• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

optimal .308 bullet for 22" 1:12r twist (hunting)

jayd4wg

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2009
Steel City
not looking for the quick answer here, looking to learn.

There are TONS of hunting and match bullets for the .308, and i'm trying to cut the clutter. I'm having a hard time finding total length of available bullets to use any of the formulas i know, so i'm asking advice.

I have a barely broken in rifle that I want to start loading for. It's a cheap rig, but i'm expecting alot from it and the only way i'm going to get it is to start reloading. I am already getting .5-.7 inches at 100 with winchester 150gr Power Points, going out again this weekend if the wind stays calm to print a good target for here. The gun is doing quite well for what I have into it.

I was originally planning on using Sierra GameKing 150gr's and may still start here but in trying to dig thru the .308 load thread (all gazillion pages of it) it was getting dismal looking for data that represented what I am looking for. Many of you guys are using FMJ or HPBT's but i need a hunting load. If the SHTF scenario ever really played out, i'd stick to hunting loads for ppl as well as food targets anyway, and I've always subscribed to "keep lots of the ammo you usually use". Trouble is, I don't have a "usually" yet.

also, is there anyone in the Pittsburgh area that might like to show a reloading noobie around the block a couple times so i can get a handle on how reloading goes? One can only learn so much from books...

Re: optimal .308 bullet for 22" 1:12r twist (hunting)

I'm using 150gr Hornady BTSP with 46.5gr of RE15. It shoots the same POI as my 155SMK load, so it works out very well for me.

As you know most 30 cals are 1 in 10. The historic exception was the 300 Savage at 1 in 11. I have found that the 130 Barnes TSX takes my 99R from a 1.3 MOA rifle with almost any 150-165 cup and core bullet, to a sub MOA tack driver. It also kills deer and Antelope right now. Not cheap but hunting is a "few shots per year" event, so cost is not an issue.
Good hunting!

tried shooting a 150 and 165 btsp and sst out of a winchester 70 with different charges, no good in that rifle. think it had a 1-12 twist. (180 gr rn flatbase actually shot better)

110 vmax and 165sst shoots well out my savage, 1-10twist, 150 gr not so much.

165sst, btsp, and sp flatbase shot well out of my ruger 77 mkII, unsure of the twist.

except for the winchester 70, i always had good luck with hornady sst for a hunting / target bullet, followed by their btsp, and sp flatbase.

sst also worked great out of a .45 muzzleloader

I think i just saw a tub of RE15...thanks so far gents

Love that Marlin! I have an XL in 270 that after free floating and glass bedding the action, shoots bug holes. The rifle:

DSCN2839.jpg

Did you know that Savage barrels and barrel nuts interchange? Need to face off breech end 4-7 thou (Marlin has bigger bolt lugs).
I just picked up a 22-250 barrel for $75 should be a fun project.
I may rechamber to 22-06...50 grainer faster than a 220 Swift.

Greg...thanks for the link. will look for more with sierra and other bullet mfgr's

Mr. Humble, I love mine too. less than 100 rounds thru it and we are already touching bullets with factory loads. It really likes winchester powerpoint superx in 150gr. i posted a link to a bona fide 1/2 inch group a few days ago. didn't get to take her to the range today, we had FFF today. (forced family fun)...trip to the zoo. Tomorrow maybe for 10-12 rounds just to let'r stretch her legs
smile.gif

Lengh and twist, I think the 165 may be about as heavy (long) as you can reliably go. With a Longer barrel, like 24"(or+) I'd be more comfortable with a 175.

yup, greg I have observed poor stabilization of larger bullets already. Remington 180's simply will not group. the best group i have had required the use of an 8" square SNC target just to mark the hits at 100y. Next up...some 168gr hornady loads I saw at Gander last week. heading out to pick some up in an hour or so.

155Amax devasting on deer etc many here use them as their preferred hunting bullet

Re: optimal .308 bullet for 22" 1:12r twist (hunti

thx Karl. I'm sofa king frustrated with this reloading components issue right now. I found primers. i cannot find powder to save my life. i am not going to buy an 8lb tub yet, I have not rolled a single round yet. no varget, no rl15, no 4064...these seem to be the top 3 powders for guys shooting 22" 1:12 barrels.

150gr. Sierra GK
H4895 52.3 gr.

As Larry called it bug holes

PM me I may have some extra reloading gadgets you could use.

+1 on the 155 amax..

killed many a deer with it... punches paper good too.

if you can't find any of your mentioned powders, you might try some IMR4895 as well...

shot the 155s great outta my 1:12 20" barrel...

I'm niot absolutely certain about 165's, they are near the edeg at that length and twist. Theoretically, if they work at all they shoud work great, the best bullet is the one that's just a smidge lesser than what it takes to destabilize in a particular barrel.

168gr (Hornady A-max and Federal FGMM SMK) work the best in my 20" with 1:12" twist, so they should be OK in your 22" I would think.

I've shot 155 - 190gr projectiles in my 20"

All have stabilized, but I never could get the 190s to shoot well. I just couldn't push em fast enough.

You can shoot any of the mentioned projectiles in a 1:12 barrel. Is it the best twist? not really, but it'll do.

If you are loading your own you will be ok with 155s - 178s in a 22" barrel.

Give me a list of your current components and we can get you started on a good recipe. I've got more than a few that worked quite well in my 20".

thats just it, right now i have no components save for CCI primers that are paid for, just need to pick up.

well that kinda opens it up to just about anything then...

what do you have available to you?

Can you get any of the following:

Win brass - brass you've fired from existing ammo will do well
Varget
IMR4895
H4895

155, 168, 178gr A-max projectiles

any of these bullets will kill just fine, and they punch paper good as well at distance. Your rifle should shoot any of these well provided we can get a good load for you..etc.

What are your rifle specs?

we used to have a reloaders store in pittsburgh but I think they have closed. I have a bunch of mom and pop gunshops to call over the next couple days to get the skinny on avail powder. Gander has the SGK's, I also have a line on some 150 SGKs' for a good price thru a board member. Gander has a few other bullets and then I can go online and pay shipping.

Bullets are not the problem - it's powder right now and though I can get 8lb tubs, i'm not ready for that yet, I don't want to commit to a powder till I know i can make it work as well as I want.

Rifle specs..what more is there to know besides:

Marlin XS7 .308, 22" bbl, 1:12rh twist.

I have currently 40 rds each winchester and federal brass, 20 remington, and i'm sending all my Magtech brass back to Magtech. The first bullets I fired were these Magtechs and the bullets would seize the bolt on every shot. They were mediocre in the accuracy dept as well, and show signs of overpressure. waiting on a ship slip from magtech so I can send them back. I was hoping they would replace with some primers, but they won't do it. I have a 50ct. box of .45 auto coming for which I don't have a gun

I've seen 4064, but don't think gander had the 4895. I'll call around today.
will use them for bartering.