• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optimal Charge Weight load stabilizes ballistics

Casey Simpson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
Actually, the OCW way of finding your load doesn't stabilize sensitive propellants, but OCW allows sensitive propellants to produce ballistics that are more stable.

OCW load "discovery" method allows a shooter find a charge weight that produces a velocity imparted to the bullet within a barrel node that has as its operative characteristic a margin on both sides of the velocity produced by the charge that mocks our ever-changing atmospheric shooting environment. Although RL-17 is (inconsequentially) more sensitive to, and is somewhat more affected by, varying ambient temperatures than propellants of comparable burn rates, this margin allows for, and mocks, shifting environmental temp changes this results in virtual stability on target. Atmospheric pressure changes cause chamber pressure changes which cause velocity changes which cause vertical point of impact changes at our target. The optimal charge weight means the charge produces a velocity that cooperates as much as possible with barrel vibration, allowing for two margins of error; one on either side of the velocity produced by the OCW. While ambient temperature induced velocity changes occur, points of bullet impact at target remain acceptably stable.

I am not a physicist, though I played one in astronomy class in college. This is what seems to be happening in the chamber, barrel, and on the target in my view. Your view may vary.