• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optimal power for fixed zoom?

N2DADARK

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2010
Looking at getting a few fixed power scopes, I'm leaning towards 16 but I was curious what everyone preferred, I don't have acess to a 500+ yard range so I don't need 20 power. Mostly 100 to about 400yrd shots.

"Optimal power for fixed zoom"...now THERE'S a contradiction in terms! ;) Just messing with you.

There is no "optimal" power for a fixed magnification/power optic...just what will be best for YOU given your particular wants/needs. For only shooting out to 400yds regularly, unless you are shooting at VERY tiny targets or you are wanting to shoot tiny groups on paper, I'd say 10x is likely more than sufficient and will give you a good balance of magnification, FOV, ability to use it in lower light conditions, etc., etc. Now, if you think that you want or need more juice than 10x, there are also offerings from companies like SWFA with 12x and 16x fixed magnification optics. I will tell you that depending on the conditions you'll be shooting it, even at only 400yds, mirage can be a real @#$%& the higher in magnification you go with a fixed power and there's no ability to turn down the juice to get a better view. It really becomes an issue of personal preference more than something being "optimal" or not.

Last edited:
Have A SS fixed 16 power. Tried it on a K31 Swiss and then on a CZ453. It now lives in the safe as 16x is just too little FOV and too tight eye box. Go with a 10 or 12 if you must have a fixed power.

OFG

10x would give you decent all-around field-of-view and still give you good (enough) magnification for 1000yrd shots and those that are closer...albeit, the real close targets may be a struggle.

I have a 4.5-14x and I leave it on 14x 99% of the time. The only time I dialed it down to 4.5x was when I had to take a shot at a moving target that was 30yrds away in a match. 14x is also plenty of zoom to see steel out to 1100 yrds.

I was all set to get a fixed 10x for my M1A, but there's something that keeps nagging at me for a fixed 6X. At the ranges you're talking, a 6X would give you enough magnification and a very nice field of view for most any use.

But if you're looking to shoot tiny groups, I would think somewhere between 10x and 16x is the ticket.

I was pricing the SWFA SS series and it's a quarter of the price of a veritable zoom. I leave my 3-10x on 10 most of the time as well like Thrusty. Never really had the chance to shoot movers (would like to) and after I get some more experience with mil'ing and ranging targets I may upgrade again. I'm just trying to reduce the amount of variables like second focal plane and power settings. I think with the info provided the 16 is the max I will go.

Have A SS fixed 16 power. Tried it on a K31 Swiss and then on a CZ453. It now lives in the safe as 16x is just too little FOV and too tight eye box. Go with a 10 or 12 if you must have a fixed power.

OFG

OFG - How did you get a scope mounted on your K31 ?
Been thinking I want to try that.

To OP - I've had some 5-20, 3-10 and fixed 10X scopes. 90% of the time shooting the variables they stay on max magnification.

Sold all my 5-20's and now I miss having the magnification. 10X fixed will definitely get the job done but like higher magnification personally because; I don't want to carry a spotting scope and have a hard time seeing 308 bullet holes in paper past 100 - 200 yards, which is what I'm doing a lot of lately. YMMV.

If you decide on a fixed power scope I would suggest you get one with parallax adjustment.

Last edited:
The best power for a fixed power scope is 1x. Everything else a varible can do better now. At one point and time this was not a true statement, but with modern technology it is a true statement.

fixed 20 sucks... the 16x aint bad, also the 12x SWFA, the 16 and 12 can still be used at ease at 100 and under, the 20 is a PIA...