a product (a thousand dollar value) last week that was IN STOCK, received the order confirmation email, but a couple days later he checked and it was backordered, just like my order.
He canceled the order and bought from Europtic.

LRCampos.

I order from Brownells very regularly, have since around 2001 and never ever had a problem. Lately, I order once or twice a week and nothing but excellent service. This weeks order was placed at around noon on Monday, and was shipped by 1pm and arrived weds using cheapest shipping option.

All I can say is, after hearing enough horror stories, if I have any doubt, I simply call and ask, and then, once I know for certain the item is in stock, place my order over the phone.

So much simpler that way.

I've ordered a bunch from both Optics planet and DVOR. Never really har any issues, but then I always do my business on the phone...

I will never trust in stock on the web without calling. It's not worth the hassle and ordering without calling and you're asking for it.

I've never had a problem with anything being back ordered because I always call and place a phone order.

The only time I haven't is with Triad and Bravo Company cause they just won't answer the phone but if you email them they will respond with stocking status and it's always been accurate.

Broker-

Whenever you get ready to buy your cunsumables, drop me a PM. I'll get you a deal on bullets, brass, powder and primers.

We are no BS. If we can't get it, we don't take your money and string you out.

It's takes 100+ good comments to make up for one negitave review.

Drop us a PM, you might like what I've got to say.

I think part of it is that we are spoiled by some vendors that just "get it right" like Amazon and B&H for two examples. Their infrastructure is such that if it says it's in stock, it is. We always get order confirmations then shipping confirmations from them. So the bar is pretty high.

I agree - when dealing with most vendors, it's smart to call for stock if you have to have it within a certain time frame.

My Sinclairs story: I ordered some items from them - the web site said "in stock". I received an order confirmation, again indicating "in stock" for all items. The confirmation email said that they would update me again when the order shipped.

No update.

Then a few days later, sooner than I expected even, a box shows up with all items inside. In a way, they exceeded expectations with the quick shipping. But I was starting to worry since I hadn't gotten a confirmation. Same thing happened once with SWFA... so like I say - I think we're all spoiled by the very best vendors out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: spamassassain</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think part of it is that we are spoiled by some vendors that just "get it right" like Amazon and B&H for two examples. Their infrastructure is such that if it says it's in stock, it is. We always get order confirmations then shipping confirmations from them. So the bar is pretty high.

I agree - when dealing with most vendors, it's smart to call for stock if you have to have it within a certain time frame.

My Sinclairs story: I ordered some items from them - the web site said "in stock". I received an order confirmation, again indicating "in stock" for all items. The confirmation email said that they would update me again when the order shipped.

No update.

Then a few days later, sooner than I expected even, a box shows up with all items inside. In a way, they exceeded expectations with the quick shipping. But I was starting to worry since I hadn't gotten a confirmation. Same thing happened once with SWFA... so like I say - I think we're all spoiled by the very best vendors out there. </div></div>

So, we're spoiled when we get something as advertised?

Sounds familiar to me- I've had both good and bad orders with OP. On general gear that everyone has it was good. On no less than two orders including scopes I got some LONG winded promises, not in stock "in-stock" items, long lead time expected shipments that were changed a few times, and eventually had to cancel those orders because they couldn't get the job done.

Most of us have "schedules" for the things we buy. If we can't get them on time we have to find another avenue to get them. I had a course, they failed, I was really lucky that Cameraland was able to step up for me. Thanks Doug!!

Sorry, guys - I didn't mean that we are spoiled. What I meant was that some companies set the bar high - high enough that many smaller and less organized retailers can't reach. It is not trivial to have all of those processes automated. It is not even trivial to know for sure what you have in stock, have that information in your computer system, then tie it to a web store.

Granted, it is getting easier and less expensive to achieve these things. Many retailers cheat, and frankly I would put OP in that category. They shouldn't list it as "in stock" if it's not. All I'm saying is that it's not trivial to have everything line up. That said, retailers who can't get it together should admit this to themselves and take the "in stock" indicator off their site, and replace it with "call for stock status". That would be called having integrity.

I ordered an Eotech from them about 2 years ago and went smooth as butter.

I've had at least 3 orders from optics planet with out a hitch. It sucks to hear about your experience. But as some people said, you really cant go wrong with Midway as long as you don't mind the shipping rates. But most of the time they have deals going on which negate the high shipping rates. Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdr724</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

The only time I haven't is with Triad and Bravo Company cause they just won't answer the phone but if you email them they will respond with stocking status and it's always been accurate. </div></div>

If the phone does not get answered, it's because we're on the phone or trying to get orders out the door. I dont put people on hold to take another call. I'm surprised by the number of people that will call several time and never leave a message. Were pretty good about returning voice messages.

I got screwed over by midway as well.... they sent me the wrong rings (after I paid for 2 day shipping) so I sent them back for an exchange, they sent the correct rings and stuck me for another $26 in shipping! I called up and explained the situation. They said they'd verify my claim and get back to me.... haven't heard a word from them since. Guess I'm a Brownells customer now... I fucking hate getting dicked around. Poor customer service kills it for me.

Maybe I order enough shit that I get special treatment, but I haven't just had good customer service from optics planet, it has been great.

Multiple times ordering scopes that were backordered, all arrived at my door before the date they expected to get them.

I use their live chat feature a lot, things have always gone great.

Disappointing to hear about the troubles.

Never been screwed by Midway, they are fast and accurate with ship times...

Midway is great, i agree with you on the in stock / out of stock/ With "modern inventory" i shoild be a no brainer to keep an up to date list of in/out of stock items. I have complained before to large companies to a no avail. Making their money I guess.

To comment on the OP's orginial issue. I'd vote that he was "botached" of sorts on the refund which does suck.
However I agree with a lot of folks that CS seems to be lacking by a lot of companies lately. As far as the in stock goes I tried to order an upper that was on sale from Mid. Intially it wasn't avialable to order till a certain date. I kept an eye on it and ordered once available. It was then immediately on back order, no problem. After awhile of checking near its "in stock" date it never came around. It was then taken out of the catalog completely. I was told ooops we missed an email our bad. In addition it was said that the manufacturer wasn't going to supply them anymore. (Bushmaster Pred 20" upper) Well after the initial agitation I got even more annoyed when they sent me an email saying it was in stock if i wanted. I called and said I was interested IF I got it for the sale price I intially backordered it at. Nope couldn't happen because then they'd hafta do that "for everyone". Between that and not really doing much about NOT having the proper weight and type of bullet (180gr in box of 158's fortunately I was paying attention) in their "guaranteed count and guaranteed accuracy" box I no longer do business with Midway.
An apparently the pres is to busy doing his stupid commercials for every sorta thing under the sun.
I'll give my business to brownells or midsouth etc. In my opinion it would be VERY hard to beat brownells return policy one of the best gong.
But Midway, Botach are definitely off the list.

No offense but most vendors here could learn a lot from Brownells or Midway USA. Just ordered $300 worth of shit from Brownells @ 1400. By 1900 I was tracking my order with UPS. I'll have my items Wednesday.

Haven't figured out the bitch and midway shipping rates. Flat out cheaper than most vendors here. Flat out faster shipping period. Most vendors require me to place my order by the previous Friday or Sunday to get my items by the following Friday. Midway or Brownells 3 days tops.

Not saying this is all vendors here, but some are lacking. I still continue do business with the slow guys because they support "US".

some of it is size of company and size of orders. they can become pretty efficient when you have more people and are used to high volumes of orders. some vendors here have one employee. or maybe a handful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but most vendors here could learn a lot from Brownells or Midway USA. Just ordered $300 worth of shit from Brownells @ 1400. By 1900 I was tracking my order with UPS. I'll have my items Wednesday.

Haven't figured out the bitch and midway shipping rates. Flat out cheaper than most vendors here. Flat out faster shipping period. Most vendors require me to place my order by the previous Friday or Sunday to get my items by the following Friday. Midway or Brownells 3 days tops.

Not saying this is all vendors here, but some are lacking. I still continue do business with the slow guys because they support "US". </div></div>

oh and yes opticsplanet is straight up awful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tmckay2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">some of it is size of company and size of orders. they can become pretty efficient when you have more people and are used to high volumes of orders. some vendors here have one employee. or maybe a handful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: boone</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense but most vendors here could learn a lot from Brownells or Midway USA. Just ordered $300 worth of shit from Brownells @ 1400. By 1900 I was tracking my order with UPS. I'll have my items Wednesday.

Not saying this is all vendors here, but some are lacking. I still continue do business with the slow guys because they support "US". </div></div> </div></div>

I realize that. While I some what left that open ended, that's what I meant by supporting the slower guys that support us. I just have to take it consideration the shipping time and order my gear accordingly. However no one as fast as the big retailers other than Liberty Optics and 3rd gen shooting in my experience.

Optics planet is definitely hit or miss. They have been good to me 90% of time. The other 10% issues with in stock items that really aren't. Midway is great for service, and u can always find a coupon right here. Brownells as well and you can get coupons for that too.

When it comes to bullets, brass, powder, well Powder valley no questions!

i used to buy alot of stuff at OP. but anymore it seems their prices are not as good compared to others as they used to be, and customer service is a bit hit or miss.

i just had a situation a few months ago returning a scope with obvious issues, one rep says there will be no refund, the other says no problem "refund issued".

EXAMPLE:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:07:04 AM
Subject: Your OpticsPlanet.com Order 3194XXX Reference 2100XXX On Hold

Greetings from OpticsPlanet.com!

We would like to let you know that we have received the product(s) that you returned to us. Unfortunately, we cannot process the return due to the reason(s) listed below:
==================================================================
Hawke Sport Optics Sidewinder 30 8-32x56 SF Riflescope, 0.5 MilDot 20x Reticle HK4014 $449.99
Item appears to be used.
Item appears to be tested.
The scope was tested by a product specialist. No defective focus issues were found at the stated distances and magnification powers.
The scope has been mounted. Ring marks and scratches are present on the scope tube.
==================================================================
For more information about our Returns Policy, please visit our website at http://www.opticsplanet.net/our-policy.html.

Since we are unable to process your return, we would like to return your item(s) back to you. Please contact us to arrange the payment for your return shipping. If we do not hear back from you within the next 7 days, we will assume that you are no longer interested in receiving your merchandise back and will dispose of it without initiating credit.

We apologize for any inconvenience this matter might have caused you. Please let us know how you wish for us to proceed in handling your return.

We thank you for your understanding regarding this matter!

Best Regards,

OpticsPlanet.com Returns Team
[email protected]
http://www.OpticsPlanet.com
Phone: (847) 513-6201
Toll-Free: (800) 504-5897
Fax: (847) 919-3003

MY RESPONSE:

To: "OpticsPlanet.com" <[email protected]>
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2012 5:37:45 PM
Subject: Re: Your OpticsPlanet.com Order 3194XXX Reference 2100XXX On Hold

What?

Yes indeed I did take it out of the box and looked through it at the range. I DIDN'T MOUNT IT TO ANY RIFLE, but looked through it while resting it on a set of shooting bags to steady it, and went as far as to cover the shooting bags with a towel to as not damage the finish in the event I needed to return it. I don't know where the claim of ring marks came from, as I again, didn't mount it to any rifle before I knew if the scope was nice and I wanted to keep it or not.

At 50 yards the focus seemed good, but the targets DID get blurry at 100 and 200 yards and could not get a crisp focus at around 18x, that is the reason #1 for the return of the item. The combination of the solid black and open inside ringed 1", 1.5", and 6" dots I used to look at through the scope at 100 & 200 yards looked more like greyish ragged blotches around the edge, no matter how the side focus was adjusted, to include adjusting the ocular adjustment. The dots also appeared to have a "double image" to it, looking as if there was a shadow next to the original circle.

So I don't know what your "product specialist" is seeing referenced in the email you sent below, but he or she is not paying attention. I have a 70.00 walmart scope that has sharper focus.

Looking at yet another type of target at 100 yards that was already hanging (an 8" orange circle within a circle witin a circle that graduated down to 1") the same double image described above was prevalent and what seemed to be .22 cal hits could not be easily spotted on between 18 and 25x, with anything above that the hits looked like greyish smudges on the target rather than bullet holes.

Looking at an already posted and used police silhoutte target and several other NRA scoring ring targets at 200 yards along with my 1.5" and 6" dots the scope had the same issue - could not focus clearly, the scoring rings were not visually accute enough to identify with that "double image" and again. What looked to be .30 cal holes in the used targets appeared to be just grey smudges, just like the .22 cal holes at 100 yards. Again I looked through my $70.00 walmart scope, and though not as powerful as the Sidewinder, at max power did a better job at producing a clearer image.

I remember that the day I went to the range to look through the scope which was my Friday off, the weather was perfect sunny, cool mid morning, no "mirage" or heat to distort the image, actually wishing I did bring the rifle as the conditions were perfect for shooting, and certainly clear enough to do a good look through the scope, hoping that it got the "nod" and I could mount it later that day to zero in the rifle, but that was not the case. The bench I sit at is covered, I know there were no glare issues. I returned later that afternoon before I started the return process with the scope, just to make sure of the problems I was experiencing with it, same results.

So I know it wasn't my vision or weather conditions that was causing the problem, as my other scope confirmed it wasn't me that was having the problem.

Reason #2 is that it started to get milky at around 22 power. Edge to edge clarity also suffered, anything past 25X was practically unusable, especially for a $449.00 scope.

It was the combination of these 2 reasons that the scope was returned, was unsatisfied with the scope especially for a scope over $400.00, why else would I return it?

Actually to add to the first 2 reasons, there was also very small "speckles" in the 7 to 8 o'clock position of the glass when looking at a 60watt unshaded clear light bulb, which appeared to be internal. I noticed those while looking through the scope at 8X, but was able to overlook those speckles as they were not in the field of view.

PER YOUR RETURN POLICY FROM YOUR WEBSITE COPIED AND PASTED BELOW:
"We want your experience with us to be easy and hassle-free. If, for any reason, you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you may return most items within 30 days of receipt for an exchange or full refund".

<<<which I am not satisfied with the purchased item>>>

What requirements does OpticsPlanet have in order to return goods?

All items must be returned in NEW condition (i.e., not used, broken or worn), in the original manufacturer's packaging and with all original contents included, e.g., instruction manuals, accessories, additional components.

<<<The item is not used, perhaps broken / defective as I received it, and certainly not worn. If there are any marks on it, they were not from me, not did I notice any marks on it when I received it, or that would have been reason #3 for a return >>>

The item was sent back well within 30 days, the RMA was requested within 5 days.

Here's the thing I don't understand:

I talked to a customer service representative on the phone (I do not remember the operator's name, but recall that the rep was a female) about returning the scope, she said if I'm not satisfied or that the product is defective that I can return it it for a full refund. I explained what was happening and that I took it out of the box to look through when I noticed the focusing and greying issue, and asked if that would be a problem, she said it was no problem to get a refund even though I took it out of the box, as the reply was "well, it's the only way you'ld know it was defective" - or something to those means.

As I was eager to receive the scope, below is a transcript of finding out when the order was going to arrive, it was shipped from the factory:

Chat Transcript

Time of chat:
8/20/2012 1:35:09 PM
Length of chat:
00:05:31
Your name:
XXXXXXX
Chatted with:
Mike M.
1:35 PM
Mike M.:
Hello, XXXXXXX. Give me a second to review your question.
1:35 PM
Mike M.:
One moment please. Let me check on that for you.
1:39 PM
Mike M.:
Your order for the Hawke Sport Optics Sidewinder 30 8-32x56 SF Riflescope, 0.5 MilDot 20x Reticle HK4014 is being shipped to you directly from the manufacturer XXXXXX. At this time they have not given us your tracking information but as soon as the do we will send you your tracking number via email.

1:39 PM
XXXXXXXXXX:
ok, thanks

This transcript was delivered to you courtesy of Velaro, Inc.

So yes, I do want a full refund as I am dissatisfied with the product, and would not like to own a defective scope. I like everything else about the scope, but what is the purpose of it if it can't be clearly focused or clear enough not to get close to max. magnification?

I was assured by your return policy on your website and verbally on the phone by your customer service department that this would be a worry free purchase, which is another reason why I purchase often from Opticsplanet, or have my wife do so for me for Christmas, Birthday, Father's day presents and such.

I want a full refund as I do not have a purpose for a $400.00+ product that is subpar / defective and that has not been mounted or used on a rifle. It does have focusing issues and can not get a usuable magnification range even close to what the product supposedly offers, and especially at the price. Nor do I want another Sidewinder in replacement as the quality of the item is self evident.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings from Opticsplanet.com!

Thank you for contacting us. Our technical specialists looked over the item to confirm if the item was defective or not, as they do will all defective returned items. They were able to use the scope as intended and did not see any defects in the scope. Since the scope was returned with some scratching, we are not able to accept it as a defective return nor are we able to accept it as a unsatisfied with item return. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please advise how you would like to proceed.

Best regards,

Kathleen H.| Sales and Customer Service Specialist
OpticsPlanet, Inc. | Sales and Customer Engagement
o: (847) 513-6201 | f: (847) 919-3003
[email protected] | www.OpticsPlanet.com

in the end, i got a credit from one rep, but then received another email stating that they are not going to issue credit. the credit did come...eventually.

IMO the only thing OP has going for it now is the free shipping, but after the last experience, i'll pay shipping elsewhere.

i'm now dealing as much as i can with webyshops, while not the inventory others have, excellent customer service, above and beyond.

Sorry I didn't see this earlier guys.

Broker - I'm forwarding your experience to the Sales & Customer Service director. We should do a lot better, and I'm sorry for the crappy experience. We deserve the critique.

As far as "in-stock" - did you click "Check Availability" and it said in-stock? The buttons are right under "Add to Cart." We're trying to make them more visible since it's extremely accurate, but very few people use them. We're trying to find ways to get more people to use them without slowing down the site (we tested just having them automatically show up... it made pages load 3x slower and was absolutely awful when someone was just trying to browse and read about products and wasn't sure what they wanted yet.)

If you did click the button and it said in stock, please PM me your order number if you are willing. I'd like to make sure nothing is broken on our end.

Our website used to be a sore spot - we had no way to tell you if anything was in-stock or not until you ordered. It took us way too long to figure out how to do that and have it be accurate, but we did in June 2012 and since then you can check the availability of any product on the website by clicking "Check Availability" under the add to cart button. If it says "In-stock", it's in stock. If it says "Estimated to ship in..." it's not in stock, but we have an ETA from our vendor. Receiving empties trailers all day, seven days a week to keep up with our product turnover, and it'll be that way until we can get more warehouse space. We'd stock more if we just had space.

If it says "Please call, email or chat" we don't know when we'll get it again, but if you contact us we can have someone look into it (maybe manufacturing difficulties, maybe discontinued, etc.)

We're all victims of vendors not meeting ETAs. It sucks, and we know the buck stops with us. We're constantly working to figure out which vendors are reliable with their ETAs, and which aren't so reliable so we give you better information.

Once again - sorry. I hope you'll give us another shot in the future, but I understand your criticism 100%. I'll pass it on so we can do better in the future.

Alessandro M.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i used to buy alot of stuff at OP. but anymore it seems their prices are not as good compared to others as they used to be, and customer service is a bit hit or miss.
</div></div>

I'll pass this on too. Thanks for the feedback TOP PREDATOR and I'm sorry for the frustration - we are working to improve the review process.

Alessandro M.