• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OpticsPlanet

Bullfrog08

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Dec 6, 2018
    What are the experiences here with OpticsPlanet? I am dealing with them now on an issue. What's everyone's experience?

they have always seemed slow to ship to me. not sure on customer service issues. I would find other avenues to purchase if it were me

Reactions: 1J04
    I haven't bought from them in a while since I realized that just because something listed on the website and you can "purchase" it, that doesn't mean it's actually in stock or even available.

I haven't necessarily had a problem with customer service - they've actually been very quick to get in touch with me to let me know the hard to find item i purchased is no longer available.

Reactions: 1J04
    Quick to charge. Slow to ship. But sometimes they have the item(s) I need or a really good price.

My experiences with Optics Planet has been rather mixed.

I've secured some great bargains from them over the years.... and generally when you do communicate with someone there by phone (less so by chat), they've worked with me to my satisfaction.

I recall having once collected a couple of gift debit cards which were going to expire... some other shops i called really didn't want to deal with the hassle but Optics Planet allowed me to use them to satisfy my purchase. That meant a lot and i've stuck by them for the most part.

I must admit however that i have had, on a couple of occasions, purchased something that seemed to be in stock when i placed my order only to find out it was not in stock and then it could take months till the item became once again available or the order eventually cancelled. Quite frustrating. Never had that happen with Brownells or Grafs.

Reactions: StihlTech
    Ha. I just checked on two dies I ordered 8 days ago that were advertised as being in stock. One says it was shipped but the USPS tracking number says USPS is waiting for the item. The other die hasn’t even shipped yet. I had this happen before with them, I forgot. I wouldn’t buy anything from optics planet that you are interested in seeing soon after ordering.

Used to have good service, but the last few years it’s gone the other way. Last three attempts were the same, ordered and paid for but after a week no shipping I had to call. All three “just went out of stock” when I ordered and would be a few weeks before it was back in stock. I’ve made a note of a few places who repeatedly love pulling the “oh, sorry it just went out of stock the minute you placed your order” and avoid them.

Reactions: 2ndamendfan
    Never had any problems. If you are buying big money items, you would be a fool not to call. They will sell at a lower price than advertised.

Reactions: TheDalmore
    Bought a trigger from them. Good price. Shipped next day. Arrived a couple of days later. Was what I ordered and functional upon receipt. I didn't buy a lotto ticket as I figured I had used up all my luck for the week.

mixed bag
    I will buy from them only if the price can't be beat

Like others, I have had mixed experiences. Sometimes items are slow to ship, sometimes they ship right away. Prices are generally good, depending on what it is. I haven't had to deal with any returns so I can't comment on customer service. In general I like them, however they are not my "go to" store online.

Returning is a pain in the ass and you have to be careful about what's actually in stock! I avoid them whenever possible.

Ordered a Sig stock adapter for a Virtus. Showed in stock on the site. They took my money. 7 months later and numerous calls... they had them coming in ready to ship. Then they cancelled my order. Another customer service call to in restore the order. Then they cancelled again. Another customer service call to restore the order again. Finally in August, I got the part I had ordered and paid for In February.

But they gave me a 5% discount for my trouble and patience. Which I never got because in cancelling my order twice that disappeared. Not that I cared about the 4 dollars anyway.

I did care that it took me 5 emails and two hours waiting on customer across 3 phone calls to get a $90 part I paid for months ago and only ordered because it was listed ‘in stock’ when I hit the buy button.

Crappy company. At every level.

Don’t confuse with Eurooptic. Which is a class act!

Cheers, Sirhr

Reactions: TACC
    I've had mixed experiences. Bought a surefire x300 for a killer deal from them it shipped out fast no problems. The other times haven't been all the great, another time I ordered a rmr that was in stock forgot about since I was at work on the boat got home and still no rmr about a month later I got an email saying it was back ordered and it would ship when available after I was already charged for it at the time of checkout.

I much prefer eurooptic to optics planet. Their website is laid out in a more user friendly manner and they always ship quickly

What are the experiences here with OpticsPlanet? I am dealing with them now on an issue. What's everyone's experience?

I've been buying from them for years and have never had a single problem. I get the lowest prices by finding what I want and then asking for their lowest price via live chat. Awesome deals. Free shipping is great, but you have to be patient. If you want it faster, you can pay for that.

Returns are super easy. You just have to be patient for the refund to post to your bank account.

Reactions: stevieb92
    I used their CS recently for an on sale die set that was not shipped after two weeks of waiting. I got a shipment notice and an apology from them within 2 hours of contacting them. I've been a customer with OP for many years and I always check their prices on anything I am looking for. Almost every scope I own has come from them.

Reactions: Centuriator
    to me, its a bit sad that they will charge you the second you place an order (in stock or not) but take their time in a refund. And always blame your bank for the delay. I know that my bank shows any postings as soon as they show up

All this whining about Optics Planet is ridiculous. Use them, or don't use them. They often offer the very lowest price you can get on a particular item, if it is worth it to you to save another $100 or more on something you want, then you order it from OP and you get it, may not be Amazon Prime style shipping speed, but that's it.

As I said, I've been an OP planet for many years and have never had one single issue or problem, but then again, I'm not foolish enough to think they are going to give me free shipping and then rush my order out to me. I always check to make sure the item I want is in stock. I always check first via live chat for the best and lowest price (often have a LOT knocked off the price).

All this whining....first world problems.

As others have posted they are slow to ship other than that no problems.

Never had a problem with purchases or returns. It seems to me this is not the place to air these criticisms.

I would venture that every persons experience with a given company is potentially helpful to others. It is always nice to have some kind of thoughts as to what to expect when dealing with companies. Dont take it as an attack on your company of choice (potentially).

baby crying sounds.jpg

Reactions: Stooxie
    I would venture that every persons experience with a given company is potentially helpful to others. It is always nice to have some kind of thoughts as to what to expect when dealing with companies. Dont take it as an attack on your company of choice (potentially).

Dejo, you joined earlier this month and now half of your comments are about Optics Planet...hmmmm....makes one wonder.

You can attack me. Its ok, I understand. I am a nob, but have had poor experiences with OpticsPlanet. My experiences are just that- my experiences. I do think it is sad that some are offended by others experiences!

That's noob, not nob and why you feel this need to hop on to this forum and then proceed to trash OP is interesting, to me, at least. I'm sad that you are sad.

as they say, you never get a second chance at a first impression. My first impression is that some here may be affiliated with OP and cry about some sharing their experiences

All positive experiences here. I’ve gotten some great deals from them and received the products in a timely manner, but I’ve never tried to return anything.

No complaints here at all. Got a great discount on a Vortex Golden Eagle and got it to me fast.

Was on the pre order list for the new Triggertech AR Diamond...Triggertech later offered a promotional price before release...called CS and they got me that discount to even though they didn't have to. Shipping was fast and order accurate.

Buying from them for years. Never had any issues. Easy returns. Unfortunately they started collecting my local sales tax.

as they say, you never get a second chance at a first impression. My first impression is that some here may be affiliated with OP and cry about some sharing their experiences

I smell OP competitor troll

6 out of 8 comments from the guy who joined forum on Sept 3 are devoted to OP...interesting.

I will always pay more for a product when backed by good customer service. Hell, I paid $40 dollars for 2 day shippong and got the product 5 days later. I really wanted for my trip, but that didnt happen. Wish i had done more research. This is my last purchase with that shady company.

I encourage everyone do to their research before using this company.

OP is not a "shady company" ... that's a stupid claim. And I advise check out the profiles of people making these claims, most of the time. Bullfrog joined in 2018 and has not made a single post on any firearms related topic, let alone nothing on anything having to do with the purpose of this forum. Just bouncing around in the Bear Pit and Maggie's.

Shady behavior, if you ask me.

Reactions: The DFC
    Seems some of us are forgetting one of the rules of this forum...if you feel a need to whine and complain about OP, go file a complain with BBB.

5. Do not Attack Companies

Reactions: The DFC
    Never had an issue with Optics Planet

Generally the item will say expect 1-2 weeks, 15-24 days etc below the “Add to Cart” button. I generally receive my items under the predicted delivery date.

My results have been mixed. Some things I ordered in the past, maybe 4+ years ago shipped quickly. The past 1-2 years has been ultra slow shipping. My friend orders a lot of stuff through DVOR and I think OP bought them, or is the main supplier. He is always whining about the slow shipping. Of course he is the guy that will search the web for weeks to save a nickle...so YMMV

One thing I love about OpticsPlanet is that their coupon system is pretty wonky. When I want to buy something I try ALL the coupons I can find and, yep, sometimes some of them work! The 10% off coupons are a dime a dozen but I've gotten higher ones to work as well.

Just bought a Zev stripped upper receiver for $100 shipped, which include state tax. Got 15% off with a coupon code for rifle stocks. Got the receiver a few days later. I once had a 30% off coupon work when it shouldn't have. Christmas in July.

-Stooxie

One thing I love about OpticsPlanet is that their coupon system is pretty wonky. When I want to buy something I try ALL the coupons I can find and, yep, sometimes some of them work! The 10% off coupons are a dime a dozen but I've gotten higher ones to work as well.

Just bought a Zev stripped upper receiver for $100 shipped, which include state tax. Got 15% off with a coupon code for rifle stocks. Got the receiver a few days later. I once had a 30% off coupon work when it shouldn't have. Christmas in July.

-Stooxie

Always use live chat and ask for the lowest price....90% of time I get a better price than any coupon discount.

Last edited:
    Reactions: Stooxie
    I've had good success with them over the years. Only reason I stopped ordering from them is they now charge sales tax.

Reactions: KML7201
    OP is not a "shady company" ... that's a stupid claim. And I advise check out the profiles of people making these claims, most of the time. Bullfrog joined in 2018 and has not made a single post on any firearms related topic, let alone nothing on anything having to do with the purpose of this forum. Just bouncing around in the Bear Pit and Maggie's.

Shady behavior, if you ask me.

They are a "shady company" in my opnion, and it's stupid for you to claim my opnion is wrong!

Please tell me more about my viewing and internet habits, since you seem to know them so well. I guess I was ordering some drawers for Maggie on OP? I've always found it funny that a post count or content contribution on any forum is a sign of ones ability or intent.

You must be an employee of theirs or have some vested interest with your continued support of OP......that is my view of you. See how easy that is?