• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Options/Advice needed for a precision AR, ideally from 25-600 yrds (Noob shooter)

rob_dixon72

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2019
Clean slate shooter, only now reading up on optics. Learning as fast as I can but gun comes wedensady so want to get one soon!

Platform: .223 Wylde Barrel 18.5” (on a POF Renegade + SPR AR platform).

Cartridge: I can use both .223 Rem and 5.56x45 out of it.

Intended use: Target shooting and plinking from standing position (25 – 100yards mainly) and bench shooting up to 600 yards. It's unlikely I would shoot farther than 600 as I am A NEW shooter, and truthfully i am not even sure the 223 ballistics allow 1000 but the range I go to does have a 1000 yard!! No hunting or competition anything. Bright Daylight only.

Specific specs I would like: Hopefully Lower weight . I think 30 mm is the typical for the AR. I am brand new, so MRAD/MOA and FFP and SFP sights I have no experience in, but it seems i should start with MRAD and i believe First focal plane was the recommendation. I only know high level info, which is why i am in your forum!!

Price range: Under $1300 but ideally under $1K. Rifle was $1900.

All that said, my gun enthusiast friend simply stated to go with a Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x FFP MRAD. I looked at it, and was great except it seemed super heavy (compared to the Leapold VX5HD (about the same price) if that's even an apples to apples comparison. Not opposed to the vortex but wondering other options here.

Main questions: As I said above, I also want to shoot STANDING UP CLOSE so would the 3x magnification hinder that? He suggested offset irons,an offset red dot or getting 2 optics each with a QD mount. But that seems $$$$. I also was looking at a 1x6 24 optics. These were much lighter, but do they go far enough in actual practice? I am not sure if I can practically shoot to 600 yards with a 1x6, as I am new to it all.

IN short: Need options/suggestions based on above.. Thanks snipershiders

How far you can shoot with a particular magnification depends on the size of the target. For typical steel plates in decent light, there is no issue with shooting out to 600 yards with 4x or 6x or 8x.

If you want a one scope solution, something like Burris XTR II 1-8x24 might be the ticket or GPOTAC 108x24 if you can find one in your price range:

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2410

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=2050

Otherwise, a PST Gen 2 3-15x44 with offset red dot is a good setup. However, for a new shooter, I would probably lean toward the 1-8x24 route. Practice with that for a while and once you get some experience, you'll have a better idea of what works for you.

ILya

Reactions: Soulezoo
When you speak of standing and shooting up close, you will struggle if you don’t have a true 1x. How close do you call close? It sounds like you are trying to do the two things that are hard to do, cqb, and mid range with the same optic. The above advice is pretty solid. A 1-8 would let you do a little of both. Two optics on QD mounts would let you do it for sure, and then you could actually go with a better scope for the longer ranges. An offset red dot will automatically put you in open class if you shoot any 2gun or 3gun.

A compromise between the 1-8 and 3-15 might be a 2-10 like the burris xtrii or nightforce 2.5-10 if you can find a deal on a used one.

I have the 1.7-10x Meopta Meostar R2 which is a great piece of glass, lightweight, illuminated and the BDC3 reticle is simple yet effective. SFP only though if that's a deal breaker

Reactions: gr8fuldoug
I have the 1.7-10x Meopta Meostar R2 which is a great piece of glass, lightweight, illuminated and the BDC3 reticle is simple yet effective. SFP only though if that's a deal breaker
We have the Meopta MeoStar 1.7-10x42's on special for only $1,049.99 in choice of reticles. Please give a call, 516-217-1000 to discuss it

What type of targets are you going to be shooting at 600? Are you shooting steel or are your shooting for tiny groups. I have shot my 1-6 scopes out to around 800 on steel effectively. It’s obviously easier with a higher power scope but then you loose up close speed. 1-6/1-8 type scopes are in my opinion the best compromise for an AR unless you are really wanting to focus on long range precision, if that’s the case I would go 3-15.

Tiny groups probably as those distances would be at the range.

I am leaning towards a 1-8 scope initially now. Burris XTR II 1-8×24 seems to be well recommended, with the nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 being the best but crazy expensive.

Reactions: Birddog6424
I've had a Burris 1-8 and my buddy has the nx8. Both are good piece of glass with the nod going to the night force in my opinion. To stay in the lower end of the budget the Burris will be great. If you truly want small and light the nx8 will probably be worth the extra. I also love that it is pretty much a red dot on the low end since I usually shoot a dot. That was my main issue with the Burris (it was more of a donut on 1x) and the main reason for selling. I will be getting the nx8 in the future and besides .2 clicks I actually prefer it to the atacr 1-8

I hunt and shoot steel out to 1000 with my AR. From cottontails, jackrabbits, fox, bobcat and coyotes to javalina. From under 10 yards and running to 1000, a good 3-15x50 is what I choose. With practice and good target acquisition, 20 yards on a running jackrabbit or coyote is second nature on 3x. With other rifles I have, a 3-15 is plenty for shooting out to 1500+. And shooting small groups out to 1000 are just fine with 15x.

6.5 Grendel with a PST G2 3-15 and offset RMR. In all honesty the time doesn’t really get much use. It’s not comfortable to get behind but it’s there “in case”. Built the rifle as a do all SPR/Patrol Rifle
2FEE0472-000D-4B27-8414-D9BB55D0CE8B.jpeg

With a 77 grain SMK bullet you will be sonic out to around 700 yards. A 20" barrel is sonic out to around 800. (Typical MK262 performance) Past there you can hit plates pretty well but 77's don't always drop through trans sonic without tumbling. Longer barreled bolt actions will keep a heavier .223 bullet supersonic to 1000 yards.

Depending on targets if your not shooting it in Service Rifle matches I'd say 1-8x Vortex Viper. Of course, I've shot iron sights since 98 and just started shooting scopes about a year and a half ago. There may be a 1-10x or 2-16x that fits your need also.

Since you’re not interested in an optic designed for shooting people in combat or for competition there is literally 0 reason whatsoever to buy a 1-6 or 1-8 optic. If you want to shoot “tiny groups at distance” as well as targets within 100yds get a 25x variable optic with an offset RDS.

For you being a newbie and all-swfa 3-15 and a Burris fastfire.

hypno02, Yeah I have now had multiple people (of decades of experience) tell me to skip the 1-6x or 1-8x and just get the 3-15x.

I did manage to find a Vortex razor 1-6 for $1049 which I understand to be a steal of a price, but I can return it. Just wanted to grab it at that price while i decided. Going to a show this weekend to see these things a bit better.

Thanks all. Much respect.

Tiny groups probably as those distances would be at the range.

I am leaning towards a 1-8 scope initially now. Burris XTR II 1-8×24 seems to be well recommended, with the nightforce ATACR 1-8x24 being the best but crazy expensive.
You could split the difference and get a Primary Arms platinum series 1-8x24 w/ either an ACSS reticle which is an exceptional DMR reticle or their version of a mil dot. Their warranties are excellent as is their customer service. Their platinum serious is mlso manufactured by light optical works of Japan.,,,,,

My first instinct would be to,tell you to buy the Nightforce Atacr 1-8 then since your new, why spend that kind of Money? Imwould then suggest Going with the NF NXS 1-8z24 which is a SFP however it’s much lighter and as long as u keep,it on either 1 power or eight power you won’t have any issues if you need to perform any calculations. Since those are still out of your price range u couldmthen Then consider the primary Arms next and finally the Burris 1-8x24....good luck these are great problems! I forgot to mention the Vortex Razor gen 2 (1-6x24).....that is another SFP so it’s not the best but it’s certainly good.....just another option....

I did manage to find a Vortex razor 1-6 for $1049 which I understand to be a steal of a price, but I can return it. Just wanted to grab it at that price while i decided. Going to a show this weekend to see these things a bit better.

If you have the Razor 1-6 in hand you should absolutely mount it up and start practicing with it. That is an excellent scope. Once you get some rounds with it you will start to see if it’s a good fit for the type of shooting you want to do.

hypno02, Yeah I have now had multiple people (of decades of experience) tell me to skip the 1-6x or 1-8x and just get the 3-15x.

The G2 1-6 is a great optic. It may not be perfect for your application but at least it'll get you shooting! Good luck.

I run a 2.5-10 NXS on my 3-gun rig. Iused to have a 1-6, but found that i was wishing i had more magnification more times than not. Everybody runs a 1-6 or 8, but I figure that I NEVER have my scope dialed down to 1x and haven't wished I had it. The only thing I don't like about that scope is it's a SFP. cost me some time on a recent stage where I had the magnification set at 6-7 instead of 10. My holdover was jussssst a bit off on the 300 yd target.
10x is enough power to hit IPSC steel at 750 consistently with my 75gr loads.

Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15 APLR3.

Might be a tad heavier than what you're looking for. But really don't think you'll notice it. It has parallax down to 10 yrds and anything inside that is point and shoot. At 2.5 it's easy to two eyes open and just use the reticle like a red dot. Turn on illumination if you like. Well under your price range and will give similar feel and clarity.

https://athlonoptics.com/product/rifle-scopes-ares-btr/

...I NEVER have my scope dialed down to 1x and haven't wished I had it.

When scopes were first allowed in Service Rifle the assumption was that in Off-hand (Standing) shooters would use 1x to keep the bull in the scope because of the wobble. After the first few matches just about everyone leaves the scope at 4x. I don't shoot the scope under 100 yards.

For 1K I have a 24x. I like the fixed power.

I think that fixed focus scopes are clearer and low power scopes are brighter for low light conditions, given equal quality lenses.

Honestly, recommended low power variable scopes on the above advice for short range.