• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Optimal Tangent Theta Mounting System

surgeon260

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2014
Colorado
I just picked up a TT315M, and I am trying to figure out a mounting solution. I understand that TT recommends no more than 15 in-lbs of ring screw torque, which is less than the recommended ring screw torque on pretty much every mount I use. I was considering using Nightforce Ultralite 30mm 4 screw rings - are people using those rings with success at 15 in-lbs? What is the preferred lightweight mount for TT scopes that performs well at 15 in-lbs?

The rifle is a hunting weight 300 Norma improved shooting 215s at 3200, so recoil is a consideration.

My situation is probably a bit different than yours in that I use Hawkins Hybrid rings directly mounted to the receiver. The top of the rings is the same as most in that it is a 4 screw top. I have the rings torqued to 18 in lbs with no issues on the 315M. You could go to 20 and probably still be gtg. Mine’s only a 300WM though, but I have not had any issues with either the scope or mounting system. In fact, both have performed flawlessly. Oh, and congrats on picking up that sweet scope.

Not exactly light weight but my 5x25 G3XR is in a Spuhr at 15in lbs. Blue Loctite#242 and no issues.

Edit: With a quality set of rings and hardware (taper head screws, matched rings and caps) or mount, 15in lbs should provide enough clamping pressure to secure the scope from recoil. You could also use a hint of rosin in the rings to help with recoil concerns. I would mount the scope, torque to 15in lbs. let your thread locker set up properly, then verify torque after a range trip.

Last edited:
Reactions: BCX
Just run ARC and be done. The 15 in/lbs spec is based normal rings.

I can’t remember ever seeing anyone having and issue with ARC at their recommended torque as the clamping is different than regular rings.

Reactions: Birddog6424
Rosin, blue Loctite, or clear nail polish will help secure the scope into the rings w heavy recoiling rifles.

I use clear nail polish w a Spuhr mount on one of my 338 LM AI.

Eratac suggests small stripes of latex if the user doesn't want to glue a scope in.

So I emailed Tangent Theta with this question, and they responded (very quickly) that they recommend Badger rings, torqued to 15 in-lbs. So I ordered some Badger alloy rings...we will see how they hold up to 300 Norma recoil. If I see any slipping, I guess I will have no choice but to try rosin powder.

It was surprising to find out that TT tubes are sensitive to ring screw torque. I am used to dealing with Schmidt & Bender tubes that are indestructible. It makes me think that maybe TT won't be as durable?

Reactions: BCX
So I emailed Tangent Theta with this question, and they responded (very quickly) that they recommend Badger rings, torqued to 15 in-lbs. So I ordered some Badger alloy rings...we will see how they hold up to 300 Norma recoil. If I see any slipping, I guess I will have no choice but to try rosin powder.

It was surprising to find out that TT tubes are sensitive to ring screw torque. I am used to dealing with Schmidt & Bender tubes that are indestructible. It makes me think that maybe TT won't be as durable?

My guess would be they have had warranty issues from the guys who crank stuff until it breaks and back up a 1/4 turn.

I wouldn't be afraid to go tighter if you do get some slip. Just witness mark and go from there.

I might be wrong but it also depends on particular mount/rings, for ERA-TAC mount the range is 15-18 in-lbs as far as I remember.

I have to ck but i use 25 in LBS on my Eratac w a heavy boomer..

I raaarely go above 18 in/lbs...never had issue with slipping...just buy quality rings/mount...